best set up for ladies

531colin

Re: best set up for ladies

Postby 531colin » 14 Oct 2016, 6:53pm

cotterpins wrote:............That's interesting. Because I noticed that the saddle was pointing downward, and it wouldn't lift up at all. The only way I could get it to tilt upward was to remove the saddle and mount it backwards, then turn the whole lot [seat pin as well] round the correct way towards the bars. Saddle tipped slightly upwards now.

This bit concerns me. The saddle needs to be far enough back so that there isn't any excess weight on the rider's hands.....make sure the clamp holding the saddle is behind the seatpost, not in front of it.
The other bit that concerns me is the revelation that the rider is five feet or less in height.....getting a conventional 700c wheeled, drop-barred bike to fit somebody five feet tall is going to make the twelve labours of Hercules look a piece of cake....the current thread on this evergreen topic is here...http://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=106883&start=30
....and my basic guide to bike set-up can be downloaded from here http://wheel-easy.org.uk/ride-calendar.html....click bike set up in the yellow box.

Flinders

Postby Flinders » 1 Nov 2016, 10:52pm

531colin wrote:The other bit that concerns me is the revelation that the rider is five feet or less in height.....getting a conventional 700c wheeled, drop-barred bike to fit somebody five feet tall is going to make the twelve labours of Hercules look a piece of cake..

But it can be done, though it isn't easy. I'm 5' tall and proportionally short in the leg with it. Last time, locally I had a choice of one frame that fitted. And now that manufacturer (Ridley) doesn't do it any more (I think it is described as an XXsmall, but not sure, I'd have to go and look to check). It would probably look a bit funny to most people, but it fits me beautifully, better than any bike I've ever had.

My biggest problem came when saddles developed big blocks underneath - my previous bike it had been possible to set the saddle literally flat down onto the top tube by reversing the fittings. When I needed a new saddle, it wasn't possible for me to find one that would do that any more.
The one I have now has a sloping top tube, so with the saddle set at its lowest possible setting, I can get on it. However, though I have a stem that is set forward to accommodate my long back, I suspect I still need a slightly longer one. I'm going to get measured up when I have the time (and money :| ) to see if I do.

531colin

Postby 531colin » 2 Nov 2016, 4:55pm

Flinders wrote:
531colin wrote:The other bit that concerns me is the revelation that the rider is five feet or less in height.....getting a conventional 700c wheeled, drop-barred bike to fit somebody five feet tall is going to make the twelve labours of Hercules look a piece of cake..

But it can be done, though it isn't easy. I'm 5' tall and proportionally short in the leg with it. Last time, locally I had a choice of one frame that fitted. And now that manufacturer (Ridley) doesn't do it any more (I think it is described as an XXsmall, but not sure, I'd have to go and look to check). It would probably look a bit funny to most people, but it fits me beautifully, better than any bike I've ever had.

My biggest problem came when saddles developed big blocks underneath - my previous bike it had been possible to set the saddle literally flat down onto the top tube by reversing the fittings. When I needed a new saddle, it wasn't possible for me to find one that would do that any more.
The one I have now has a sloping top tube, so with the saddle set at its lowest possible setting, I can get on it. However, though I have a stem that is set forward to accommodate my long back, I suspect I still need a slightly longer one. I'm going to get measured up when I have the time (and money :| ) to see if I do.

You're not selling it to me as an easy job.
I know it can be done, if you set out to do it right from the get go.

You have all seen this before....my friend is five feet nothing, on that bike she has standover clearance and toe clearance with 700 x 35 tyres and mudguards.

Flinders

Postby Flinders » 29 Jan 2017, 8:47pm

I'll have to see if I can find a way to post a pic of my steed. :mrgreen:

Vmax

Postby Vmax » 29 Dec 2017, 5:23pm

We are, as others have said, all different. So I'm not going to tell you what to do but I will tell you what I do. I am a woman of shortish stature and what height I do have is concentrated in my legs, so I like a short top tube. Others like long ones, so aren't we lucky that both are available in the marketplace. I tilt my saddle down, just slightly, to avoid agony - I'll spare you the details. I ride a Selle Italia Lady Trans-am saddle (now called something else) with a smooth real leather covering and I have two the same - nothing else will do for me. Some people like Brooks, I won't say they shouldn't but I will say that Brooks saddles are heavier than many others. I like my bars level with my saddle. Finally, I use Assos chamois cream, which is both antibacterial and anti-fungal. I dispute that it's expensive - many women use face moisturising cream which lasts a fraction of the time and costs more, so surely the Assos cream is economical by comparison; one tub lasts me more than a year, and I decant it into a little tub when I go away. One last thing - the longer I stay off my bike, the worse it is. I think that means that my soft tissue hardens a little - but maybe it just goes numb! If so a hot bath feels great, and if you are one of the many men who don't get why women like baths, well now you know.