Bern Brentwood helmet

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
NUKe

Bern Brentwood helmet

Post by NUKe »

Does anyone own a Bern helmet? I need a new lid. Apart from the fact that choice is limited by my oversized Cranium. I tend to wear one in the winter when Its icy. Bern have a rather clever set liners for winter and summer use.
http://www.alwaysriding.co.uk/bern-bren ... -1327.html
the foam is quite also takes multiple knocks as it use a type of foam lining rather polystrene
Just wondered if anyone owned one and what you thought? Do you get too hot could I ride on a drop bar bike. Is the fit generous or tight?
Last edited by NUKe on 17 Oct 2013, 2:38pm, edited 1 time in total.
NUKe

Re: Bern Brentwood helmet

Post by Si »

Have moved the thread to the more widely read Does Anybody Know section as it is just a request for info about a particular helmet rather than another heated debate about the use of helmets.
I trust that any replies will also just be giving the info requested by the OP, thanks.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Thanks Si
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

4 years on and finally got round to buying one. So here is my review.
I don’t wear a helmet all the time but like to wear one for my winter commute, when there is a risk of Ice, or for mass participation events, particularly when riding with people I don’t know
I have are a real problem with helmets that fit due to size and shape of my skull. So when I saw the Bern Brentwood, I was sceptical as to whether this as the helmet for me. No one ever has my size in stock and you always feel obliged if someone gets something in for you to try, Evans had it on special offer checked with their help line who said it was fine to return if it didn’t fit.
The helmet arrived and proved to be a good fit, the Zip moulding means that they are thinner than your average cycling helmet and light. The helmet sits lower on the head and is comfortable to wear. Another important feature for me was the back is relatively flat without superfluous lump of polystyrene for stream lining, meaning that with only a minor seat set-up change, I can use the helmet with the, headrest in place on the Hopper.
Because the helmet has been bought largely for winter, use when it’s frosty and there is a chance of slipping on the ice, the lack of ventilation is not an issue although on first wearing the vents that are there give a fair amount of cooling. Once I knew the helmet was a good fit I purchased the winter insert, this is a skull cap with foam earflaps that clips in replacing the headband and size adjuster a neat trick. That does away with having to wear a skull cap or helmet liner, buff or any of the other ways I have tried to keep my head warm in winter. The summer liner has a built in visor, which can be folded up or down, whilst this is useful on an upright bike it is less use on a recumbent and would need to be a little longer for that.
NUKe

Post by mjr »

Bern are still going despite poor impact test ratings like https://bikeportland.org/2012/05/31/nut ... orts-72616 ? Wow. I've not seen one for ages.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Roadster

Post by Roadster »

I've owned a Bern Brentwood for a couple of years now and concur with NUKe's observations. As a 68-year-old pensioner riding a roadster, I didn't want to look like a pretend racer, an alien from outer space nor a complete MAMIL-stroke-Dork, so its sober and restrained styling appealed to me more than the commonly available designs. Also, its rounded shape is a good thing from a safety point of view

The Brentwood is primarily intended as a snowboarding/multisport helmet so its ventilation is a bit limited for cycling use. This has not been a problem for me living in the Pennines and riding moderately as I do, and I'd deliberately chosen white in order to reduce heat absorption. It was only during a few short (and rare) spells of hot weather this summer that I really noticed the lack of ventilation, otherwise it's been more of a blessing than a curse.

It's worth reading all the way to the bottom of that safety report referenced above: the Bern might well be safer in other aspects than those which were tested, but I don't want to enter into any controversy about that in this thread. Personally, I don't regard it as particularly unsafe in comparison to many of the other designs out there - quite the contrary in fact.