Lejog for wimps please- or am I on my own? ( merged )

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Lejog for wimps please- or am I on my own? ( merged )

Post by Mick F »

oldmanonabike wrote:Are we using the best route through Cornwall and Devon?
Best route is a term that is in the eye of the beholder ........... or is it in the heart and lungs and legs of the beholder?

The issue here, is getting from LE to JOG efficiently by bicycle.
You can get there fast, you can get there scenically, or you can get there at a good pace without undue stress ......... or any other combination you desire.

Day 1 LE to St Columb Major
Day 2 at Okehampton
Day 3 Taunton

This is fine and not too strenuous.
My recommendation.

Day 1:
LE to Penzance town centre on the A30, then Hayle on the A30 or you can pick quieter routes if you want. A30 is fine, though a bit busy near Penzance and at the roundabout into Hayle. I haven't ever had an issue with the A30 to Hayle. Done it quite a few times.
Halye town centre, then out to the roundabout to Connor Downs, Camborne, Redruth, Blackwater - all basically along the Old A30.
Then the busy A30 and peel off for a bit of quiet through Zelah, then a short bit more of the A30 turning off to St Newlyn East.
Gummow's Shop, White Cross, and St Columb Major.

Day 2:
A39 to Wadebridge. Go down through the town if you want, but it's a climb .......... or stay on the A39. Cross the River Camel.
A39 to Camelford. Long haul up the hill from the Allen Valley up to Valley Truckle.
Stay on the A39 through Camelford up to 1,000ft at Davidstow and turn onto the A395 and go through Hallworthy.
Turn off onto minor quite lanes through Tresmeer and Egloskerry to St Stephens.
Drop down the hill into Newport and turn left onto the A388 and very shortly right onto minor lanes to the Old A30 near the English border and cross the River Tamar at Polson Bridge.
Follow the Old A30 to Sourton via Lifton and Lewdown.
Turn left at the T junction and go under the A30 past the service area and keep going for a mile.
Turn right signposted Meldon, and go down to join the Old A30 again for Okehampton.

Day 3:
Leave Okehampton up the hill and turn off for Crediton B3215 A3072 A377, then Rob's Passage to Tiverton A396 via Bickleigh.
Through Bickleigh to Tiverton then through Halberton to the J27 M5.
Cross over the M5 and follow A38 to Taunton.
Mick F. Cornwall
sbcoombs

Lejog for wimps please- or am I on my own? ( merged )

Post by sbcoombs »

Thanks Mick. Very detailed directions.
For anyone thinking of riding to HR, you need to consider that HR lags behind effort so on tough hills you might blow up as your HR catches up with overexertion. Hills are best ridden to RPE of power. RPE should be planned through training.
As I’m a data junkie, I train to power so know my limits for varying periods of effort. I have done enough to know the approximate RPE for these.
We should be cruising not racing so with the right gearing I would hope no-one has need to measure effort.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
https://www.livestrong.com/article/3951 ... treadmill/
That's on paper only, but with age your ability to get your HR up will be increasingly harder, so paper stats are a safe bet.
A number of things to consider-

You are fit well and your doctor thinks you are safe to do the exercise.
Your past history of exercise.
Cyclist tend to have a normally higher HR than other sports (put it this way, its easy to raise your HR on a bike and better still a turbo) because its not weight bearing as other sports are and uses largest body muscles well.
Weight bearing sports with age will fatigue lower leg badly so will limit high intensity work.
Your device will have age and weight inputs, not all devices give zones / average max HR, but you do need a direct HR monitor, and best for most of, use is a chest strap, even these can be a bit out on calorie expenditure, but we don't need that stat.

Assuming that you are a cyclist and doing say three hours a week, you are medically fit.
Do a one hour dash and get breathless with your HRM, don't stop at all (if you stop HR drops and might well not get back to what it was before you finished cycling at the stop on route) Mine won't get back up easy so keep the effort up, stopping makes my route slower, even if you just take time on bike, HR dropping means that you are not working at a high efficiency, blood not flowing fast enough to cope.

This all assumes that you are half fit, without means that your HR will never get to a high level (relative to you not you mate or any paper stats, or even milege in a time) , so performance ,better stillyour fitness will be poor.

NOW interval training which is regarded as best for athlete's, is hardcore, and I am not sure it has its place for older endurance types, unless you are already on some hard training program.

Half decent HRM's will have inputs for age height and weight, and will also have a percentage of max HR on route and expressed as an average at finish.

If you HRM does not give Max HR average then you cannot work it out, unless it also gives times in Zones then it will not be accurate to estimate, but time in zones will be a good indicator of effort.

Has your HRM got zones as a saved readout when you finish?
Walking will not get HR as high as cycling, and walking will get you fit and make your back and core strong, but not quite the right muscles are being worked for cycling fitness.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Cyclist tend to have a normally higher HR than other sports (put it this way, its easy to raise your HR on a bike and better still a turbo) because its not weight bearing as other sports are and uses largest body muscles well.

Not my experience at all. On the bike you’d think my max was around 130/135. I’m usually gasping for breath from 125 and takes a huge hill to make me 135. Out of interest I’ve worn
, on a couple of occasions, my hrm while playing squash. My HR reaches 142 during a game and I use that as my max. Aged 65 nowhere near the 120-age
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
KFT

Post by KFT »

Links to the planned route for days 1 - 3

Day 1 https://ridewithgps.com/routes/25859604

Day 2 https://ridewithgps.com/routes/22411430

Day 3 https://ridewithgps.com/routes/22411438

Mick, do these all look ok?
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Paulatic wrote:

Not my experience at all. On the bike you’d think my max was around 130/135. I’m usually gasping for breath from 125 and takes a huge hill to make me 135. Out of interest I’ve worn
, on a couple of occasions, my hrm while playing squash. My HR reaches 142 during a game and I use that as my max. Aged 65 nowhere near the 120-age

As I understand it the rule of thumb for maximum HR is 220- your age.
So for me 220-70 = 150.
Now today taking it steady with a couple of sprints:- (35 miles / avg' speed 14.6mph)
Average HR = 132 with a top of 167 bpm. I don't really know what my max' hr is but I would guess about 170 ?
So nothing like the 150 of the rule of thumb above presuming the above is correct.

My resting HR is about 49 so I presume if you take the 49 from 170 then the range "121" is the figure to work on.
ie 80% of 121= 99 . Then 99 + 49 = 148 approximately for 80% effort.
Right or wrong :?:
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

KFT wrote:Links to the planned route for days 1 - 3

Day 1 https://ridewithgps.com/routes/25859604

Day 2 https://ridewithgps.com/routes/22411430

Day 3 https://ridewithgps.com/routes/22411438

Mick, do these all look ok?
Day 1
It's nice to go through Penzance town along the seafront but not too bad round the bypass. I would recommend the town centre route.
Also, go through Hayle town centre, the bypass isn't good. The town centre is flat for one thing.
You're doing a lot of A30 riding. It's a busy dual carriageway past Camborne and Redruth. Better to take the Old A30 through the towns. Aim for Scorrier and Blackwater before joining the A30.
Go through Zelah village as a rest from the A30.
Turn off the A30 for St Newlyn East for Gummow's Shop and White Cross for St Columb.

Day 2
Spot on! :D

Day 3
Almost spot on.
It's debatable, but when you pop out at the other end of Rob's Passage, if you turn left onto the A396 for Bickleigh and Tiverton, it's flatter than going over to Silverton and Bradhinch. Also, if you go through Tiverton, there's a bus station there with seating under the trees near a supermarket. Toilets too. I always find that Tiverton bus station makes a good place to stop for lunch and visit to the loo.
From Tiverton, take the old Turnpike road through Halberton and Samford Peverell to join a very short stretch of A361 as it approaches the M5 J27. There's a massive layby that you can cycle on up to the roundabout. Cross over the M5 to Waterloo Cross on the A38.
Wellington Town Centre is MUCH better than the road round the town. The town centre is flat and there's shops and seating .......... even a bike shop.
Mick F. Cornwall
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Slight change of direction .....

7 days to the Rotherham Roller ... 50 miles in South Yorks and North Notts.
(or more if we get lost) :lol:

Can we have a roll call please .... who's coming ?? ... so we can get the bacon butties sorted ...
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

landsurfer wrote:Slight change of direction .....

Can we have a roll call please .... who's coming ?? ... so we can get the bacon butties sorted ...

Oldmanonabike and John from BACC unless the weather is bad
I'm not getting older,just gaining more experience
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

oldmanonabike wrote:Oldmanonabike and John from BACC unless the weather is bad

It's Winter, of course it will be bad ..... :lol:
Be more Mike.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Much better ........... :D
Mick F. Cornwall
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

landsurfer wrote:
oldmanonabike wrote:Oldmanonabike and John from BACC unless the weather is bad

It's Winter, of course it will be bad ..... :lol:

In SOUTH yorks :lol:
I'm not getting older,just gaining more experience
softlips

Post by softlips »

landsurfer wrote:Slight change of direction .....

I'll be there.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

I'm from Belfast ..... that makes you a "Southerner" ......... :D
Be more Mike.