Pictures of your Trailers

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
lauriematt

Post by lauriematt »

Fonant wrote:(or taking an adult on a deckchair!) i

is that talking from experience???

:lol: :lol: :lol:
WHAT DOESNT KILL YOU .... CAN ONLY MAKE YOU STRONGER
Fonant

Post by Fonant »

lauriematt wrote:
Fonant wrote:(or taking an adult on a deckchair!) i

is that talking from experience???

Yes, have done it a few times. The adult gets a little nervous on corners as they're quite high up, but otherwise it works well. You wouldn't want to tow for more than a few miles though :)
Anthony Cartmell (also known as "admin" when posting in a more official capacity on this Forum)
Kangaroo trike, Windcheetah recumbent, Batavus dutch bike, Dawes Galaxy Twin tandem, Pashley unicycle
http://www.fonant.com – Quality web sites.
zenzinnia

Post by zenzinnia »

This is my CF Y-Frame hiding underneath event display boards. The crate holds leaflets and other things and is just high enough so the boards go above the wheels but a piece of hardboard is needed to stop the material dragging onto them. It's not as wide as it might look - it fits through doors.

GeoffL

Post by GeoffL »

Cheapie dog trailer bought for about fifty quid off the 'Bay. Good for letting my labrador participate in my wife's and my rides - she runs alongside for part of the way and rides in the trailer for the rest. It's also good for shopping (once the dog-hairs are cleaned out of it) and it folds flat enough to use as a flatbed. Picture here is as bought but it now has a Burley hitch.

Geoff
BossCat

Re: Pictures of your Trailers

Post by BossCat »

Im at present building a smallish trailer for shopping trips and carrying bit and bobs - No Concrete Blocks :D .
Still have a little to do to it but heres how its looking so far....

Frame sprayed with cheap undercoat from £1 shop.

Frame finished in black.

Thick angle iron dropouts as the wheels are cantilevered.

Im at present painting and varnishing the wooden panels but heres how it looked before any painting was done.

I'll post morepics once complete.

Regards
Tom
************ My other trailers an Airstream ************
French bicycle racer, Latourneau pulled an Airstream caravan in 1947 to demonstrate how light it was.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Very nice BossCat! Geat stuff!

I wonder if the torque on the wheel axles may bend the trailer flanges? I can't see the thing being able to beat my record of two concrete blocks! :wink:
Or even Fonant's bigger record of 50 bricks! :shock:

What are you doing for a hitch system?
Mick F. Cornwall
BossCat

Post by BossCat »

The trailer started out as a square metal frame that I hauled out of a skip. Last week I had a mate weld on 4 sections of angle iron on the corners (there squint - thats my mates welding :) ) and a frame around the top.

When I started building trailers last year (yes iv'e gone a bit trailer mad also :D ) I hunted high and low for some small type of ball hitch like that on a car. Not being able to find anything suitable at the time I settled on a universal joint....

As you see the U-joint is attched to a towing frame I made for around my back wheel.

How it looks hooked up to my BIG trailer...

Since these pics of the U-joint were taken I have managed to get hold of a nice little ball hitch

Ball Hitch.

I still use the tow frame around the back wheel of my bike as im not a fan of the seatpost or sidearm towing arm.

I'll get a few clearer pics of trailer & towing hitch done once complete

Regards
Tom
French bicycle racer, Latourneau pulled an Airstream caravan in 1947 to demonstrate how light it was.
rjb

Post by rjb »

Some great ideas there. Here's my trailer built from a Mothercare Pushchair rescued from a skip a couple of weeks ago. The hitch is the second try, first go was a universal joint but it rattled too much and kept tristing in the drop out. The 2nd one uses a spring. I made this after seeing an idea on the web, cut a short length of spring off a drain cleaner shown in some of the photos, covered it with a rubber hose and inserted a brake cable outer and inner inside the spring and secured it in the tube. I hope this is sufficient to hold it all together and prevent it parting. The tube has then been crimped onto the spring assembly using a hammer and punch. So far so good. Heaviest weight i carried was a large breeze block during a test ride. Early days yet though. One handy feature is the quick release wheel system which was on the pushchair and i have retained it. Makes storage in the shed a lot easier. Just need to convince the wife we can do the supermarket shop with it :D
Trailer 01.JPG

Trailer 02.JPG

Trailer 03.JPG
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
BossCat

Post by BossCat »

Nearly finished building my smallish shopping trailer, just a lid and a better towing arm for the hitch to build.

My telly packed in during the week so I though Sunday I'll try out the little trailer and take the telly off to the local recycling dump, a round trip of about 3 mile.
The telly was a bloody heavy one and ended up lifting the back wheel of my bike off the ground! but I think that's due to the tow arms hight. I may also have to set the wheels a little further back on the frame.

Going to the dump with BIG telly.

Back home after telly had been dumped.
As you can see from this picture the trailer is sitting at an angle.

Regards
Tom
JMercier

Post by JMercier »

My beauty:
Jason Mercier , London, UK, indoor cycling shoes
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Great that this thread has started off again!

Thanks.

Here's mine with the new alu box.
PICT0075.JPG
Chopper+Trailer.JPG
I think it looks better on the back of Chopper. It seems to "sit" better behind.
Mick F. Cornwall
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

Bit of a work in progress, but hope to be finished by the weekend. I'm finding that any more than 1/3 of the body overhanging at the back makes it a bit light at the front, especially with 38kg of dog moving around. I'm going to make the draw bar longer so I can shove the dog crate forward a bit.

and the dogs-eye view
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

That's not a dog, that's a horse!
Mick F. Cornwall
mill4six

Post by mill4six »

Great, where can I get one of those ball hitches????
Here's my offering.

It's a Lidl "little van" 2 seater but I use it for allsorts.
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

Mick F wrote:That's not a dog, that's a horse!

She's the little one, half the size of the big fella. I may need a caravan for him :lol: