Stone-Age
2%
Other
2%

Total votes: 42

Cyril Haearn

Re: Vege, Vegan or Carnivore

Post by Cyril Haearn »

david7591 wrote:And most scandalous of all, the poll excludes my diet the world famous ‘junk’ diet. Right I’m now off to lie down in a darkened room.

Sorry sorry, I tried to think of everything, but if I change the poll now all votes will be zeroed :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Annoying Twit wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:I do love... lentil soup

Have you tried the Aldi vine tomato and lentil soup? In the 'fresh soup' plastic containers in the fridge.

This lentil soup is lovely.. did you open the tin yourself? :wink:

No, I make it from scratch, have been for years, hardly buy tins but I do look at tins to see what the ingredients are

I live near a soup factory. Years ago there was a fire in the warehouse, the firepersons had to stand back, thousands of tins of lentil soup were exploding, it was just too hazardous
Annoying Twit

Post by Annoying Twit »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Annoying Twit wrote:
Have you tried the Aldi vine tomato and lentil soup? In the 'fresh soup' plastic containers in the fridge.

This lentil soup is lovely.. did you open the tin yourself? :wink:

No, I make it from scratch, have been for years, hardly buy tins but I do look at tins to see what the ingredients are

I live near a soup factory. Years ago there was a fire in the warehouse, the firepersons had to stand back, thousands of tins of lentil soup were exploding, it was just too hazardous

Fair 'nuff. I make soup sometimes, but the thing I have most trouble with is getting the balance of spices correct. I wonder sometimes if there is a soup forum somewhere with the soup version of Brucey to answer all soup questions.
Last edited by Annoying Twit on 20 Dec 2017, 11:03pm, edited 1 time in total.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Last edited by reohn2 on 21 Dec 2017, 9:35am, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

reohn2 wrote:On not the soup.... http://www.timfoxall.com/oh-no-not-the-soup.html

Looks like a customised spurtle (wooden implement for stirring porridge) :)

In Wales we go one better, have a look at our love spoons, can Scotland do anything like that?
fossala

Post by fossala »

flat tyre wrote:I have been vegetarian for at least 5 days a week, however after a recent medical check up my doctor has told me that I need to eat more protein and I'm finding it difficult to get the recommended daily protein consumption with a mainly vegetarian diet.

Getting protein is easy without eating meat. Their is a recent gcn video about being a vegan pro cyclist and the guy on there says he has never know lack of protein to be a problem for any veg/vegan athlete.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Omnivore, but with a few provisos.

I'll eat anything except:
Porridge
Garlic and garlic flavouring
Junk food especially MacDonalds
Salt and Vinegar crisps
Mick F. Cornwall
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Can you even be a vegan in the modern world?

I thought vegan meant not meat, meat products or byproducts. I believe almost everything in this modern world is made of it with products if animals. I bet if someone claiming vegan status looked into everything they consumed (food and material items) then I bet there's animals involved.

Sorry but I'm a bit pedantic about that. And don't get me onto the topic of vegetarians who ready fish or chicken you're a piscatorian or a pescatorian I believe the term is. Definitely not a vegetarian.

Feel better. But that off by chest! :D
Jon Lucas

Post by Jon Lucas »

Tangled Metal wrote:Can you even be a vegan in the modern world?

I thought vegan meant not meat, meat products or byproducts. I believe almost everything in this modern world is made of it with products if animals. I bet if someone claiming vegan status looked into everything they consumed (food and material items) then I bet there's animals involved.

Sorry but I'm a bit pedantic about that. And don't get me onto the topic of vegetarians who ready fish or chicken you're a piscatorian or a pescatorian I believe the term is. Definitely not a vegetarian.

Feel better. But that off by chest! :D

Yes, that's why I always describe myself as mostly vegan, as a true vegan aims to ensure they don't eat, wear or in any other way consume anything that may have once derived from an animal. Whenever these sort of surveys come up I'm never sure whether I should tick vegan or vegetarian, I've ticked vegan for this one but a hard core vegan would certainly not recognise my diet as being vegan.

However, I've been vegetarian for almost 43 years and mostly vegan for at least 35. While I've often worried about B12 deficiency, all blood tests I've had have shown my levels as perfectly normal (though I note that the Vegan Society are very cautious about blood test results on vegans for B12). I get B12 from eating Marmite every day (which a strict vegan wouldn't) and from foods that have been fortified with B12, and I never insist on vegan food when someone is cooking for me, so will find myself consuming some dairy products or eggs occasionally. I became vegan mainly due to incessant problems with catarrh, which were quickly solved by the diet change. Protein, as has been said, is no problem for a vegan, there are plenty of sources and a good varied wholefood diet will provide these.
Si

Post by Si »

david7591 wrote:And.... Stone Age is yet another unnecessary name for omnivore. Plus Stone Age covered around 7,000 years of human history, from early nomadics through the development of agriculture.

you are a little off in your figures there, stone age covers the period from the emergence of the first modern humans up to the end of the neolithic. For europe this is around 35000 years, a lot longer elsewhere. Which does suggest thst your point is event more valid..it covers such a long time and wide geography that there is no uniform diet that is stone age.
Si

Post by Si »

My diet is mostly veg but i have tended to eat 'hunted' meat....ie meat from animals that have had a fairly natural wild life. The reason for this is that the animals should have better welfare than farmed animals, that they wont be so full of steroids, growth hormones, etc, and that game is so much harder to get that it limits the amount i eat anyway.

Alas is doesnt really work. Loads of game animals are now farmed instead, even stuff like pheasents are artificially fed, and, of course, you often have no idea how fish are caught (or what they have been swimming in).

So now i am mostly vege and slowly removing dairy.

Reasons....health (dodgy kidneys), animal welfare and environmentalism.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

david7591 wrote:And whilst I’m at it, vegetarian with milk eggs and fish isn’t vegetarian, it’s omnivore.

While it may not be strictly vegetarian, it is just used here to describe someone who eats some fish, maybe shellfish, but not other forms of flesh. It isn't a perfect way to do it, but it is completely understandable.

I ticked that box because I occasionally eat some shellfish. I usually tell people I don't eat anything that used to have a face.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Vorpal wrote: .... I usually tell people I don't eat anything that used to have a face.

I draw the line at anything looking at me so I usually check how prawns will be served before ordering them. I was caught out the other day when I ordered a dish with prawns in a sauce, which turned out to be still complete down in there. Getting the shell off was messier than it would have been but I managed. Which goes to show I can be a bit squeamish but I have a good appetite and few real principles. :oops:
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

Si wrote:
david7591 wrote:And.... Stone Age is yet another unnecessary name for omnivore. Plus Stone Age covered around 7,000 years of human history, from early nomadics through the development of agriculture.

you are a little off in your figures there, stone age covers the period from the emergence of the first modern humans up to the end of the neolithic. For europe this is around 35000 years, a lot longer elsewhere. Which does suggest thst your point is event more valid..it covers such a long time and wide geography that there is no uniform diet that is stone age.

Yes indeed, around 90% of all people who have ever lived have been hunters, fishers and gatherers.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

I’m low meat heading toward meat free. It is increasingly obvious that we cannot feed everyone if we all continue to eat meat at current western rates.