Warning Newton Abbot Race Course Cyclepath Black Ice!

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
NATURAL ANKLING

Warning Newton Abbot Race Course Cyclepath Black Ice!

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Newton abbot cyclepath rear of horse race course. Will still be ice :!:
Fell of on black ice on centre bridge with sluices, tried to warn other users and another cyclist came to grief :(
He was on ground for some time, I asked whether they needed ambulance but declined.

I had no option as to phone 999, not sure they took me seriously as they finally asked if it was ok to give my number to council.
Phone went dead after that.
This was 8 am today.
I apologise if anyone else has fallen since then.................I did try......also warned other cyclist I saw on way home about the ice, stopped several people from crossing without caution..................but I was injured so decided to get home, could not walk.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Warning Newton Abbot Race Course Cyclepath Black Ice!

Hi,
Hit ground and smashed my head and helmet cracked is now useless, that's my first concern my head.
Remember cursing and drawing breath trying to work out how bad I was hurt which always happens in the first ten seconds or so.
Landed on hip and elbow, glove ripped.
Hip hurts and leg sore, hands hurt and lay on ground for some time hoping no broken bones.
Managed to get up and leg weak and sore.
Limped all the time and within a few minutes could not walk.

Warned oncoming cyclist but they fell on other bridge yards away, they might of panicked.........sorry, he looked bad about 65 years I guess.
After I warned other users and phoned 999, I struggled to get on bike, having to lift my leg over with hand.
Started cycling the 9 miles home, was slow and sore and a bit apprehensive at falling again, not on ice as there was none on the road I came along, just the bridge over water and marshland.
Increasingly slow and could not bear weight standing, leg collapsing.
Now using the granny on every hill and into 24 x 30 on 26.5 wheel, struggled in first gear up hills.
Leg now pretty useless and good leg was starting to complain, feel weak and think I need to keep legs turning, If I was to stop not sure I could start off again.

Traffic through lanes so leant on wall and nearly could not get going again, last hill was hard but managed to get to gate with slowest approach ever.

Had to lift left off bike whilst leaning against wall.
Could not walk at all so leant my chest on saddle and hopped to rear gate.
Struggle to get gate open leg will not take any weight.
Got to ramp at back door but could not make the 3 " step (a ramp for my old dogs to save steps) sat on ramp and shuffled to conservatory door.
Dragged myself through door on floor to rear house door.
I then realised I hade left a slick of blood on carpet.
Could not manage the door handle so phoned er in doors to wake her and ask for help.
Gash in left elbow 1- 1.5", this is where blood is coming from, I though because of leg it might be hip.
She patched up cut through skin so not to poor more blood on carpet.
Then I could drag myself onto seat but not walk so crawled slowly to lounge.

Falling off I was a bit surprised my head hit the ground with a whack (slight, very slight sensation that I have had a hit at home but fine) I would normally say learn how to fall :!:
Not so..........fallen off trails bike many times and never felt head ache, probably motorcycle helmet is very heavy duty compared with cycle helmet.
Pulled a muscle on inside of thigh, much pain to bear weigh and then instantaneously leg collapses.
Red lump on palm of hand, gash and now bruising to elbow, sure hip will be black and blue, apart from that OK :)

Not moved from sofa for past hour or so, taken some parracetemol and some naproxen.
just asked for a bucket so I don't need to crawl to toilet.................
Not fallen on ice in 42 years, but this is a cycle path with bridges, and a nice wooden bridge with a sheet of something covered with grit but most importantly, it holds water and hence the black ice, no draining for yesterdays rain and night freeze?

Hope other users since will be OK, I was feeling guilty I did not wait longer hoping some authority would turn up and block bridge.
Nearly turned back twice, I feel I did my bit, not sure what the cyclist that fell and his two mates would of done even after their fall.................?

My helmet cracked has probably saved something, I am 59 and rate my self as half soft old git :P
Edited for grammar :(
Last edited by NATURAL ANKLING on 27 Nov 2017, 1:13pm, edited 2 times in total.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Sorry to read about your fall and hope you recover soon.
I'd get to A&E and have your injuries checked out if they're as bad as you say,you cant be too careful.
As regards 999 call,the police won't regard it as an emergency and shift it to the LA as fast as a ball passed to the winger.

I fell on black ice last winter uright one second down the next,no chance,this was on a bad road on a corner near houses.There was a grit bin nearby so I limped over to one of the houses and asked to borrow a spade to spread some grit,the chap told me it was known for black ice and people fell all the time there in winter,and added that the council don't grit the roads.
I didn't bother asking him why people who live there didn't,as it was only a ten minute job.I reckon I stopped four more cyclists falling that day by warning them as I was speading grit with the borrowed spade,and who knows how many others or cars skidding on it.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Sorry to hear about your injuries and I hope you recover quickly.

This is one of my doubts about segregated cycling farcilities of every type: rarely, if ever, are they treated to prevent the formation of ice, remove snow, whatever. Indeed, if they are adjacent to a carriageway, they are likely to be used as a convenient dumping place for snow cleared from there, or the entrances across the farcility.

