Seatpost, seat pack and seatpost mounted light visibility

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
mattsccm

Re: Seatpost, seat pack and seatpost mounted light visibility

Post by mattsccm »

Bolting to rack easy. Short length if tube . one hole through it and bolted to rack. Dog it tight.
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi
Like this (link)
There was a thread somewhere (that I can't find) where a handlebar mount was added to the seat post (link)
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

tim-b wrote:Hi
Like this (link)
There was a thread somewhere (that I can't find) where a handlebar mount was added to the seat post (link)
Regards
tim-b

You beat me to it, that's what I have on one bike specifically so I can run more than one rear light. Whilst I have it set horizontal it could just as easily be fitted to be vertical. I have a medium size Ortlieb hardshell seatpack above the bar but even so the lights are well above the rack, a good few inches.

The same bike has a bar on the front too that takes two headlights and my GPS leaving the bars clear to hold onto!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Yon can get a water bottle shaped container with a screw off lid. Keep your tools in that and store it in a second bottle cage, on your seat tube. That frees up your seat post for the light.

https://www.merlincycles.com/bbb-btl-18 ... gIxCvD_BwE
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Roadster

Post by Roadster »

I too use a bottle like that to carry my toolkit etc. It's more easily removed than a saddle pack when leaving the bike unattended.
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

I've seen a number of bikes with a small bag on the top tube, immediately behind the head tube. Could be an alternative to the small rear bag.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/search/?term=top%20tube%20bags
14 to choose from here
Last edited by Grandad on 16 Dec 2017, 11:52pm, edited 1 time in total.
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

The numerous 'chip on board' or cob lights that are available now have wider viewing angles than most others which helps if they can't be mounted quite straight. If you have a small ish rear light that is rubber band mounted they are highly visible when fixed to the back of a helmet, and the light is less likely to be obscured by vehicles when mounted at that height.
mjr

Post by mjr »

gregoryoftours wrote:The numerous 'chip on board' or cob lights that are available now have wider viewing angles than most others which helps if they can't be mounted quite straight. If you have a small ish rear light that is rubber band mounted they are highly visible when fixed to the back of a helmet, and the light is less likely to be obscured by vehicles when mounted at that height.

And far more likely to point in the wrong direction or dazzle other cyclists, plus doesn't count as legal lighting. It's a bad idea.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Grandad wrote:I've seen a number of bikes with a small bag on the top tube, immediately behind the head tube. Could be an alternative to the small rear bag.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/search/?term=top%20tube%20bags
14 to choose from here

I have used the Space Grip successfully to mount lights below a saddlebag on the rear seat
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Tangled Metal wrote:Most rear lights tend to be seatpost mounted these days I've just got a really good one given to me but to use it I've got to remove my seat pack or the light isn't high enough to be fully visible from the rear.

I've got an xl bike so if my light is obscured then smaller bikes more so. What are the options?

My seat pack is useful for carrying repair kit. It's just in the wrong spot. Would be better if it could be attached at the base of the seatpost.

The light is a Lezyne laser guide light. I carry an inner tube plus topeak survival gear box in the pack. I have a rack plus single pannier, this rack is obscuring the light a bit.

Ziptie a short length of Pvc pipe or broomstick on the seatpack :idea: if this has no webbing loop, it takes no time to sew 2" of webbing to the seatpack.
Then clip the light bracket onto. Job done!

Webbing can be recyclind from many things, like old bags, excessive length of shoulder straps on old rucksacks (or their hip-belt) and so on.
It really is a 5 minues job at most.
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...