** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
bovlomov

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by bovlomov »

1gunsalute wrote:As to a step towards re-unification, I dont think RoI wants NI!

This one has spread fast, both in Parliament and on Twitter.

In the 1970s there was talk of the RoI wanting a united Ireland. But in the past few decades it has rarely been mentioned. I don't recall it being an issue during talks about the Good Friday Agreement. Was it?

Yet here we are. The Brexit promoters are having to face a few realities that they'd tried to imagine away. But again, instead of facing up to the complexity of the situation and their part in it, they construct another fantasy: The people of the RoI are scheming night and day to unify Ireland.

I can see us (England and Wales together?) becoming the Millwall of the world. In the Second Division, chanting "No one likes us and we dont care!"
pwa

Post by pwa »

bovlomov wrote:
1gunsalute wrote:As to a step towards re-unification, I dont think RoI wants NI!

This one has spread fast, both in Parliament and on Twitter.

In the 1970s there was talk of the RoI wanting a united Ireland. But in the past few decades it has rarely been mentioned. I don't recall it being an issue during talks about the Good Friday Agreement. Was it?

Yet here we are. The Brexit promoters are having to face a few realities that they'd tried to imagine away. But again, instead of facing up to the complexity of the situation and their part in it, they construct another fantasy: The people of the RoI are scheming night and day to unify Ireland.

I can see us (England and Wales together?) becoming the Millwall of the world. In the Second Division, chanting "No one likes us and we dont care!"

A unification of Ireland cannot happen at this point in time. That is a plain fact. It doesn't matter what Dublin and London might agree, Ulster Unionists won't wear it so it won't happen.
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

pwa wrote:A unification of Ireland cannot happen at this point in time. That is a plain fact. It doesn't matter what Dublin and London might agree, Ulster Unionists won't wear it so it won't happen.

You are probably right. But Brexit has revived the issue.

I don't think Brexit has to lead to a united Ireland, but it is more likely to happen if all of these loonies keep drawing red lines all over the place, making demands that cannot all be satisfied - some of the same loonies who were telling us that Brexit would be easy.

Is it possible, that if the UK economy goes down the pan, and the NI protestants feel they are being abandoned by Westminster, they might decide they are better off in a united Ireland?
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

"A unification of Ireland cannot happen at this point in time. That is a plain fact. It doesn't matter what Dublin and London might agree, Ulster Unionists won't wear it so it won't happen."

Certainly unlikely, but far from "can not". The sectarian breakdown and sheer numbers would suggest that a possibility. Just over half of the NI pop is Protestant - 800,000 with varying degrees of religious fervour. Some 80% of the Republic's 4.75m are RC. The Protestants are on a hiding to nothing if the Tories decide better to cut the North loose rather than risk a Brexit meltdown which might put them out of office "for a generation". If were not pro tem reliant on DUP could be a distinct possibility. Question more I suppose whether or not Dublin would want to take on the basket case that is the NI economy!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

One thing's for sure to paraphrase one of the Tories old grandees "never in the field of human politricks has so much been at stake and cocked up by so few"
What a bunch of idiotic morons!

PS, TBH I've done debating this issue as brexit is so utterly stupid and counter productive to the UK future,if that's not obvious to people who favour brexit they're either stupid,can't admit they're wrong or like sheep blindly following the Tory party line on it.
I know that's a controversial thing to post but I continually ask myself, "when will the UK wake up to to this utter shambles and come to it's senses?"
Last edited by reohn2 on 7 Dec 2017, 9:56am, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
pwa

Post by pwa »

djnotts wrote:"A unification of Ireland cannot happen at this point in time. That is a plain fact. It doesn't matter what Dublin and London might agree, Ulster Unionists won't wear it so it won't happen."

Certainly unlikely, but far from "can not". The sectarian breakdown and sheer numbers would suggest that a possibility. Just over half of the NI pop is Protestant - 800,000 with varying degrees of religious fervour. Some 80% of the Republic's 4.75m are RC. The Protestants are on a hiding to nothing if the Tories decide better to cut the North loose rather than risk a Brexit meltdown which might put them out of office "for a generation". If were not pro tem reliant on DUP could be a distinct possibility. Question more I suppose whether or not Dublin would want to take on the basket case that is the NI economy!

Dublin would not want to take on a NI with a Unionist population vehemently opposed to their authority. That would leave the whole island with a toxic legacy for generations.
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

Easily crushed/bought off. Plenty of examples.
pwa

Post by pwa »

djnotts wrote:Easily crushed/bought off. Plenty of examples.

Look up what happened with Carson, last time the UK tried to offload NI. The UK Government gave up on the plan when it became known that the Unionists were arming themselves in readiness for a civil war.
Last edited by pwa on 7 Dec 2017, 10:17am, edited 2 times in total.
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

reohn2 wrote: I've done debating this issue as brexit is so utterly stupid and counter productive to the UK future,if that's not obvious to people who favour brexit they're either stupid,can't admit they're wrong or like sheep blindly following the Tory party line on it.
I know that's a controversial thing to post but I continually ask myself, "when will the UK wake up to to this utter shambles and come to it's senses?"