PS, on the subject of the police, I'm not sure what options they have other than notifying the highway authority. :? Not that that will achieve much, especially on a Sunday. IME, the highway authority line is that they do their best with limited resources and treat roads in advance, making best use of weather forecasts. Generally, the gritters are out during the night and the crews have gone home by the time morning traffic starts.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

thirdcrank wrote:Sorry to hear about your injuries and I hope you recover quickly.
+1
Get well soon, and get down to the health centre tomorrow morning.

I've fallen on black ice twice in my cycling life, and once as a 14 year old on a frozen pond, but that was my fault entirely as I was seeing if I could ride successfully on ice ..................... and I couldn't. :lol:

Black Ice 1
I was commuting to work, and was about four miles into my seventeen. I often pass the point where I fell, and it always puts my mind back to that morning. I fell over to the left, and hurt my elbow and bent the LH crank. I carried on to work, and over lunch took the crank out and got it in the vice and whacked it with a mallet to straighten it. It was fine afterwards and lasted for years. My elbow was bruised and hurt, but recovered in a day or two.

Black Ice 2
Down the bottom of our lane, turning left. Bang! I was off! No problem with me or the bike, but I tore my tights on the left knee. Darning needle sorted it.

Neither of those falls, was I wearing a helmet ............. but that's another subject.
Mick F. Cornwall
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

Sorry to hear of the fall. I had a ride planned on Friday in the Lake District but turned back after 3 miles because of ice. Bridges are often the worse for ice as they have less heat retained in them and lightweight pedestrian/cycle structures are often worse.
rjb

Post by rjb »

Sorry to hear that NA. Yep do get yourself checked out asap. I came off 4 years ago on a slippery junction, mud from fields churned up by tractors with leaking oil. Broken pelvis and when we arrived at A&E i was queued up tying up the ambulance for 1/2 an hour as casualty was overflowing. The paramedic had warned me on the way because on Sunday afternoons A&E fills up with timewasters looking for a sick note for Monday morning. :shock:
Take it easy for a couple of days. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Crawled to the loo once.
Had to let er indoors do the lunch and dinner, was OK :)
Very slight improvement with weight bearing.
Not sure how I have injured a muscle on inside of top thigh, right where your saddle goes?
Might well be the saddle.
Sleeping will be a laugh.
Thanks for all your get wells.
rjb

Post by rjb »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Not sure how I have injured a muscle on inside of top thigh, right where your saddle goes?
Might well be the saddle.
Sleeping will be a laugh.
Thanks for all your get wells.

Not uncommen - ive had that missfortune too. soft tissue damage, it will get better but may take a couple of weeks. :(
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

I really would consider getting those injuries properly checked out.

This is precisely why I avoid cycle paths, when there is a liklihood of ice.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Phoned doc's this morn, for another pre arranged thing (BP), will say I can't weight bear at all so can't get out of house still crawling to loo :(
Can't lift leg whilst sitting, doc's will probably suggest rest and anti inflammatory meds etc, never pulled these muscles before (over extending probable cause with fall) its a bummer as I guess will keep me house bound for some time :(
Only chance of getting out of house is with a stretcher / poss wheel chair, saw a zimmer at tip the other day :)

Problem with over phone diagnosis is that it can be a bit hit and miss.
What seemed like a back pain last time was Facet impingement syndrome, which can also mimic gut problems which I suffer too.
Before that is was a muscle pull which turned out to be shingles :o .

Your stuck with my whingeing whilst I am stuck with the tv and reading posts here :mrgreen:
Washing won't happen anytime soon :P
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
eileithyia wrote:I really would consider getting those injuries properly checked out.

This is precisely why I avoid cycle paths, when there is a liklihood of ice.

Yes, a run down road or bridle path / track even over the moors is predictable and its visible problems are easily read.
Wooden bridges can hide hidden dangers for sure.
I will try and contact relevant groups but up to now have failed to get a response at all from councils..............
mjr

Post by mjr »

On Saturday, it was cold enough for ice to form (shade air temperature was zero deg C - as I understand it, ground temperature is about four degrees colder), but it was dry and sunny so only one cycleway river bridge had actually frozen, as far as I saw. Nevertheless, we kept to gritted roads almost all the way.

In general, my rule of thumb if it's below four degrees is to wait until it warms up and thaws if that's an option, else to take the studded-tyred MTB if it's available and practical (I'm not taking it on a train or bus, plus I can fit what I need in a bar bag, seatpack or backpack), else to take the folding bike or clunker - I can jump off the folding bike quickest if it all goes wrong and I'll cry less if the clunker crashes - with their tyres near the minimum pressures needed to avoid pinch flats, in the hope of extra grip, plus stick to the gritted carriageways shown on the council winter map.

No cycleways are gritted by Norfolk County Council. This is crap, of course, but there are bigger maintenance problems to worry about before I campaign much on this aspect. A short stretch over a railway bridge seems to be gritted by someone (Network Rail?) but there's no way to reach it without riding on untreated ones - it's not quite as mad as it sounds because the bridge freezes over much more often than the ground-level routes.

I've read on another forum that Cambridge's quad bike gritter is back in use this winter :)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote: ... up to now have failed to get a response at all from councils..............

The otherwise total pain Richard Madeley is just about the only person in history to have got anywhere over this and IIRC, he embarrassed Blair to achieve it. Looking on the bright side, road salt is one of the worst things you can get on a bike.
PH

Post by PH »

Ouch! Bad luck, get yourself properly checked out and hope you make a speedy recovery.