Snow?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cyril Haearn

Re: Snow?

Post by Cyril Haearn »

mjr wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:
Vorpal wrote:We've had snow on the ground for about 3 weeks now. :lol:

But you are also quite capable of dealing with it...

You say that but I know someone who had the misfortune to be in Finland when they had their first heavy snow of the winter, earlier than most years. They completely failed to cope with many many hours of travel delays and apparently that's a near-annual occurence for the first heavy snow, as it takes time for people to change vehicles over to winter tyres and government to get the winter works programme started and so on... but then it just works for the rest of the winter.

In a way, most of the UK has a tougher time dealing with temperatures bouncing over freezing point for months.

Surely one can change the tyres early just in case
Or use 4-season tyres as I do
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

mjr wrote:You say that but I know someone who had the misfortune to be in Finland when they had their first heavy snow of the winter, earlier than most years. They completely failed to cope with many many hours of travel delays and apparently that's a near-annual occurence for the first heavy snow, as it takes time for people to change vehicles over to winter tyres and government to get the winter works programme started and so on... but then it just works for the rest of the winter.

People legally have to have snow tyres on their cars after a certain date. The problem occurs when snow happens before people have done it.

Some people take the time to sort it out. Some people don't drive, and a small minority think they will get away with going out with summer tyres. That combined with new drivers and people who forgotten what snow is like can make for chaos.

There tend to be delays here the first day of heavy snow, but I wouldn't have said hours of delays. The first snowfall here this year probably meant twice as long to get home for commuters on the road (bus, taxi, & private vehicle).
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
mjr

Post by mjr »

old_windbag wrote:Heatwave next week mjr so put your studded tyres on hold :wink: .

You should be thanking me for causing the heatwave by ordering more studded tyres!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

mjr wrote:You should be thanking me for causing the heatwave by ordering more studded tyres!

They'll come in handy again soon but it's nice that we can all ride safely for most of next week and get out again. The roads were difficult to even walk on never mind contemplate a bike on so studded tyres have always impressed me. A video on youtube showed them on an ice rink but it was cut short when they were told to get off the ice by the "parky". :)
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
More sprinklings of snow on Haytor Dartmoor, 2 degrees this morning :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

It rained here and was windy a bit overnight.
Been sunny, but cold, for the day today.
Not been out today, but I would have expected to have seen snow on Dartmoor.

I understand that the A30 was hit by snow and high winds between Launceston and Bolventor.
Mick F. Cornwall
PH

Post by PH »

Bit of a snow flurry here today in an otherwise spring like Derbyshire, saw some daffodils out in bloom, but they're not fooling me.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

A dusting of snow in many places all the way up the M5 and M4 from Exeter to South Oxfordshire. 2 1/2 hour journey took nearly 5 hours :x

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

Snow in the Lake District but low level roads all clear. Very icy this morning. Not a day for the high passes!
rjb

Post by rjb »

Mick F wrote:I understand that the A30 was hit by snow and high winds between Launceston and Bolventor.

Been fleeced on every visit to the Jamaica Inn. :(

Snow is visible on the tops of the Brendons, Quantocks and Blackdowns, Will all be gone in a few days. :D
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

just very cold here in London. How do people cope with the cold air, dont do me any good at all
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I cope by not going out into it ........... if I can help it. Zero DegC out there now, and black and white ice abounds.

As I've become older, my tolerance of the cold has decreased. Not been on the bike since 13th December. :oops:
Mick F. Cornwall
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

mercalia wrote:just very cold here in London. How do people cope with the cold air, dont do me any good at all

My strategy these days is not to go out. I often go out for a walk around the warmest part of day but I don’t entertain the bike finding I’m out of breath very quickly in cold weather. The roads are dry just now but then you walk around the corner and discover frozen water all over the road.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
pwa

Post by pwa »

Mick F wrote:I cope by not going out into it ........... if I can help it. Zero DegC out there now, and black and white ice abounds.

As I've become older, my tolerance of the cold has decreased. Not been on the bike since 13th December. :oops:

When the ice comes I put the bike away and get the hiking boots out. I did a circuit of Cardiff Bay yesterday and there were crowds of people doing the same. No snow, not even a hint, down here near the coast. Nice to see so many families getting out for a bit of exercise in the winter sunshine.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Mick F wrote:I cope by not going out into it ........... if I can help it. Zero DegC out there now, and black and white ice abounds.

Cold snap will end soon but we have had snow in the south (devon) many times in the past.
I have not been on bike since 26th nov, 5 minutes on the turbo was not painful so I will have to get on that.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.