Highway code update

For discussions within the Cycle Training profession.
Elucasr

Highway code update

Post by Elucasr »

"A recommendation that anyone wishing to improve their confidence and safety should undertake cycle training to the National Standard "

This is the clause which is being recommended by the CTC. It could well become mandatory. If it did we would be likely to see the same thing happen as happened to the RAC/ACU Motorcycle Traing Scheme. This was organised by the Motorcycle Clubs at nominal cost. When it was seen to be successful the driving schools got interested and now it is a commercial enterprise.
keepontriking

Re:Highway code update

Post by keepontriking »

On the face of it this sounds sensible.

BUT...

If this were included might it not have the same effect as the proposed changes on cycle 'facilities'?
If a cyclist had not undertaken training might not they considered to be partly negligent towards their own safety?
Could not this be a start towards compulsory training and testing?

Perhaps someone from CTC Cycle Training Department might like to comment?
Andy Tallis

Post by Andy Tallis »

How about "you may wish to undertake cycle training to the National Standard if it would improve your confidence, skill and safety." Someone who took cycling proficiency in 1960 and has been riding 10000m a year since rpobably doesn't need to worry about the national cycle training standard as they'll know it all already.

Andy :-)
keepontriking

Post by keepontriking »

Might not that be equated to someone who took their driving test in 1960 saying the same - that they must be safe drivers, know everything about driving safely, and don't require any further training?

My own experience on the road seems to indicate that this may not be the case and that those who are never in wrong are very often those who are.
Andy Tallis

Post by Andy Tallis »

Perhaps true and a very good point. Circumstances have changed somewhat. Although someone who has been riding regularly all that time would probably have adapted to the changes as they arose.

Andy :-)
Wendy

Post by Wendy »

It would be good though if councils had to teach to NS if they offer any courses at all. Aspects of cycle training in this part of the world leave a lot to be desired and are potentially dangerous - what you have to remember is we all had access to training almost automatically when we were younger and today's younger generation should at least have that same right!
Wendy

Post by Wendy »

WE do hold a certain amount of power in our own hands over this, I will ask again, anyone interested in converging on Westminster by bike and that way we could all have our say if it is organised properly and we stick to an agreed plan of action! :-)
keepontriking

Post by keepontriking »

I am VERY interested.
But you need to set a date pretty quickly.

John
Wendy

Post by Wendy »

Let's see if we can get Jennifer to put it out in the next I-contact .... see what reaction we get that way!
Roger Geffen

Post by Roger Geffen »

To Elukas, Keepontriking et al

Let me reassure you, we are very conscious of the need to strike a balancing act between “recommending” cycle training whilst not doing anything that might prompt “creeping compulsion” towards cyclists being required to take a test! The wording of CTC's response to the Highway Code consultation will reflect this.

We will be compiling a suggested "template" response to the Highway consultation (that is, when the hecticness of the Road Safety Bill and CTC's office move have died down a bit!). When done, we will post this on the CTC website, and will email everyone who has used the website to contact their MP about the Highway Code (that's 10,000 people as of this morning!), encouraging them to send in their own consultation submissions (based on the template) to the Driving Standards Agency. We will also include an alert about this in the I-contact trainers e-bulletin.

Best wishes

Roger Geffen
Campaigns & Policy Manager, CTC