Recommendations for a heavy rider?

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
mick skinner

Recommendations for a heavy rider?

Post by mick skinner »

Hi, I'm about 120kg, in a previous thread I was told I'll need a ebike with a high torque ratio and then somebody recommended a Wisper ebike. I've also been told that Specialized ebikes have a high maximum rider weight limit. So are there any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance.
hemo

Re: Recommendations for a heavy rider?

Post by hemo »

Most bikes will take the weight of a heavy rider +100kgs, the issue though is the drive unit used to propel that weight. I can't tell you the limit with crank drives however they are fairly flexible with plenty of gearing options to use.
Hub bikes are different and some have weedy torque values whilst others are much stronger, no two are the same and all very in size, weight and power from the same manufacturer for different applications.

The Wipser range was designated by it's owner David Miall for over weight heavier riders as at the time their were no ebikes strong enough, David himself is a lump (his words) at 18st+ so he designed the Wipser range which is now in it's 12th years or so and has seen improved motors and electrics.
Hubs used are high torque 128SX's from Aikema Shuzou China

Woosh bikes have some very high torque drive bikes for heavy riders above 100kg though they are robust and strong, though the looks are not to every ones style, prices are in the £800 - 1100 range and are all China built bikes with hub or China TCM crank drive. Component specs aren't high though most are more then adequate for the money don't expect more then rst/suntour forks and no Shimano HDB's or high end gearing components, Acera is about the limit for there price bracket.
Hubs used are front Bafang China BPM/SWXO2 high torque models or a rear freewheel a high torque model
of the same description.

With both you can expect and will get very good CS and tech help for spares and repairs as they are both in a niche market place with only a hand full of knowledgeable staff.

As with all bikes it depends on your budget and riding discipline.
As an aside Halfords have now introduced a Carrera Crossfuse with Bosch Active line plus drive for £1600.
Last edited by hemo on 5 Dec 2017, 4:41pm, edited 1 time in total.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

I'm 6' 2", 110kg.
You don't need an eEbike.
Ride a bike ....
I was 130kg and then 120kg.
Soon I will be 100kg ....
You know it makes sense.....
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
mick skinner

Post by mick skinner »

Thanks hemo, I think I'm going to go with a Wisper, there are shops in Nottingham and Derby that I can test ride on from. Cool.
Bonzo Banana

Post by Bonzo Banana »

Fairly sure the Halfords e-bikes are rated to 136kg/300lbs as per the recommendations of the bike standard so in theory Halfords own models should be compatible. The brushless motors are pretty robust the issue is a heavy rider will get less assistance or the battery won't last as long in distance.

The Carrera Crosscity at Halfords is superb for the money. It has a high quality cassette/freehub based drivetrain.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/e ... ctric-bike

Don't buy a bike with a low end freewheel based drivetrain, they are designed for light use both in riders weight and frequency of activity. The important thing about getting an e-bike is not focusing totally on the electric parts but making sure the bike itself is strong, safe and reliable. It will be the frame and wheels that will be taking the weight of the rider especially the rear wheel. E-bikes are heavy due to the electric parts and combining with a low end freewheel which means the rear wheel axle is much easier to damage is a compromise too far in my opinion. Even a freehub/cassette based drivetrain isn't as good as hub gears for an e-bike but its a huge improvement on a freewheel based bike.
mick skinner

Post by mick skinner »

Good advice Bonzo Banana, thanks. But I think I'd rather choose a bike with the best motor etc and compromise on other components because, for me, it's going to be a lot more straight forward to up grade the components in the future/when they fail. I've done loads of mechanical work on non ebikes in the past but never done anything with an ebike so I'd rather be forced to replace a rear derailleur than, say, a motor unit.
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Hi, just had a friend who we 'persuaded' to buy an ebike. She is seriously overweight, wouldn't have the courage to ask! She bought a Gepida, which she loves. As well as the weight she also has very poor muscle strength, but, the bike is managing some reasonable terrain around the area, central Somerset.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Whoops, just read your last reply. If you like working on bikes, why not look at retrofit kits? I put two front wheel Cyclotricity kits on our Thorn tours, for starters. Then moved on to full suss mtbs, bought Giant Stance and fitted rear kits from same people, absolutely love these. Plus is that, as you say, you can choose the bike, so, the 'best of both worlds' !!
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
mick skinner

Post by mick skinner »

Actually the Gepida is the first ebike I've seen that's got hub gearing, which I think I'd prefer on an ebike.
Bonzo Banana

Post by Bonzo Banana »

mick skinner wrote:Good advice Bonzo Banana, thanks. But I think I'd rather choose a bike with the best motor etc and compromise on other components because, for me, it's going to be a lot more straight forward to up grade the components in the future/when they fail. I've done loads of mechanical work on non ebikes in the past but never done anything with an ebike so I'd rather be forced to replace a rear derailleur than, say, a motor unit.

Some e-bikes are rated to low weight sometimes as low as 80kg and that's not something you can work around if its the frame strength itself which is the most likely weight limitation although sometimes its the wheels. You said 120kg and that is the upper limit of rider weight capacities.
mick skinner

Post by mick skinner »

Hi Bonzo Banana, this is the one I've narrowed it down to; https://www.evanscycles.com/electra-tow ... e-EV309979. Thanks for the advice along the way.