Thorn resistant tyres?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Scunnered

Thorn resistant tyres?

Post by Scunnered »

Another puncture this week, hawthorn again. When the hedges get trimmed, all the trimmings get left on the road/path :evil:

Any recomendations for thorn resistant tyres that are not too sluggish and don't cost a fortune, 32mm wide?
NUKe

Re: Thorn resistant tyres?

Post by NUKe »

Budget Vittoria randonnier , mid price Swalbe marathons
NUKe

Post by ralphradford »

I have been riding on Schwalbe Marathon Tyres for around 3 years and ride regular along canal & riverside paths with hawthorn along them.Hope I'm not tempting fate but still puncture free.You should find some good prices on Amazon.
colin54

Post by colin54 »

You won't go far wrong with the Marathons mentioned above, I've been using Marathon Supremes which I've been pleased with,

seem quite easy rolling on the road,no punctures all year, not so good grip-wise if the paths you use are muddy.

Wired Supremes are £20 each at Spa at the moment, only in 700x32mm

https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s142p32 ... reme-wired

The Marathon Greenguards mentioned( HS 240 )are £16 each also at Spa.

https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s142p30 ... uard-HS420

Plus £4 postage on both the above.
Nu-Fogey
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

All good suggestions, I rode the Marathon Greenguards for a while and they were definitely puncture proof. A bit of a harsh ride for long distance touring, but more than acceptable for commuting.

BUT

Who is doing the cutting?

If it is the council, then they have an obligation to clear up the cuttings. I presume that any private operator has a similar obligation.

report them.
yostumpy

Post by yostumpy »

700 x 32 greenguards £16.00 ea (post free for 2) at Ribble., Just bought some, 10 mins ago. :wink:

I am using 35mm folding supremes, bt they are a wee bit slippy in the skog and no good at all for mild ruff stuff when its wet. so the greenguards are for winter fitment.

Mind you, 700c slime tubes are £6 ish at Wilkos
Thornyone

Post by Thornyone »

I’m also using Marathon Greenguards. Used the heavier Marathons a few years ago and never had a puncture. Used to use slime, but whilst it got me home if I got a thorn, the tyres used to lose air if the bike was not moving for a while, and I found that any puncture bigger than a thorn would not seal and couldn’t be patched due to leaking slime. FWIW if I got a thorn puncture I used to find that it was best to remove as much hawthorn twig as possible but leave the thorn itself in place until I got home because it tended to act as an effective plug until I could mend it at leisure at home. I always used to regret pulling too enthusiastically at a twig and hearing the deadly hiss.....
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

yostumpy wrote:700 x 32 greenguards £16.00 ea (post free for 2) at Ribble., Just bought some, 10 mins ago. :wink:

I am using 35mm folding supremes, bt they are a wee bit slippy in the skog and no good at all for mild ruff stuff when its wet. so the greenguards are for winter fitment.

What is skog? I want to add it to my vocab thread
Merci
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Scunnered

Post by Scunnered »

Thanks all, Marathons it will be.
Debs

Post by Debs »

Been using Conti 4 season for almost 20 years [ or around 40,000 + miles or so ] and so far apart from 1 pinch puncture [my fault for neglecting to check tyre pressure and keep them pumped up hard] only 1 thorn related puncture to report - which actually resulted in a very slow puncture with time enough to get home. The thorn was so tiny i could hardly see the thing, had trouble finding it, needed tweezers to pull it out being stuck though the kevlar, and needed a 16x eye magnifier to see what it was, it certainly looked organic, and like a thorn, a tiny weeny one :)
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I've used (and worn out) Marathon Greenguards and had a couple of punctures (flint shark tooth then thorn). Switched to Marathon Plus' and had a puncture (thorn). I'm happy with the level of puncture protection provided by both though if I needed new tyres tomorrow and in the absence of contrary advice I'd stick with the Marathon Plus'.

Trouble is that my experiences are not useful because so much must depend on the "exposure". Somebody riding clean roads and gets a puncture 1st thorn they come across is very different from somebody regularly riding through thorn covered roads and eventually one thorn gets through. Both have just the one puncture but their tyres provided very different levels of protection.

Ian
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Its all fantasy!

Thorns will go through motorcycle tyres so bicycle tyres have no chance.
Hawthorns, nails, glass, path flints (crushed grit) you think you can stop them.

Riding miles without flats is just luck.

Its all man made.

Take away man made stuff dropped, and you just get pinch flats.

Pure anecdotal just like complex chain cleaning regimes.

Have a Merry Xmas and a Happy New year :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
yostumpy

Post by yostumpy »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
yostumpy wrote:700 x 32 greenguards £16.00 ea (post free for 2) at Ribble., Just bought some, 10 mins ago. :wink:

What is skog? I want to add it to my vocab thread
Merci

'skoggy mess' a sort of filthy thick grime encrusted organic matter, that lives mostly at the side of the road this time of year, where one is forced to cycle.
Rds220

Post by Rds220 »

I’ve used Continental GatorSkin & 4 Seasons over a few thousand miles and never had an issue with punctures - both on and off road
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Its all fantasy!

Thorns will go through motorcycle tyres so bicycle tyres have no chance.

Hawthorns, nails, glass, path flints (crushed grit) you think you can stop them.

Riding miles without flats is just luck.

Its all man made.

Take away man made stuff dropped, and you just get pinch flats.

Pure anecdotal just like complex chain cleaning regimes.

Have a Merry Xmas and a Happy New year :)

I'm inclined to agree but some tyres are a little better at resisting punctures. If you get a hawthorn spike then all bets are off.

The problem here is with Hawthorn and worse after high winds, all sorts of rubbish gets blown onto the tracks and you can't avoid it.