Pothole repair automation

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
MikeF

Re: A positive thread

Post by MikeF »

old_windbag wrote:Heres a "streetview" of the NCN1 route. This is used by tourist coaches to access a long stay car park. You can traverse along online this and see what is acceptable as a major cycle route( the land is Duke of Northumberlands I believe ). The potholes which have strewn their gravel everywhere are typically 3-6 inches deep and once rain filled you have no idea of what you are dropping into. I always advise tourists to be very aware of the poor state and take care. The choice is a 60mph road with blind bends to cut that section out. :( .

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.3536775,-1.6073152,3a,75y,180h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1seRizz2X1KMIb-nZWwSO9xQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
But that hasn't any trees, leaves, sticks or mud, and it's wide. Try East Sussex section of NCN21! ( no Google streetview)
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
old_windbag

Re: Pothole repair automation

Post by old_windbag »

MikeF wrote: and it's wide.

It's not very wide when trying to thread a route between all of the potholes which are so frequent at various points that they cover the whole width of the road. This is why it has streetview because it is used by cars( residents+caravans ) and coaches, hence the constant damage.

It's not a race to the bottom it's highlighting something totally unsatisfactory to offer as a major cycle route that gets used by many foreign tourists arriving by ferry.

But if this is how we want to sell ourselves to cycle tourists then so be it.......

Many sections of sustrans path are cleared of debri, leaves etc by volunteers( anyone can become one ) but actual maintenance of a non adopted highway is outside of their control. This should not be so on such a national network. Prior to this track being part of NCN1 the route took an alternative slightly longer course using small c_roads, this was still signed until around 5yrs ago but all signs since removed, I think to offer both choices on NCN1 map would be the better way. I think they did similar on C2C route where alternate sections were offered as options for non off-road bikes.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

al_yrpal wrote:.......
The machine has a nozzle on a moveable boom projecting from the front of what appears to be a normal lorry. First the boom sprays what appears to be hot steam into the hole. Then the steam continues accompanied by tarred grit which fills the hole and the boom is moved around to feather off the edges. Finally the lorrys heavy wide rear wheels go back and forth over the tarred area to compact the tarred grit. Then its off to the next hole.

I thought I'd read that Norfolk had purchased such a machine (or similar) but can't find anything about it online now. But I have noticed some pothole repairs appearing that have a "surface coating" of fine chippings (not problem size or amounts). These ones are much better in terms of being flat (i.e. no mound, no bumps). But not seen the machine doing it and I have still seen men with a lorry and whacker plate undertaking repairs si I'm unsure.

Ian
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

old_windbag wrote:
MikeF wrote: and it's wide.

It's not very wide when trying to thread a route between all of the potholes which are so frequent at various points that they cover the whole width of the road. This is why it has streetview because it is used by cars( residents+caravans ) and coaches, hence the constant damage.

It's not a race to the bottom it's highlighting something totally unsatisfactory to offer as a major cycle route that gets used by many foreign tourists arriving by ferry.

But if this is how we want to sell ourselves to cycle tourists then so be it.......

Many sections of sustrans path are cleared of debri, leaves etc by volunteers( anyone can become one ) but actual maintenance of a non adopted highway is outside of their control. This should not be so on such a national network. Prior to this track being part of NCN1 the route took an alternative slightly longer course using small c_roads, this was still signed until around 5yrs ago but all signs since removed, I think to offer both choices on NCN1 map would be the better way. I think they did similar on C2C route where alternate sections were offered as options for non off-road bikes.
I agree; the NCN doesn't justify being called a National Cycle Network at all.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

Incidentally the one-show had a pothole filling test comparing 3 methods. Clearly the long term success of these methods couldn't be tested but it was more the speed of repair and the cost. The one that won was an automatic system using the similar spray of chips+bitumen as to the original OP's.

It's made in sunderland, the one the one-show used, by a company called velocity.

http://www.velocitypatching.com/
QUIST

Post by QUIST »

The roundabout on corporation St in Derby has two semi circular potholes (2" wide by 18" long despite numerous requests by self they are the subject of repairs which do little and last for no time before reverting to how they were .

Part of this is as they are subject to Public Service Vehicles and HGVs so the tarmac is churned up -I've found the most effective use in the past has been to use either Fill that Hole or ask my local councillor