about to buy Dyno hub & light

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
BigFoz

about to buy Dyno hub & light

Post by BigFoz »

Thinking hard about the Spa SP-PV-8, on a LX17 32sp with the B&M IQ-X.

My commute is 22miles, first 10 across unlit moors in "proper dark", very few properties, no streetlights, then into South Side of Glasgow and up into town. Sick of having to charge batteries up every day and being marginal on lights (Currently running Lumicycle 1WLED & Lumicycle Halide for the dark part). Also worried as one of my Halides popped a bulb last year, and replacement bulbs are £80 - hence cobbling up the 1W LED to run as backup, and both system batteries (older NiMH and newer LIon) are now ageing fast and holding less charge. Can't afford to go dark on the way home as the darkest part of the journey falls at the end of the charge cycle - currently having to ride like a bandit to make it home, or get train in one direction (which adds up to a dyno hub system over a year!)

Anyone have experience of these? Need great penetration (I'm often hitting 35-40mph coming down off the moor and more sometimes) and utter reliability. Needless to say, in the West of Scotland / Glasgow, need to be reliably waterproof too :-)

https://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?show=3041
https://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?show=3470
Brucey

Re: about to buy Dyno hub & light

Post by Brucey »

IQ-X has a pretty good beam and is cleverly designed so that it can be mounted either way up. Some folk don't care for the crown bracket it comes with but that is easily changed for something else. I have not found multiple reports of a lack of weatherproofness or reliability as yet, and the examples that I know of are working OK. One thing that is a bit weird is if the light is left long enough (a time which seems to vary from example to example), the light doesn't come on immediately when you start to ride again.

The SP hub is OK but the bearings won't last for ever in all weather use; when the time comes to get them changed it is a ~£25 job but the wheel has to come to bits and the hub has to be sent away. Typically this might be required after about five years, plus or minus.

The exal rim is a very good rim for the money; the only quibble is that some folk report that tyres are often a tight fit.

FWIW I think that in your use a hub dynamo is almost a no-brainer. IME battery lights are (in various ways) something of a PITA by comparison. Ironically you still need to carry a battery light, just to use for fixing punctures etc if nothing else. Some folk carry back up battery lights but these can be small and stay in your bag.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

I recently built up the subject dynohub into an ExalXR2 rim with a B&M Lumotec Cyo IQ T Senso Plus (I think) front light and the small B&M secula plus seat stay attached rear light.

Very happy so far, the dynohub is a wee bit tiny and initially I thought the hub flanges were too narrow to support the rim adequately. It hasn't collapsed yet and hopefully will endure. I fitted it to a single speed which only really gets light urban use. I am no expert but the SP dynohub seems less draggy than the Shimano DH-3n80 - purely going on the rather simplistic 'spin it and see' test. However, they are both very good so far.

Good luck with your purchase, all the best, Simon
David Cox

Post by David Cox »

I've got a system like this and am very pleased with it and also a SON dynamo on a "work bike" But even so I'm not sure I'd rely on it at 30-40 miles an hour on unlit lanes. I also have a very bright Leyzne headlight giving a longer range beam when its very dark.
martinn

Post by martinn »

I bought a SP hub from spa last year, had it fitted to an h plus son rim. Very pleased, But it does flex abit.
As for lights I have two dynamo set ups, one with a B&M lumintec IQ cyo light it's not bad, but if I was buying again I would probably get the IQ-X from B&M instead this is very bright, with a good beam shape. However, my other front light is a secondhand Use exposure Revo light, now that is bright, but the beam shape is not great. I run my with a homemade cowl on top to modify the shape. You can also use this as a removable light as well. Once charged your lasts for ages.
Rear it's a red eye with the Revo and a secula with the B&M

Martin
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

martinn wrote:I bought a SP hub from spa last year, had it fitted to an h plus son rim. Very pleased, But it does flex abit.

Martin

I have 4 bikes with SP PV8 dyno hubs - the oldest has done in excess of 11000 miles and no problem. Another only slightly lesser mileage PV8 started groaning/creaking (I think it got borked going through a flood?) - it was out of the 2 year warranty - Ison replaced it for £25 inc postage for a refurb.