As someone recently said: Brexit could have been a dull bureaucratic process, but the Tories turned it into a culture war.

In doing so they have made enemies of at least half the adult population and many of our (hitherto) allies. They have dismissed valid concerns as moaning, talking down, or even treason. They have abandoned all informed opinion and have cosied up to racists.

My reason for voting Remain was personal. The people promoting Brexit were the most untrustworthy bunch of loonies and liars I could ever imagine, and nothing they touch could ever come to anything good. Brexit may be a good idea, but not THAT Brexit.

Role call of said liars and chancers: Gove, Johnson, IDS, Fox, Rees Mogg, Redwood, Farage, Banks. For those who think Remain promoters are just as bad, I can only say that most on that list I had marked out as exceptionally dishonest, long before the referendum was suggested.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

pwa wrote:
Dublin would not want to take on a NI with a Unionist population vehemently opposed to their authority. That would leave the whole island with a toxic legacy for generations.

Toxic legacy!
We had that all my long life.
The bombing of innocent people.
The kneecappings.
Inflexible religious bigotry.

With a dose of mad Paddys thrown in.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

bovlomov wrote:
reohn2 wrote: I've done debating this issue as brexit is so utterly stupid and counter productive to the UK future,if that's not obvious to people who favour brexit they're either stupid,can't admit they're wrong or like sheep blindly following the Tory party line on it.

As someone recently said: Brexit could have been a dull bureaucratic process, but the Tories turned it into a culture war.

In doing so they have made enemies of at least half the adult population and many of our (hitherto) allies. They have dismissed valid concerns as moaning, talking down, or even treason. They have abandoned all informed opinion and have cosied up to racists.

My reason for voting Remain was personal. The people promoting Brexit were the most untrustworthy bunch of loonies and liars I could ever imagine, and nothing they touch could ever come to anything good. Brexit may be a good idea, but not THAT Brexit.

Role call of said liars and chancers: Gove, Johnson, IDS, Fox, Rees Mogg, Redwood, Farage, Banks. For those who think Remain promoters are just as bad, I can only say that most on that list I had marked out as exceptionally dishonest, long before the referendum was suggested.

Yer not wrong!
It isn't so much myself or my generation that I'm concerned about regarding the impact of brexit,but younger generations and the one's that had no say in the votes cast by little englanders,racists,and self seeking people who were willing to listen and believe the people you mention.
I tire of hearing people of my age group and older speaking as if the the EU were the Third Reich or them foreigners sucking all our money out of the country,when the real culprits are the ones you mention and their puppet masters who are pulling the strings from far off tax havens.
It doesn't get much more sordid and sickly and the one's who'll suffer most are the ordinary folk duped by these evildoers.
Last edited by reohn2 on 7 Dec 2017, 10:33am, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

"Yer not wrong!
It isn't so much myself or my generation that I'm concerned about regarding the impact of brexit,but younger generations and the one's that had no say in the votes cast by little englanders,racists,and self seeking people who were willing to listen and believe the people you mention.
I tire of hearing people of my age group and older speaking as if the the EU were the Third Reich or them forigners sucking all our money out of the country,when the reasl culprits are the ones sitting in the cabinet and their puppet masters who are pulling the strings from far off tax havens.
It doesn't get much more sordid and sickly."

Precisely put. Just so. Me too.
pwa

Post by pwa »

PDQ Mobile wrote:
pwa wrote:

Toxic legacy!
We had that all my long life.
The bombing of innocent people.
The kneecappings.
Inflexible religious bigotry.

With a dose of mad Paddys thrown in.

All true. And Dublin won't want to re-ignite the flames at the same time as clutching the whole mess to its bosom.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

To me the issue is something created by (predominantly) English politicians. Carrying out the referendum result does not cause any problems over the Irish border. It is all the red lines May and her rabid supporters of brexit have created that is causing the problems.

Ian
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

reohn2 wrote:
bovlomov wrote:

In doing so they have made enemies of at least half the adult population and many of our (hitherto) allies. They have dismissed valid concerns as moaning, talking down, or even treason.

Role call of said liars and chancers: Gove, Johnson, IDS, Fox, Rees Mogg, Redwood, Farage, Banks. For those who think Remain promoters are just as bad, I can only say that most on that list I had marked out as exceptionally dishonmest, long before the referendum was suggested.

Yer not wrong!
I tire of hearing people of my age group and older speaking as if the the EU were the Third Reich or them foreigners sucking all our money out of the country,when the real culprits are the ones you mention and their puppet masters who are pulling the strings from far off tax havens.
It doesn't get much more sordid and sickly and the one's who'll suffer most are the ordinary folk duped by these evildoers.

Oh yes.+1
Both of you.
It is exactly my perception.