20mph speed limits widespread

gar

20mph speed limits widespread

Post by gar »

adam.coffman@ctc.org.uk

Well they are putting a speed limit of 30 outside my home so I put in a request for 20 and was told that it was an objection. I said ok it's an objection and they made a fuss and said that they would not even do the 30, if I "objected".

So i said it is not an objection it is an imporvement on the 30. I want the 30 BUT I also want the 20.

THAT'S AN OBJECTION!

IT'S NOT. IT IS A REQUEST FOR MORE THAN 30..... 20.

I gave up. They are sticking in the 30. They will NOT accept 20 although there are cyclists, pedestrians, horses and slow motorists using what is part of a small village street.

The council has upgraded the use of the road by about 500% over 20 years. In the Summer it is an extremely dangerous not just to cyclists but to motorists as well.

When will they learn about 20mph????

If CTC wants to put in a fresh "objection" to 30mph there is still time to do it in this village!

Traffic Management and Highways are not in the least bit interested in Cycling matters.
All their employees are the kinds of philistine
that would never be seen on a push bike.
gar

Re:20mph speed limits widespread

Post by gar »

They also said that if I "objected" like that it would have to go to "Rights of Way" committee and that
the 30mph would probably be dropped.

The parish Council eventually put in the application after cajoling for years from me, although my neighbour the farmer wants traffic to " go through his farm as quickly as possible"

I tried to point out to him that if it goes thru quickly... more traffic would use it as a "good road".

He did not understand that.

I was a member of Highways committee for a short while 35 years ago. I thought I knew the ropes.
jb

Post by jb »

You may like to have a 20mph limit but have you ever tried driving at that speed for any distance. You spend more time looking at the speedo than the road - if you have any intension of abiding by it , that is.

Better to have a limit people will obey than saying ah well if I'm going to be done for speeding I may as well make it worthwhile.

That’s not to say vehicles should not be made easier to drive at low speeds without having to keep a constant check on it.
pwward

Post by pwward »

JB, a good trick to keep to the speed limit is to use the gearbox a bit more cleverly. Stay in 2nd gear in a 20mph zone and the engine tone will warn you to some extent when you get near 20, likewise 3rd gear in a 30 zone.
jb

Post by jb »

Thats fine but people don't do that in reality. as its to much effort to go up and down the box. If you have just come off a fast road and the low speed area is quite wide the even thirty miles an hour seems like a crawl. On the other hand in a tight lane with bends it can seem way to fast.

It would be far better in my opinion to have some kind of mechanical easily set restriction preventing over speeding as a good many folk don't want to break the limit but drift over it unintentionally.
zeb

Post by zeb »

pwward

I'm afraid I can't use your technique to travel at 20mph as I have a freewheel. I don't like wearing out my brake blocks either!

I keep on reading of cyclists doing the LEJOG and being pulled over and given tickets because of these stupid 20mph zones. Next I hear my CTC subs are going towards the promotion of these silly things...
gar

Post by gar »

jb,
when I am in a car going through a town or village I have absolutely no difficulty whatsoever in going at 20mph.

Cardrivers with geras sometimes have to think to
maintain that lower speed. They have become accustomed to 30 through traffic reg.
gar

Post by gar »

I changed from a 1989 995cc car to a 1991 1495cc
both automatic as I only have the use of one leg at the moment.

The difference in the speed convenient for the car is considerable. In order to avoid wasting petrol on the larger car, it is necessary to go 45mph. On the smaller (Fiat Uno belt CVT)
30 was an excellent and most economical speed to go at, and slower!

I suspect that the less powerful cars and the most ecnomical are also the most economical
with the lives and safety of cyclists.

It would be the way of the world.... of dog eating dog.
gar

Post by gar »

The problem for the "Bikes only" campaigner, as I was for five or six years.. you lose the sense of these differences, and merely become very resentful of powerful cars, and of car status in general.