How to make an old frame shine like new ?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
cricklewood_graeme

How to make an old frame shine like new ?

Post by cricklewood_graeme »

Has anyone got any tips on how to make a jaded frame and guards shine like new? I have a hobby based in Sweden selling second hand bikes at a street market and as there is a lot of competition from other vendors I want my bikes to stand out from the crowd. I had wondered whether T cut polish would work but haven't had the nerve to try in case it makes matters worse. I once ruined a car by using T cut which I later learned should never be used on metallic paint jobs. I guess most bike paint jobs are not metallic but I might be out of date on that.
Last edited by Graham on 18 Dec 2017, 2:55pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title : It's political correctness gorn mad
old_windbag

Re: Primping a bike for sale

Post by old_windbag »

You can get metallic t-cut especially for such finishes. Someone I know used it to remove vandal spray paint from a silver car. It worked fine without issue as it is gentle on the surface lacquer.

I've used t-cut metal polish to renovate alloy parts( non lacqueured ), it worked very well restoring the parts back to nearly new. Even lacqueured cranks were improved.

I also use standard automotive polish such as autoglym super resin polish, you can also get a finishing polish for concourse quality but I was afraid to use it on my car in case I messed up :? .

You could also use the vinyl and rubber cleaner from autoglym to do the tyres.
foxyrider

Re: Primping a bike for sale

Post by foxyrider »

After a good wash ordinary, cheap wax furniture polish does a fair job.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Bonefishblues

Re: Pimping a bike for sale

Post by Bonefishblues »

Light cut car polish, ensuring it's suitable for hand application, is what you're after at Halfords. Meguirs is often recommended. Once polished seal with something like furniture polish.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

On chrome and aluminium I use 'astonish' paste, it's cheap and gets a great finish. On paintwork it really depends on how bad it is, you don't want to take more than the grime off imho.
At the end of the day if your bikes aren't selling well compared to your competotors then there are other problems you need to consider other than purely cosmetic look of your bikes.
Good luck.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

if in doubt about the suitability of a particular product, do what it usually says on the label; "trial on an inconspicuous area first".

There are so many different types of finish on various metals and various kinds of paint that there are very few products that are likely to do much good to some of them whilst being harmless to all of them.

One thing that is often worth doing with a clean but worn or weathered paint or plated finish is to apply a fresh layer of clear coat to it. Acrylic lacquer is easy to apply but doesn't last. You can get aerosol cans of two-pack lacquer (with a use-by date of a couple of weeks after they have been activated) which is a much better product, but then it should be, it is a lot more expensive.

[BTW I would have said that in the context of your question, 'primping' would indeed be more appropriate than 'pimping'...]

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PH

Post by PH »

My dad used to dabble in car sales when I was a kid, it was my job to paint the tyres with something intended for it. I never understood why it made such a difference but it did.
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

In the old days :wink: , the 70's/80's, new cars used to arrive to garages covered in a coating of wax. I used to steam clean it off with a mix of water and paraffin I believe, then use standard auto polishes to valet them ready for transport to the local showroom. Very therapeutic, the finishes in those days were quite poor and flat coats would soon "oxidise" requiring the obligatory T-cut to restore the finish. But the rust would have set in before that :) , car paint finishes have come on leaps and bounds and the detailing products and bodywork fixes available are excellent.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

If you want to make bike frame paintwork and cycle parts shine use GT8,sprayed on and polished up with a soft rag,old cotton T shirts are ideal for the job :)
PS don't use it on rims with rim brakes though
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mattsccm

Re: How to make an old frame shine like new ?

Post by mattsccm »

Oily rag. Good for OPs original question and whatever the thread has deteriorated into.
Bowedw

Primping, pimping, tarts & coffee

Post by Bowedw »

Mr Muscle according to some is supposed to be effective. Maybe try on a small area first.
scottg

Post by scottg »

Lemon Pledge, it is furniture cleaner/polish.
Popular with vintage bike collectors.
And it makes your bike smell lemony fresh. :)
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

you have had all the legit answers. now for one not so :wink: change you selling plot to some where in the shade or dark - any paintwork looks great in the dark - my old m/c looks like new then :wink: