Tyre Lever in CW advert- Info?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Firstly this isn't a plug for the product, and secondly I considered it to be 'tech' rather than 'does anyone know' - hope that's ok.
Anyway, having a quick look at Cycling Weekly a while ago I noticed an ad for a 'new' design of tyre lever (presumably for getting on tight tyres without pinching tube). I thought it was called 'tyre key' but can't find it with an online search- can anyone enlighten me?
Thanks in anticipation, FP
softlips

Re: Tyre Lever in CW advert- Info?

Post by softlips »

https://www.tyrekey.com/

I've purchased one. Looks pretty good on the video.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Ah... Thanks for that. My memory (pretty much) was up to scratch, I'm surprised the internet search (with the space in the middle) didn't find it!
hondated

Post by hondated »

Ok with the lever I have but if I wanted to buy one I would definitely buy this.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

seems to be best for right-handers...?

I shall be interested to see how folk get on with it.

FWIW a good proportion of pinched tubes seem to be pinched between the tyre bead and the rim, rather than pinched between the tyre lever and the tyre.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

I'll stick to just using my hands .... No extra weight to carry and I can't forget them.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
rjb

Post by rjb »

I would have preferred the hook to be on the other side of the opening so that you can see the bead as you are levering it on the rim. :wink:
Has anyone here used one? Can they cope with larger tyres 2" diameter ones for instance?
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Spoons
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

landsurfer wrote:I'll stick to just using my hands .... No extra weight to carry and I can't forget them.

I would agree but appreciate some tyres and some people can’t do this. I keep one lever to hook the bead out and then proceed by hand. Off and on. All the bike tyres at Chez HC can be done by hand.

@landsurfer has strong hands from too many games of poker. Mine from good, honest gardening.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Where’s the picture of bike and wheel out taken? Looks so familiar I feel I should know it. It’s got to be N Yorks Moors but I just can’t pinpoint it from my memory. Westerdale, Commondale?
Any Teesiders out there who can help me out?
Edit to add the picture
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Looks a more portable version of the Simson Tyre Mate

It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

It looks like it will only fit fairly skinny tyres, so no use for me and the few others who ride something fatter.

I use a VAR tyre fitting thing. Highly recommended and it has helped me on a number of occasions.

I realise that using such a tool will offend the purists who think hands must be strong (or warm) enough to do the job. Personally, I think tools like this should be well publicised as there are many cyclists who dread getting a puncture. Anything that can be done to reassure people who are worried about going out on their bikes should be encouraged.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

simonhill wrote:It looks like it will only fit fairly skinny tyres, so no use for me and the few others who ride something fatter.

I use a VAR tyre fitting thing. Highly recommended and it has helped me on a number of occasions.

Yes, it would be good if they made a version for fatter tyres. These days I have nothing like the hand strength required to do without levers, and have been known to pack my Simpson Tyre Mate in spite of its bulk. I used to have a VAR lever but it broke the first time I used it. :(
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

simonhill wrote:It looks like it will only fit fairly skinny tyres, so no use for me and the few others who ride something fatter.

I realise that using such a tool will offend the purists who think hands must be strong (or warm) enough to do the job. Personally, I think tools like this should be well publicised as there are many cyclists who dread getting a puncture. Anything that can be done to reassure people who are worried about going out on their bikes should be encouraged.

I am more worried about the fools crossing the road without watching, mending a tyre is all but a big problem unless you are in the middle of nowhere and late for a train (>>> be prepared!!).
If one knows to have some rims that are problematic with tyres (almost always due to a shallow rim well), I'd advise to pack a little bit of soap and two toe-straps. The key is to keep the bead in the center, where the rim well is deeper and the tyre can get more room, toe-straps are useful to keep the tyre right there and the soap will help you a lot in getting the tyre to slide in the last- very tight, portion.
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
rjb

Post by rjb »

Gattonero wrote:I'd advise to pack a little bit of soap and two toe-straps. The key is to keep the bead in the center, where the rim well is deeper and the tyre can get more room, toe-straps are useful to keep the tyre right there and the soap will help you a lot in getting the tyre to slide in the last- very tight, portion.

With tight tyres I have used a tyre lever at the tightest spot and with minimal sustained leverage then pushed the tyre into the centre of the well all the way around. This method then ensures you have the maximum slack available. And the soap is useful for cleaning your hands afterwards. :oops:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D