Carradice competitor from Spa Cycles

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
mnichols

Re: Carradice competitor from Spa Cycles

Post by mnichols »

robc02 wrote:
Sounds like you are heading down the path of making some sort of adaptor in your shed. Some contraption that would allow you to effectively widen the top of the rack. Possibly involving dowel, wire ties, etc? You'd need to widen it by about 20mm to be in the right area.

This how I did it (to fit my Arkel Tailrider to a Tubus Vega):

Thanks for taking the time to post all those pictures

I think your practical skills far exceed mine, but what type of wood have you used? Is it heavy? Is it weather proof?
robc02

Post by robc02 »

but what type of wood have you used? Is it heavy? Is it weather proof?

The large flat part is made from 6mm plywood. The small block that locates the whole thing is made from a piece of miscellaneous softwood that I had in my offcuts box.

It weighs 30g.

I think I gave it a coat of some basic wood treatment, but can't quite remember what! I made it as proof of concept so didn't pay too much attention to the finer details, thinking I could deal with them when the design was finalised. I didn't even use waterproof glue. Despite this it has been successful. If I make another it will use epoxy adhesive and give it a couple of coats of varnish or other protective wood finish.
pwa

Post by pwa »

robc02 wrote:
but what type of wood have you used? Is it heavy? Is it weather proof?

The large flat part is made from 6mm plywood. The small block that locates the whole thing is made from a piece of miscellaneous softwood that I had in my offcuts box.

It weighs 30g.

I think I gave it a coat of some basic wood treatment, but can't quite remember what! I made it as proof of concept so didn't pay too much attention to the finer details, thinking I could deal with them when the design was finalised. I didn't even use waterproof glue. Despite this it has been successful. If I make another it will use epoxy adhesive and give it a couple of coats of varnish or other protective wood finish.

When I saw that it struck me that one of those white nylon chopping boards might provide alternative material. Neat bit of handywork.
robc02

Post by robc02 »

When I saw that it struck me that one of those white nylon chopping boards might provide alternative material. Neat bit of handywork.

Thanks.

Plastic would be a good option, of course. I used wood mainly because I had plenty, it is light and easy to work.

I hope it gives others ideas about how to fix their rack top bags to whatever rack they have in a stable manner.
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

robc02 wrote:[It weighs 30g.

hmmmm, seems a bit heavy...might slow me down on the hills
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

:lol:
robc02

Post by robc02 »