How much YOU have spent This year on Bike related stuff?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Raleigh Steve

Re: How much YOU have spent This year on Bike related stuff?

Post by Raleigh Steve »

:D Gosh, bike related! That is quite wide.

Quite a lot.

Probably £300 on clothes (sunglasses, shorts, a jersey, arm and leg warmers)

£200 on tyres and tubes

£100 on chains and cassettes

Probably about £300 on a cycling holiday to France.

Another £100 or so on transporting bikes on other non cycling holidays.

Not to mention coffee, cake etc eaten in the line of duty. :D

Well over £1,000. I think I have probably missed stuff out too.

But it seems like good value
Tizme

Post by Tizme »

A LOT more than I told my wife :lol:
hondated

Post by hondated »

Revolution Audux F&F £60
Spa Chain Set & BB £87
CRC Rear Cassette £19
Galibier Jacket £67
Chinese Rear Lights £9
So not a too expensive year for me bike wise But I did take up Angling this year so that's another story.
But and its a big but ! just came on here after being on the Mercian web site looking at a brilliant Audux Frame so already 2018 is looking like its going to be an expensive year for me.

Oh dear ole dear it was all going so well until several days ago and I was browsing on Ebay.
Spotted nice Dolan Etape CF and pressed the BIN button.
So need to now add £550 to my total. That's it for this year then. Well I have promised my wife that but I didn't mention 2018 :lol:
Last edited by hondated on 22 Dec 2017, 10:47pm, edited 1 time in total.
hondated

Post by hondated »

Graham wrote:
Resolving the bottom-bracket threads on the Chas Roberts frame was a major factor ( £650 ) :-

Given I ride a Roberts Graham anything I should look out for !
hondated

Post by hondated »

chris_suffolk wrote:
Gattonero wrote:You must be retired as you seem to have plenty of time in your hands. Everyone else has a job to do, and my point is "rather than spending 2 hours trying to fix a derelict freehub, chuck it in the spare parts box and make 2hrs overtime and buy a new one".

Clearly, you cannot understand what "derelict" means and make it for "adjusting freehubs" to turn an answer in your way.
No one here is saying to bin everything that stopped working, rather to make a judgment of "time vs money", when a £15 part that is on the last leg means that 2hrs overtime on minimum wage would buy a brand new part.
You can always dismantle that freehub on a later stage just for fun.

Seems someone touched a nerve here.

Glad you have a job that pays overtime - many of us, me included, get paid to do a job irrespective of the hours it takes, so can't just do an extra 2 hours overtime whenever it suits.

Tinkering for fun, whether it's cost effective or not, is something many get pleasure from. Not everything has to be justified in pounds and pence.

I would also add that many of us on here are retired and on fixed incomes but Gattonero I take your point. Unfortunately I think just one wrong word as heated this thread up a bit.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

I dread to think, what with replacing 2 bikes, all the bits n pieces, lighting etc., plus odd bits of updated clothing....
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Graham

Post by Graham »

hondated wrote:
Graham wrote:Resolving the bottom-bracket threads on the Chas Roberts frame was a major factor ( £650 ) :

Given I ride a Roberts Graham anything I should look out for !

Not really. I ended up with a crossed thread, such that the bottom bracket was always slightly mis-aligned. It clicked.

The cheapo Kalloy seatpost also clicked, confounding diagnosis even more.

Definitely do NOT use unguided BB shell taps . . . . for that is what finally set the misalignment ( in steel ).
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

Across all bikes I spent under £250 two years ago and £120 last year - gross. Net cost is lower as I have sold some parts to fund my cycling habit.
I don't drive so save about £400 a year on insurance/MOT/VED, my wife has spent nearly £1000 on non-fuel costs for the car she drives about once a week. I have also never owned a car or learnt to drive, so those cost savings more the offset the occasional second hand bike purchase. If I had a travel pass it would cost me more than my bike.

I don't begrudge spending money on cycling, but as the sole income for a family of five I'm on a very tight budget - apparently we would count as Just About Managing on twice our income.
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

The average retail cost of freehub body appears to be over £35 these days (an average taken of nearly forty bodies of all makes on sale by a well known retailer) . Only one cost £15 or less. You could easily waste half an hour or more deciding which one you are dealing with, and even then you might not get it right.

If it takes 2 hours to strip a freehub body, you want to get a wriggle on.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Eton Rifle

Post by Eton Rifle »

As someone who doesn't buy high end bikes, I have to say that the cost of clothing seems to stack up quite quickly. Now, before anyone starts in with how it's perfectly fine to cycle to evensong in a tweed suit, I'm talking about being comfortable for commuting in all weathers.

Of course there's a learning curve involved but, starting from scratch, I've really tried quite a few base layers, jerseys, gloves, glasses etc in order to find the ones that work for me. I've got a pair of Gore Bike Wear overtrousers that I've worn precisely once because the constriction and sweatiness outweighed the waterproofing.

I reckon I've spent over a grand on clothing over the last year. I firmly believe that this will fall over the following years...
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

hondated wrote: I would also add that many of us on here are retired and on fixed incomes but Gattonero I take your point. Unfortunately I think just one wrong word as heated this thread up a bit.

But that personal abuse oversteps the mark. I had my previous account shut down and was effectively Sine Die for a lot lot less than personal abuse.
Some are untouchable on here and can basically say what they like without question
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Seems by jumping to the last page to add my post I missed the fisticuffs.
Quite amused that spending 2 hours of time working on a derelict freewheel or similar is a waste of precious time, yet 2 hours overtime at work is not.... :lol: I guess ir depends on what else you would be doing with those 2 hours:- family time, cycle time, chill out time.. I'd rather spend 2 hours of my time cycling than doing either 2 hours of work or fiddling with a part to get it working :lol:
Some people enjoy stripping parts down and getting them working, maybe even use it as family time / bonding time as they teach a younger generation how stuff works.

It's all about balance.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

hondated wrote: I would also add that many of us on here are retired and on fixed incomes but Gattonero I take your point. Unfortunately I think just one wrong word as heated this thread up a bit.

The utility cyclist wrote:But that personal abuse oversteps the mark. I had my previous account shut down and was effectively Sine Die for a lot lot less than personal abuse.
Some are untouchable on here and can basically say what they like without question

Being a retired engineer (as I think Brucey is) does not qualify him -just like any other person- above the others and free to insult.
I'm sure he's got better ways to contribute to thise forum, if only he wasn't so keen on freehubs, blimey next time I'll be very careful to not talk about those -oh so precious- freehubs! :lol:

eileithyia wrote:Seems by jumping to the last page to add my post I missed the fisticuffs.
Quite amused that spending 2 hours of time working on a derelict freewheel or similar is a waste of precious time, yet 2 hours overtime at work is not.... :lol: I guess ir depends on what else you would be doing with those 2 hours:- family time, cycle time, chill out time.. I'd rather spend 2 hours of my time cycling than doing either 2 hours of work or fiddling with a part to get it working :lol:
Some people enjoy stripping parts down and getting them working, maybe even use it as family time / bonding time as they teach a younger generation how stuff works.

chris_suffolk wrote:Seems someone touched a nerve here.

Glad you have a job that pays overtime - many of us, me included, get paid to do a job irrespective of the hours it takes, so can't just do an extra 2 hours overtime whenever it suits.

Tinkering for fun, whether it's cost effective or not, is something many get pleasure from. Not everything has to be justified in pounds and pence.

I may have not expressed myself in a clear way.
The point is not to dismantle something or trying to repair it. The point is "don;t flog a dead horse thinking that will bring you somewhere far and saving money by doing it".
That is the thing, time vs money, to think that by stubbornly spending hours trying to resurrect something that is pretty much dead will make you save money. It doesn't! It may give you fun, but since we are talking about "how much did you spent?" my opinion is pretty easy to understand: "go and spend that little more money to have something working well. Do it right, do it once".
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
Thornyone

Post by Thornyone »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Thornyone wrote:Cycling is often considered by non-cyclists as some sort of cheapskate occupation, which I resent......

I do not resent that, *cheap* is good

Let them think what they like :wink:

I’m happy to save money myself but I somehow feel that the view that cycling is a cheap pastime can tie in in the minds of some non-cyclists with the usual stuff about cyclists not paying road tax and all of the attitudes which can lead to cycling being seen as an activity of lesser account :D
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Brucey wrote:The average retail cost of freehub body appears to be over £35 these days (an average taken of nearly forty bodies of all makes on sale by a well known retailer) . Only one cost £15 or less. You could easily waste half an hour or more deciding which one you are dealing with, and even then you might not get it right.

If it takes 2 hours to strip a freehub body, you want to get a wriggle on.

cheers

There are cheaper freehubs, and the average Joe does not take 15 minutes to do the job.
You've completely missed the point. You have some knowledge, don't spoil it with such statements.
Last edited by Graham on 11 Dec 2017, 10:27am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please let us drop the personal stuff. It is only an internet forum.
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...