Best gear cables

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
mellon farmer

Best gear cables

Post by mellon farmer »

I have been having all kinds of indexing issues recently and decoded to re-cable for the new year. I have dura ace bar end shifters to ulegra mechs, all 9speed. After reliability over cost but nothing overtly spendy.

The shifters state to only be used with 7700 mechs, would this be the issue? I set everything up on the way to work then indexing is out on the ride home :( very frustrating!!

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my U15 Pro using hovercraft full of eels.
robgul

Re: Best gear cables

Post by robgul »

Two observations:

1 Pretty much any of the basic Shimano outer and inner cables are fine (that's what they fit as OE) - if you have doubts on your current set up replace both inner and outer (and don't be conned by the Shimano "sets of cables" - just get the inners, and outers off the roll at the LBS.

2 You say "set up on the way to work" - does that mean you twiddle the cable adjusters as you are riding along? - if so IMHO that's probably part of your issue with the homeward trip. Best to set the indexing with the bike on the workstand (i.e not being ridden) with a consistent speed of rotation so that there are no variations of chain tension/effort from on-road riding. On the road adjustments should then be minimal, and when stopped! (only quarter or eighth of a turn on the adjusters)

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

mellon farmer wrote:I have been having all kinds of indexing issues recently and decoded to re-cable for the new year. I have dura ace bar end shifters to ulegra mechs, all 9speed. After reliability over cost but nothing overtly spendy.

The shifters state to only be used with 7700 mechs, would this be the issue? ...

9s Dura-Ace levers work with all other shimano 9s rear mechs. [What they don't work with is older Dura-Ace rear mechs that are meant for 6/7/8s SIS systems; at this time the Dura_Ace shift ratio was different].

What you describe sounds absolutely typical behaviour for knackered cables. If you don't want to disturb the bar tape then it may be worth trying a new inner cable (suitably lubricated etc) in the old outer cables, once they are flushed/cleaned, and the integrity of the ferrules is checked. You can buy a good quality stainless inner cable (good enough for 9s systems) for ~£2 (eg in decathlon).

BTW remember to check that the cable isn't dragging badly in a worn/dirty BB cable guide.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rule5

Post by Rule5 »

Agree with all above comments plus....

I had similar symptoms to you for a while despite complete cable change. Eventually found that the gear hanger was slightly loose from frame, and so derailleur was wobbling, causing unpredictable and intensely annoying poor gear changes after seemingly sorting it (again).
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

Are you saying that you've already changed cables and that it's not changing right post-change, or that you are going to change them? Just whatever you do make sure you use good quality cables, that the inners are stainless, and don't use plastic outer caps as these can get punched through by the outer cable strands (admittedly on poorly maintained bikes). Shimano cables are good, as are many others. Certain varieties of 5mm braided gear outer are quite rigid so I now favour 4 or 4.5mm outer for gear cables.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my Redmi Note 4 using hovercraft full of eels.
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

[Check all the other stuff too, of course, cable routing and bedded in fully, BB guide, rear mech not out of alignment, not excessive play in the pivots of the mech, cable clamped correctly at the rear mech, jockey wheels not too worn and not wobbling all over the place, loose cassette/free hub etc. If you're still on the old cables there could be broken strands at the cable heads, although I don't know if this happens with bar end shifters.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my Redmi Note 4 using hovercraft full of eels.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mellon farmer wrote:I have been having all kinds of indexing issues recently and decoded to re-cable for the new year. I have dura ace bar end shifters to ulegra mechs, all 9speed. After reliability over cost but nothing overtly spendy.

The shifters state to only be used with 7700 mechs, would this be the issue? I set everything up on the way to work then indexing is out on the ride home :( very frustrating!!

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my U15 Pro using hovercraft full of eels.

If it's so bad I'd first check the rear mech alignment and jockey wheels if you're satisfied all is A1,renew the outer(Jagwire or Shimano) and inner cables (stainless steel as Brucey posted Decathlon sell them) and the plastic BB guide.

You could also take the opportunity of replacing the bar tape if it's looking a bit sad :) .
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden