oily rag

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Patrickpioneer

oily rag

Post by Patrickpioneer »

This morning it was pouring with rain but I still went out on my hack bike, a Peugeot Aspin with many mods. Now am I the only Luddite left that wipes his frame down with a good old oily rag after being in the rain? and should I rub my knees with the same rag?
fossala

Re: oily rag

Post by fossala »

I went for a run this morning to Screwfix to pick up some WD40. I must of looked strange running home (5mile round trip) holding a large can of WD40, I did wonder if people that saw me thought it was for my joints.
SmilerGB

Post by SmilerGB »

That's not a bad idea to be fair, its something that's never occurred to me to try, tho I'm a fan of Muc-off products i.e. spray protect so after a wet ride all I have to do is wipe off the beaded water.
The bicycle is a simple solution to some of the world's most complicated problems.
Roadster

Post by Roadster »

Patrickpioneer wrote: Now am I the only Luddite left that wipes his frame down with a good old oily rag after being in the rain? and should I rub my knees with the same rag?

Do you mean your body frame or your bicycle frame? If the former, you should rub it all over and do the appendages as well while you're at it. You should also do it before being in the rain rather than after, because prevention is invariably better than cure.
rjb

Post by rjb »

Oily rags are now well known as being carcinogenic. Sorry to be a party pooper but have a read of this.
https://safety-matters-in-business.blog ... h.html?m=1
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Patrickpioneer wrote:Now am I the only Luddite left that wipes his frame down with a good old oily rag after being in the rain?
I thought it was the other way around and only modern trendy hipsters had to wipe a bike off after a ride. 65 year old Luddite me never has done and probably never will.
Roadster

Post by Roadster »

rjb wrote:Sorry to be a party pooper...

That's okay, but surely you didn't think we were being serious...?
Patrickpioneer

Post by Patrickpioneer »

Do you mean your body frame or your bicycle frame? If the former, you should rub it all over and do the appendages as well while you're at it. You should also do it before being in the rain rather than after, because prevention is invariably better than cure.[/quote]

Ah! now I know where I have been going wrong all these years, thank you old chap, jolly decent of you.
Roadster

Post by Roadster »

:) You're very welcome, Patrick!
I regard myself as an expert in preventative medicine, and have adopted an holistic approach in my own personal use of the oily rag. Its benefits are not just physical, but mental, emotional and spiritual as well!
Patrickpioneer

Post by Patrickpioneer »

I love all this metaphysical stuff, Bertrand Russel would be proud,
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

rjb wrote:Oily rags are now well known as being carcinogenic. Sorry to be a party pooper but have a read of this.
https://safety-matters-in-business.blog ... h.html?m=1

This has been known for a long time - at least from the fifties. Actually I think the risk of wiping down a frame with an oily rag is minimal - if you keep one in your pocket probably more so.
There was a time when it was common for people to work all day in oil soaked overalls - that is a serious risk.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

If the bike is being put away after a wet ride I use an old towel to wipe it down then spray it with gt85 it's much cleaner to use than another water displacing spray I've used and leaves very little residue.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Patrickpioneer wrote:This morning it was pouring with rain but I still went out on my hack bike, a Peugeot Aspin with many mods. Now am I the only Luddite left that wipes his frame down with a good old oily rag after being in the rain? and should I rub my knees with the same rag?

Oil on the frame won't do that much: the frame is painted but the water would still go in the small gaps where the rag won't go.
For me, the best is always to clean the bike after riding in wet conditions, GT85 is good in displacing water from hard to reach places
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

Where can I buy an oily rag? Wiggle don't sell them

I'm very time poor, can I buy a rag that has been pre-oiled, or pay someone to oil my rag? It seems that the older and oilier the rag is the better, so will pay good money for very old, very oiley rag, preferably torn, but could tear myself if necessary
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

mnichols wrote:Where can I buy an oily rag? Wiggle don't sell them

I'm very time poor, can I buy a rag that has been pre-oiled, or pay someone to oil my rag? It seems that the older and oilier the rag is the better, so will pay good money for very old, very oiley rag, preferably torn, but could tear myself if necessary

Have a look at my vocab thread, you could dip your rag in the skog :o
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies