Up for a ride?

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
davyboy

Re: Up for a ride?

Post by davyboy »

Hi all see you there have a good breakfast to get up the climbs.
cookie32

Post by cookie32 »

Up early and on the road in the dark, and I mean very dark. I was joined by the usual suspects, Jon, David, and Brian. We were also joined by Mike who drove in from Norwich for the ride.
Turns out I better start paying more attention to the details on the maps I make as I routed more climbing than I like to do in a year lol. Perfect way to break in a new bike I guess. I should have known better when Jon seemed excited by he route. Everything went to plan for the most part except The Smokehouse being closed for breakfast. To be fair I think we came out on top as the food at the Scandinavia Tea House was lovely.
The ride back in was nice and flat for the most part. Which is good because between the cold and the ride into Bury my legs were a bit taxed. For a December ride though I have to say we did fair pretty good for temps, while it was chilly out I never felt cold.

[youtube]LffxDA7xKfA[/youtube]
Last edited by cookie32 on 5 Dec 2017, 7:25am, edited 1 time in total.
Only dead men have seen the end of wars

Pashley PDQ, Performer 922
hoarder
Location: South of Newmarket, SW of Bury St. Edmunds. ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ sƃuıɥʇ ʇɐ ƃuıʞool

Post by hoarder »

Turns out I better start paying more attention to the details on the maps I make as I routed more climbing than I like to do in a year lol. Perfect way to break in a new bike I guess. I should have known better when Jon seemed excited by he route.

OK, so I admit I'm finally not bothered by hills :wink: , which is the reward for getting the miles in during the year :D
Thanks for everyone's company, and I look forward to the next one.

p.s. Brian, you didn't mention this https://youtu.be/XJafJK-0ai4 !!!
davyboy

Post by davyboy »

Hi all a fun ride shame about the icy rain 8 miles from home.Looking forward to the next one bring on the hills.
davyboy

Post by davyboy »

Hi all a fun ride shame about the icy rain 8 miles from home.Looking forward to the next one bring on the hills.
Tilley

Post by Tilley »

I have a ride scheduled for Friday 29th December with some friends from the South West and Wales trike riders Facebook page. Starting in Bristol the ride goes to Bath along the Bristol 2 Bath cycle path, from Bath it then takes the Kennet & Avon towpath to Bradford on Avon. After a lunch stop at Bradford the ride then returns to Bath via the 2 tunnels cycle path and retraces the route along the Bristol 2 Bath cycle path. Anyone wanting to join us could PM me for further details or get details via the South West and Wales trike riders Facebook page.
cookie32

Post by cookie32 »

I hope everyone has warm clothes to wear. We're off for another ride and in the cold. I can feel the chill in my bones already. Ok, now that I've got the pre-ride moaning out of the way. We'll be riding from Histon to St. Ives on an orbital route, oh and there's much less climbing this time 679 vs.181. Just as a disclaimer Hoarder did the routing so if we do end up on the random wickedly steep hill you know who to blame, lol. I know everyone knows but layers will be needed for this ride. I don't expect it o be much warmer than 7c or 8c plus there is a chance of rain but it's a bit too soon to be sure. I'll be going as long as the roads are free of snow and ice. We'll stopping in St. Ives for food and possibly a pint or two depending where we stop. I'm rambling so here's the details..

VITALS
TIME: 21 Jan 2018 meeting time 1000
RALLY POINT: Glass World Stadium, Bridge Rd, Impington, Cambridge CB24 9PH
LOCATION: Histon Football Club to St. Ives and back on a different route https://goo.gl/maps/e96wRJR6Ugn
It's roughly a 30 mile route.

Hope to see you there, as always all are welcome and feel free to contact me with any questions.
Don't forget to dress warm!

hoarder
Location: South of Newmarket, SW of Bury St. Edmunds. ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ sƃuıɥʇ ʇɐ ƃuıʞool

Post by hoarder »

Parking update 12/1/18 - I checked out where we planned starting. :(
Histon Football Club have installed gates on the road leading to their car park, and now charge £2 per car to park.
To avoid the risk that our cars are locked-up before we return, please note the change in starting point.

10.00 a.m at

Cambridge Rd "Green"
Impington
Cambridge
CB24 9PS

https://goo.gl/maps/gKqQRLoFBd42

Directions: Take junction 32 exit off A14, and head north on B1049 signed towards Histon and Cottenham.
After just 150 yards, turn left at the traffic lights, and follow the road round to the left, and park adjacent to the green "island" on Cambridge Road.
cookie32

Post by cookie32 »

Thx Hoarder, I'll pass this to the other sites.

hoarder

Post by hoarder »

I'm looking forward to the weekend - hopefully the weather on Sunday will be drier than the last few days. Despite the proximity of the trike stand to the beer kegs, work on getting the Lepus back on the road again is progressing well - cogs and cassette cleaned, new chains, new chain tube, replacement rear and mid-drive derailleurs (New Old Stock Shimano mechs, long cage version from Ebay seller in Athens, short cage from local chap selling up his late father's cycle shop stock), so what remains ? Just the brakes to bleed and, if tool and new bearings arrive in time, five replacement bearings on the rear axles !

New (bottom) Shimano 4400 SS and GS below their well-served originals. Maybe serviceable once cleaned (and jockey-wheel bearings replaced).
Attachments
IMG_20180114_183723 small.jpg
cookie32

Post by cookie32 »

I was hoping for break from the rain but looks like we're going to be a bit soggy this time. Dave's a bit under the weather so he won't be joining us this time. He may be the smartest of the bunch once again, all that wisdom he's stockpiled is paying off lol.
Looks like you've been quite busy, hope you can get it all done for this Sunday. Your turning into quite the chain and gear expert.

See you guys Sunday, Will.

hoarder

Post by hoarder »

New bearings have arrived :) New tools haven't :(
hoarder

Post by hoarder »

Still awaiting tools, so replacing the bearings will have to wait until next week. :(

Plotted route this morning, and our Sunday Lunch pub is
The Old Ferry Boat, Holywell Front, Cambridgeshire PE27 4TG

Overlooking the Great Ouse river, The Old Ferry Boat is reputedly England’s oldest inn.

https://www.oldenglishinns.co.uk/files/5715/0581/8295/AW17_SUNDAY_MENU_PB3.pdf

Apparently it does get busy, even in the rain.........
cookie32

Post by cookie32 »

Looks like this one is a no go guys. As it stands Dave and Brian have pulled out. I was hoping the weather would take a turn in our favor but it's only gotten worse and now its showing a chance of icy rain. I'm going to pass on this one as I'm having flashbacks of last January's ride.
Sorry for the let down but I think this is the best call this one.

Will
Last edited by cookie32 on 20 Jan 2018, 6:11pm, edited 2 times in total.

hoarder

Post by hoarder »

OK, noted. We can save this trip for the better weather, hopefully when Dave's back to normal.

But not all bad news. I did finally get a full route (including misguided busway) onto my Garmin 800. At last.
And there's now extra flapjack for everyone at home...... :wink: