Canoe

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mrjemm

Re: Canoe

Post by mrjemm »

If you have time and inclination for a short break, R2, I have heard good things, and read good reviews about the 'Canoe Man' on the Norfolk Broads-

http://www.thecanoeman.com/

You can pick up some skills, have a camping and canoeing break and get to see the Narfik Brards, that I think are really nice. We actually got our kayaks when we lived in Norwich in order to explore the Broads, and by comparison, the Lakes and local waters to us now don't compare (for paddling)- lots of little creeks and islands to explore, with more backwaters and small channels to make round trips less repetitive; which is one reason we paddle less now- Mme is bored of going up one side of a lake and back t'other, or down a canal and back. I suppose one option would be take a bike in the car and lock it up where you'll come out, go drop the car and start paddling. Get to the bike and cycle back to the car while the kids/etc. hang back with the boats.

Don't need a big car though!

PanKay1sm.jpg
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Don't need a big car though!

Or even a car at all...

(We get two sea 17' kayaks or a canoe on a Skoda Fabia with no real problems)

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

That bottom picture is brilliant!
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

mrjemm wrote:If you have time and inclination for a short break, R2, I have heard good things, and read good reviews about the 'Canoe Man' on the Norfolk Broads- ...

Avoid !!!
He has a very bad reputation in other canoe/kayak clubs in the area and a bad reputation at marinas/landing areas/etc. I wont go through details as to the reason for that reputation (here) but there are loads of better places in the area.

Ian
dodger

Post by dodger »

Watched both canoes and kayaks on lake at the Cotswold Water Park last weekend.
At one stage I saw a canoe with aperson using one paddle in a very smooth fashion, easily keeping pace with 2 kayaks with a lot more frenzied paddle action. Perhaps it was down to experience, but the open canoe looked so right.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

It is experience, but getting it is enjoyable even before you're there.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

reohn2 wrote:Thanks everyone for your input.I'm giving it a good coat of thinking,especially about a course,I'll let you how we get on.

How did you get on?

I could use a canoe to cross the river, there is no bridge, have to cycle 10 km to cover 200 m %)
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
PH

Post by PH »

yakdiver wrote:I would seriously think on doing the BCU 1 star course, you will learn so much in one day and it would be money well spent.

EDIT - replied before realising it was a thread resurrection, so probably a bit late...
Another vote for doing the course, it's all the above, plus I found it a lot of fun. I did it a few years ago at Holme Pierrepont and on the Trent, just because it looked interesting, it didn't disappoint though I haven't been in a canoe since.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Thanks everyone for your input.I'm giving it a good coat of thinking,especially about a course,I'll let you how we get on.

How did you get on?

I could use a canoe to cross the river, there is no bridge, have to cycle 10 km to cover 200 m %)

In a word,shelved,other things got in the way and will more than likely remain in the way for the forseeable :(
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Ruadh495

Post by Ruadh495 »

Pity, they're a lot of fun. The canoe vs kayak debate reminds me of recumbent vs upright...

I'm in the canoe camp myself, though I started in kayaks. Tried going back to kayak a few years ago and was surprised how tiring it was, particularly across the shoulders. The paddle weighs twice as much as a canoe paddle and the weight has to be supported throughout the stroke. A canoe paddle floats through most of the stroke. I suppose kayak style might be handy if it's windy, but if there's a breeze canoes can be sailed. Now that's a bit like e-bikes for igniting debate...

Oh and I joined the CTC (as was) because my experience in canoeing led me to avoid a sports "governing body" (ie BC).
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

It's probably a dirty word, but what about inflatables?

I fancy the (very) occasional paddle up and down the canals (or possibly even the odd lake!), with a packed lunch etc (you know the sort of thing).
But I really don't want a canoe stealing space in my house, nor having a rack on my car etc etc.

Seems to me an inflatable could be just the ticket but I'm happy to be educated.
yakdiver

Post by yakdiver »

kwackers wrote:It's probably a dirty word, but what about inflatables?

I fancy the (very) occasional paddle up and down the canals (or possibly even the odd lake!), with a packed lunch etc (you know the sort of thing).
But I really don't want a canoe stealing space in my house, nor having a rack on my car etc etc.

Seems to me an inflatable could be just the ticket but I'm happy to be educated.

Inflatables have a place in a swimming pool sorry.........OK to be honest do not put it on the sea as they are hard to paddle if there is any wind about, the RNLI hate them for that very reason, on canals, rivers and small and I do mean small lakes they are a lot of fun, but don't buy a cheap one, as they say they are cheap for a reason, if possible try before you buy.
Sevylor are a good make.
Ruadh495

Post by Ruadh495 »

"Pack rafts" are something else again and some people are combining them with cycling. Either a folding mountain bike carried on the bow or a fat bike towed behind (apparently the tyres have sufficient volume to float the bike... must play havoc with the drive train).

Decathlon do an "adult and child" inflatable which looks a cut above the pool toys and would make a nice economy pack raft. I've got too many toys though... Canoes are just like bikes; with a few exceptions you need to pay 4 figures or close to for a decent one, you "need" N+1 but beware D-1 (where D is the number which causes divorce).
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

kwackers wrote:.....

Depending on your budget you could always look at kayaks that split into sections (e.g. break down into 3 equal'ish length sections). I've not seen or tried one and the only ones I've come across are composite and higher end and unlikely to be found 2nd hand.

And you need to consider the budget carefully. Apart from the boat itself, paddles are surprisingly pricey (I got descent kayak paddles @£250), buoyancy aid, insurance, and you need a license for most waterways (though most are included in the BCU membership @£40+ a year). I don't mean to discourage as I love it but I'm also lucky in having loads of great water moderately nearby.

Ian
Ruadh495

Post by Ruadh495 »

There's a few folding canoes and kayaks about which generally outperform inflatables. They do tend to be expensive.

That BCU membership includes insurance as well. They do remind me of British Cycling, though (or rather British Cycling reminds me of the BCU). There's no non-competitive recreational body in canoeing which provides insurance (CTC equivalent).

I had a go on a Stand Up Paddle board this summer. Those take up a lot less space than canoes (and inflatable versions are probably less disadvantaged), but (like an inflatable) it was really slow into the wind.