Great Bike !

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
hondated

Great Bike !

Post by hondated »

Hopefully you will find this interesting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbSALBbj8K4

So it poses the question in my mind , could you attach a motorbike battery to your bike and run indicators and lights off of it ?
Ok it'll be weighty but probably cheaper than a decent dynamo set up.
gaz

Re: Great Bike !

Post by gaz »

To answer your question a pedal cycle may be fitted with indicators subject to the same RVLR requirements as a moped. I believe any "motorcycle lamps" would need to be in addition to the relevant position lamps for a pedal cycle.

The question it poses in my mind is could you wire in one of these.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
rjb

Post by rjb »

gaz wrote:The question it poses in my mind is could you wire in one of these.

I want one . :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi
Indicators seem to an optional extra on most cars, why would I want them on a bike? :)
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

hondated wrote:could you attach a motorbike battery to your bike and run indicators and lights off of it ?
I did that back in the 1970s, before decent sealed lead acid batteries came along. I brazed a small framework onto the rear carrier to take a smallish motorcycle battery to run a set of dynamo lights. In those days the powerful bulbs were not yet available, but I was able to uprate the 0.1A rear bulb to a 0.2A as used in the front for a dynohub. Lights only because all my machines come with self cancelling indicators called hand signals - my motorcycle used them too. By about 1982 I had changed to a sealed lead acid battery and so was able to use the same setup on my club riding bike with the battery in a side pocket of the saddlebag.
Roadster

Post by Roadster »

tatanab wrote:all my machines come with self cancelling indicators called hand signals - my motorcycle used them too.

Turn signals using blinking lights are called "indicators", but turn signals using semaphore are called "trafficators".
hondated

Post by hondated »

Thanks varied and interesting responses.
tatanab was it a worthwhile exercise.
I just find this young fellas bike so interesting and his attitude refreshing in building the bike that suits his needs.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

hondated wrote:tatanab was it a worthwhile exercise.
It worked fine at the time when I wanted reliable commuting lights. Changing to a sealed lead acid meant that I could stow it in the saddle bag, but to charge a sealed lead acid nicely requires a better charger than your normal motor dealer type chargers. These days I would regard it as too expensive. Better to use modern lights with rechargeable AA batteries. As for indicators - I think a problem with fitting them to a pedal cycle is in putting them far enough apart. All the schemes I've seen over the years have them about 6 inches apart, so nobody can really tell "is that the left or the right that is feebly flashing?".
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

tatanab wrote:
hondated wrote:tatanab was it a worthwhile exercise.
It worked fine at the time when I wanted reliable commuting lights. Changing to a sealed lead acid meant that I could stow it in the saddle bag, but to charge a sealed lead acid nicely requires a better charger than your normal motor dealer type chargers. These days I would regard it as too expensive. Better to use modern lights with rechargeable AA batteries. As for indicators - I think a problem with fitting them to a pedal cycle is in putting them far enough apart. All the schemes I've seen over the years have them about 6 inches apart, so nobody can really tell "is that the left or the right that is feebly flashing?".

Just need arrow-shaped lights then!
hondated

Post by hondated »

FP is it just me or can I remember that very thing on bikes back in 50/60s. I am sure I wasn't dreaming !
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

hondated wrote:FP is it just me or can I remember that very thing on bikes back in 50/60s. I am sure I wasn't dreaming !

You could buy indicator sets for bikes in the late 50's/early 60's - I bought one 9as a 12 year old) but it didn'tm work very well. Took it along to the manufacturers (I think they were in the centre of Birmingham, just of Newhalll St - St Pauls' square maybe) and they swopped it for a set that did work, but I didn't use it for long. Passing fad, like the twist-grip 3-speed changer!
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

hondated wrote:FP is it just me or can I remember that very thing on bikes back in 50/60s. I am sure I wasn't dreaming !

I had a hand-me-down bike when I was about 8, think it was a Triumph, from an older cousin, in the early seventies (20" wheels, mudguards etc) that had both a brake light and indicators fitted. Can't remember either actually working.

I remember selling both indicators and stop lights for bikes in the mid 90's - didn't exactly sail out the door!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

The problem with hand (direction) signals is you can't always use them when you might want to, eg when moving slowly, when stopped, on hills etc
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
hondated

Post by hondated »

Thanks for confirming they did exist even though they weren't that efficient.