New tyres time! Advice needed.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Tangled Metal

New tyres time! Advice needed.

Post by Tangled Metal »

A week off cycling for "being lazy" purposes had led me to cycle commuting with renewed vigour. Well it would if my tyre wasn't flat when I got my bike out. I'd put the slightly knobbly tyres the bike came with back on because I had planned an off road ride that never happened.

So the choice of tyre I have in stock are planetx cyclocross tyres, Vittoria hypers or marathon plusses. I'm bored with them. What's a reasonably priced, tough tyre that's good on the roads but can cope with easy mtb trails (with junior in tow so nothing hard)?

There's some schwalbe marathon tyres with a bit of a nibble I think. Anything else?
old_windbag

Re: New tyres time! Advice needed.

Post by old_windbag »

Not sure if on 26" or 700c but if the latter I've found these fine for many years now and relatively cheap.

https://www.merlincycles.com/schwalbe-sammy-slick-performance-folding-cross-tyre-700c-x-35mm-52958.html

I haven't towed a child with them though!
mjr

Post by mjr »

I've used Michelin Country Trail in the past, although I suspect any of their XC tyres would also be fine for road and gentle MTB trails.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

What is it that you don't like about the tyres you currently have available? That might help guide the recommendations, in particular what is wrong with the planet-x CX tyres, as many would likely recommend something similar.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

gloomyandy wrote:What is it that you don't like about the tyres you currently have available? That might help guide the recommendations, in particular what is wrong with the planet-x CX tyres, as many would likely recommend something similar.

Or indeed the Vittoria Hypers? What size and spec are they (Randonneur, Voyager etc.) - if you are bored with them and want to give them away I might be interested!
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Well it's their Areo tyres. I guess it's the punctures. I has always been very rare for me to get them. I had a set of tyres for 7 years once before I started to get punctures a lot. That was a long time ago. I simply not used to getting punctures.

Next up I went armour proof with marathon pluses at 38mm IIRC. Doesn't fit my replacement mudguards last time I tried them. Same guards and tyres as before, fitted by me in the same way, but don't fit now. I think the guards could have moved since because there looks a bit more clearance on the same nominal size Areo tyres so might fit now. They just seem too much and feel too slow and heavy.

Voyager Hypers are 32mm. I want 35 or 38mm now. They don't feel too good in the wet to me. I had a wet ride one day and managed to wheel spin them in a way I've never done before on other tyres. I think I'll keep them for summer season. I need a winter season tyre now (no spikes though).

Preferably the tyre should have decent rolling with the same puncture resistance as hypers or marathons of possible. Ideally with a bit more tread / grip for winter use (no ice risk or spikes needed).

I want a miracle tyre that can do everything. I don't ask for much! :wink:
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Give away? As long as I have space to store them... Sorry, apart from the Areo tyres I'll probably use them all again at some point.

I suddenly realized that you can easily change tyres so why not match the tyres to your immediate needs. Hence the new tyre urge. I'm in that winter / mixed surface need right now.

The Areo tyres were the closest I had to that but I can't really trust them with punctures. My old hybrid from Specialized had a decent tyre. Nobbly corners and a less stippled centre. Nice rubber accord to the guy from Wheelbase. Seems he's into tyres (or did he say rubber?)!
fossala

Post by fossala »

How about Panaracer Tour guard?
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tyres/700-x ... e-700-622/

I just got some 38mm Vittoria voyager hypers in the post for a build but it looks like you ruled them out.
s1965c

Post by s1965c »

Isn't the default answer to this Schwalbe Landcruisers?
_________
LEJoG slug
Roadster

Post by Roadster »

In my personal experience, the Panaracer Pasela TGs are not as puncture resistant as I'd hoped - in fact, I swapped them out for the sadly discontinued Vittoria Randonneur Pros for exactly that reason, and got more comfort as well as fewer punctures.
RickH

Post by RickH »

I've been running the 40mm Hypers for most of this year (having finally got a bike that could fit bigger tyres).

They seem to hold their own on the road, compared to my previous 28mm tyres, & offroad I've not found I've struggled when out with the local roughstuff folk, even though they are almost all on MTBs these days.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

My 32mm hypersensitivity slid around when I tried a bit of off road on some of the 7 stanes. Nice easy routes as I was with my young son at the time. So I thought they'd be OK. It's rocky and rooty terrain they didn't manage. Plus any mud at all and I wheel spin. Ended up digging myself into the mud before it finally released me one time. Lucky as I didn't have a change of footwear if I'd had to put my foot down into the muddy puddle.

My Aries could have handled it better. I have done some rougher trails in the lakes on them but they're like Swiss cheese these days. They only have to look at thorns to get a puncture.

Di the randonneur hypers have more of a tread on them?
AdamS

Post by AdamS »

s1965c wrote:Isn't the default answer to this Schwalbe Landcruisers?

+1

Tangled Metal wrote:There's some schwalbe marathon tyres with a bit of a nibble I think.

Marathon Mondial, Marathon Plus Tour

Anything else?

Schwalbe Silento & Hurricane. Conti CountryPlus