How heavy are Pashley bikes?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
rmurphy195

How heavy are Pashley bikes?

Post by rmurphy195 »

There's nothing on theier web site. A friend of mine has just bought a Pashley Roadster Sovereign, and has been told it weighs 24kg (that's a sack of spuds!). I haven't seen it, but even with all the bits on it doesn't seem likely. Or does it?
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
pete75

Re: How heavy are Pashley bikes?

Post by pete75 »

rmurphy195 wrote:There's nothing on theier web site. A friend of mine has just bought a Pashley Roadster Sovereign, and has been told it weighs 24kg (that's a sack of spuds!). I haven't seen it, but even with all the bits on it doesn't seem likely. Or does it?

Why not just weigh it?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
mjr

Post by mjr »

rmurphy195 wrote:There's nothing on theier web site. A friend of mine has just bought a Pashley Roadster Sovereign, and has been told it weighs 24kg (that's a sack of spuds!). I haven't seen it, but even with all the bits on it doesn't seem likely. Or does it?

IIRC, they are really that heavy, a full 7½kg heavier than a similar-spec Dutchie and double the weight of a Gazelle Van Stael.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
barrym

Post by barrym »

Need to specify what bike and size really. This link gives Guvnor details.

https://stuffdavelikes.wordpress.com/pashley-guvnor/
--
Cheers
Barry
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Maybe you could even type "Pashley Roadster Sovereign weight" into Google and find it weighs 22.5 kg not far off a bag of tates.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

pete75 wrote:Maybe you could even type "Pashley Roadster Sovereign weight" into Google and find it weighs 22.5 kg not far off a bag of tates.

Maybe bikes are getting heavier like cars %-)
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Traditional Pashley's are certainly no lightweights! One reason there aren't many in this neck of the woods!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
mjr

Post by mjr »

pete75 wrote:Maybe you could even type "Pashley Roadster Sovereign weight" into Google and find it weighs 22.5 kg not far off a bag of tates.

"weight is based upon one of these bicycles weighed in the 22.5" size" so the full-size one with the double top tube will weigh more and even then, based on my 16½kg Streetfinder (even with the rubbish thin original tyres - list weight by EBC 15kg), I would expect that estimate of the mid-size one to be slightly flattering.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

yup, I have weighed a pashley sovereign frameset and it weighed about 12-1/2 lbs. That is about double the weight of a 531DB frameset. The current SA hubs fitted to those bikes are very heavy indeed; in particular the latest model of SA 5s hub is the heaviest ever. A large sprung Brooks saddle is a heavy old thing by itself.

That the whole bike weighs over 22kg is quite believable.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

foxyrider wrote:Traditional Pashley's are certainly no lightweights! One reason there aren't many in this neck of the woods!
Not many around here either. All the postmen/women drive around in vans now. Even on the short distance rounds bicycles have been replaced by hand trolleys. :evil:
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Thanks or the replies all. I must admit I simply didn't believe my friend when he told me it was that heavy (as I said I haven't actually seen the bike yet). He's just taken up cycling to get fit, and has to keep in lower gears due to knee trouble! And yes, he tells me it is a bit like hauling around a sack of spuds, but it's what he fancied.

I must admit I do like the look of the Guvnor, which is probably quite heavy, but I live in a hilly bit of Birmingham so I need the gears (especially at my age!), Hadn't even though of how heavy they were, though. Might try and hire one to use o the Stratford Greenway if I can, just for the fun of it!

Thanks again - Richard
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
Roadster

Post by Roadster »

They make lightweight cycles as well. Their Countryman, for example, has Reynolds 531 main tubes and all-alloy components. It weighs around 27 lbs or so (similar to my traditional Holdsworth steel tourer) and only needs different handlebars to transform it into a "Sports Roadster":-
http://www.pashley.co.uk/bikes/bicycles/countryman.php
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

FWIW I have used a Pashley Sovereign for some years and the weight isn't a big deal provided you have the gears, there are not too many hills and you are not in a hurry. I guess the extra weight makes you ~10% slower on hills and that is about it. There is an aerodynamic speed deficit on the flat that is bigger than that if you are sat upright, nothing to do with the weight.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
mjr

Post by mjr »

Guvnors are much lighter, but I'd still be looking at the Van Stael which is still steel but even lighter yet has mudguards. Even harder to find one to test, though.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Thanks for the replies everyone - I dropped Pashley a line and they came back with a very nice response, which shows the Guvnor is quite a bit lighter than the roadsters - reproduced below. I suspect that not only the saddle, but the mudguards (Steel?), chainguard, coat guard, rear rack and the rather grand drop-down stand add a bit. When I've seen and tried my friend's bike I'll see if the handlebars, seatpost etc. are steel as well!

"Good Morning Richard

Thanks for getting in touch,

Our bicycles do tend to vary in weight depending on the size of the bicycle and even with each bicycle built, This is due to the hand crafted nature of our bikes that does allow some variance in amount of braze and metal used, But I must lend this attribute to the charm of the bicycle and it is certainly something that the machine built cycles of other companies do not adhere to, Our bicycles are built to be comfortable and robust, this does tend to increase weight slightly over modern hybrid style cycles, but will certainly out last them!

That said I do have our average weights for the Roadster and Guvnor models, The Roadster Sovereign will average around 23kg and the Guvnor will weigh around 14.5kg as it is built with the lighter weight "racing" steel.

I do hope this helps
Blake Lavelle Customer Service Manager"

Even so, I must admit if I had the dosh I'd like one, just for the fun of it!