I'm posting this here as it's important stuff..Diet etc

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Trigger

Re: I'm posting this here as it's important stuff..Diet etc

Post by Trigger »

No problem running out of things I like to eat. I had sausages and scrambled eggs for breaky, just about to go fry a steak for tea, fancy mushrooms in a cream (double, naturally) and mustard sauce, with cauli and broccoli in cheese. Probably followed by some greek yoghurt, more cream and a few raspberries.

A stone and a half gone eating like that in 6 weeks with the grand sum of two bike rides in that whole time. I don't count calories, fat, use a diary, watch portion sizes or anything else, all I do is avoid carbs, dead easy.
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

There hasn't been a post in this, which I started for three and a half years.
How've I fared with my "fad" diet.

Well I eventually bottomed out at 13:00, a net loss of about 40lb. Since I've hovered around that and at the moment I'm 2lb under. In other words my weight is static for 3.5y at a BMI of under 23 without calorie counting at all and just watching the carbs. I feel great and recently rode my fourth and last Lejog with Chris Ellison. I make it my business to eat all nice food on this regime. I don't go around thinking of food much.

On the first night we met up for Lejog, at beginning of September, one of the members of the tour who's a person trainer was talking about the importance of carbs for exercise. I told him that I would do the second day, from Lostwithiel over Dartmoor to Exeter, about 65m with 6800ft of climbing on no carbs at all. I did,and finished before him and my bike was 15lb heavier than his and he was a really lean guy. That amazed him.
But you adapt. The two main things are that you don't bonk at all, and the muscles are less sore in the morning. Some people need a little or more carb. I don't.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

What did you eat that day, what did the other rider eat?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

I had eggs, more eggs, rashers of bacon, more rashers, cheese, cold meat, more cheese, more cold meat, tin of fish, dinner without starch, cheese for dessert! He ate a mixture of food, a pretty healthy diet, actually.

I normally eat about 50g of carbs a day. The carbs are in green veg, nuts, yogurt, dark chocolate and berries. I eat no fruit, proper, no starch. I'm totally used to this. I do have an odd potato and an odd slice of bread with soup in a restaurant.
hondated

Post by hondated »

Gearoidmuar wrote:I had eggs, more eggs, rashers of bacon, more rashers, cheese, cold meat, more cheese, more cold meat, tin of fish, dinner without starch, cheese for dessert! He ate a mixture of food, a pretty healthy diet, actually.

I normally eat about 50g of carbs a day. The carbs are in green veg, nuts, yogurt, dark chocolate and berries. I eat no fruit, proper, no starch. I'm totally used to this. I do have an odd potato and an odd slice of bread with soup in a restaurant.

Pleased to read that you have been so successful and I only wish I had your tenacity. I really do need to lose some timber but if only it was just like taking a coat off.
niggle

Post by niggle »

Gearoidmuar wrote:I had eggs, more eggs, rashers of bacon, more rashers, cheese, cold meat, more cheese, more cold meat, tin of fish, dinner without starch, cheese for dessert! He ate a mixture of food, a pretty healthy diet, actually.

To me that reads like a recipe for terminal constipation! Also I have recently become vegan which is pretty much incompatible with your diet, however I don't regret my new diet as what I thought was IBS, that I have suffered with for about 15 years, has suddenly completely disappeared. My conclusion is that actually I am lactose intolerant, a very common condition that often develops with age.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I've been attempting a LCHF diet, but one of the issues I have with it, is lack of variety. I get sick of eating omelettes and bacon and eggs for breakfast and lunch.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
mjr

Post by mjr »

Where most eggs, most cheeses, some cold meats (especially sausages and things like haslet) and some fish contain carbs... it's probably low-carb, not the claimed "no carbs at all". Cheat! ;)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

Perfection is the anithesis of Function!
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Gearoidmuar wrote:Perfection is the anithesis of Function!

Please explain briefly, diolch

*Forms follows function* I think
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

Diolch??

Antithesis of function. If you try to perfect something you can screw it up or hesitate so much you don't actually do it.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Diolch = thanks in Welsh :wink:

Porridge is in right now, I started a thread with a poll, the vast majority of those who answered like porridge

Sample size: dozens!
Or maybe I have just proved that porridge eaters like answering polls
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

I like porridge too but it doesn't seem to like me!
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Gearoidmuar wrote:I like porridge too but it doesn't seem to like me!

There are many different types of porridge or porridge-like foods, try a wikicheck
I understand intestinal bacteria and the climate inside can vary a lot