I don't understand the flex thing ^ martinn refers to? Personally I've not noticed it even with V brake pads set very close to rims? All wheels are self built with touring type rims - Velo Orange Raid or HPlusSon TB14 or Rigida Sputniks (either 32 or 36 hole) usual double butted DT or Sapim spokes.

It would be interesting to have more details regarding this?

This is not meant at all to be confrontational - interested to find out why our experiences seem to differ :)
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

David Cox wrote:I've got a system like this and am very pleased with it and also a SON dynamo on a "work bike" But even so I'm not sure I'd rely on it at 30-40 miles an hour on unlit lanes. I also have a very bright Leyzne headlight giving a longer range beam when its very dark.

I'd second that. A headlight adds range, off track illumination where you look, and is invaluable if a repair is required because your hands are free. I have ziptied or Velcroed headlights to my helmets for winter commuting.

Alternatively, if you take a battery torch, rubber Velcro mounts (twofish lock block and clones) allow it to be mounted as a makeshift front light.
PH

Post by PH »

I'm a fan of dynamo lighting, have two SONs and an Edlux and Supernova lights.
But - hitting 35-40mph coming down off the moor and more sometimes - and I'd want something more.
martinn

Post by martinn »

Hi deliquim

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=117674
Try the above link for my flexing issues.

As to brightness, on the Brevet Cymru last year, the chap I was riding with had an IQ-X I had a real case of light envy :) . I was running the b&m light then. No problems on any of the descents hiting 30+ in places, the IQ-X light was more than capable.
Having said that, the Revo light is very bright, brighter than the IQ-X, but it's not cheap.
You could always go for a hybrid set up, where you use the dynamo to charge your USB lights up?

Martin
mjr

Post by mjr »

alexnharvey wrote:
David Cox wrote:I've got a system like this and am very pleased with it and also a SON dynamo on a "work bike" But even so I'm not sure I'd rely on it at 30-40 miles an hour on unlit lanes. I also have a very bright Leyzne headlight giving a longer range beam when its very dark.

I'd second that. A headlight adds range, off track illumination where you look, and is invaluable if a repair is required because your hands are free. I have ziptied or Velcroed headlights to my helmets for winter commuting.

People strapping dazzling torches to their heads should be tasered because as soon as they look at another road user, they dazzle them. I am sick of having to stop because the cheapskates and clueless seem to think it's an acceptable substitute for good legal lights.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
BigFoz

Post by BigFoz »

I've got a small Blackburn Flea mounted on the helmet peak, which I have on flash in town, can run on solid as well and works fine for fixing p*nctures etc. Also run a flash / solid spare on the handlebars. Have a pic of current setup, but Photobucket no longer allows 3rd party access, so I pretty much don't use it anymore. Any suggestions for alternatives?
pwa

Post by pwa »

PH wrote:I'm a fan of dynamo lighting, have two SONs and an Edlux and Supernova lights.
But - hitting 35-40mph coming down off the moor and more sometimes - and I'd want something more.

Even car headlights on full beam sometimes leave you wishing for more, so I'd be content with something that seemed adequate at maybe 25mph or less. That covers most of my night cycling and just going a bit slower than in daylight on the odd fast descent isn't such a big problem that I'd have to chuck another hundred quid plus at it.
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

mjr wrote:
alexnharvey wrote:

People strapping dazzling torches to their heads should be tasered because as soon as they look at another road user, they dazzle them. I am sick of having to stop because the cheapskates and clueless seem to think it's an acceptable substitute for good legal lights.

For the moors I was thinking.
epa611

Post by epa611 »

We also live in the West of Scotland and I use the IQ-X with a Shimano XT dynamo. I don't get up to your speed, but the beam pattern in the dark on the cycle path out to Lochwinnoch gives me great confidence and I've had no issues for the nearly 2 years I've had it. All of our bikes have dynamo lighting and B&M lights and we've been lucky and not had any issues with any of them since we started using them about 10 years ago.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my STF-L09 using hovercraft full of eels.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Running the IQ-X and the SP hub, used for daily commuting on the grasshopper the light has brilliant beam pattern ,perfect for unlit commutes.
Last edited by NUKe on 2 Jan 2018, 12:38pm, edited 2 times in total.
NUKe