The top of Britain: we love Scotland!

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cyril Haearn

The top of Britain: we love Scotland!

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I do love Scotland, I have even cycled there, and walked in the Southern Uplands

But I am a bit wary of the Highlands, looking at the OS maps, huge wildernesses and slopes so steep that the contours merge

Wales is big enough for me, but the Scots invented porridge and Robbie Burns, he will be celebrated on St Dwynwens Day, 25.1

Why do you love Scotland?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
AMMoffat

Re: The top of Britain: we love Scotland!

Post by AMMoffat »

I love the highlands for the reasons you are wary of them: sparse population,
Cyril Haearn wrote: huge wildernesses and slopes so steep that the contours merge

though I can do without the midges. Other things, haggis, friendly folk and a feeling of home, but then I am a Scot :D
bogmyrtle

Post by bogmyrtle »

AMMoffat wrote:I love the highlands for the reasons you are wary of them: sparse population,
Cyril Haearn wrote: huge wildernesses and slopes so steep that the contours merge

though I can do without the midges. Other things, haggis, friendly folk and a feeling of home, but then I am a Scot :D

+1
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Kirkpatrick Macmillan invented the bicycle
The place names are good too:
Kirkcudbright, Kirkcaldy, Inversnaid, Loch Snizort
Even the potus likes Scotland, he built a golf course by Aberdeen before he was elected, but do the Scots like him?

Mind, I am glad I am not there today, 31.12 :wink:
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

Gorgeous capital city.
Wonderful border country.
Spectacular scenery almost anywhere.
Ecclefechan tarts :lol:
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

I live in Scotland in one of the scenic areas often mentioned on this forum. Would not want to live anywhere else. My family originated from both the far north and far south of Scotland and my wife has Outer isles connections. My brother lives in Shetland. I have travelled for business and holiday to all sorts of other weird places like Wales and we travelled by Lambretta on a circuitous route through England to Europe. ( Don’t want to insult the Welsh they were very good to us really). Midges I will admit can be a pain.
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

I should have mentioned that we loved the Isle of Mull too. :)
And (as an Englishman living here) I'd just like to know what constitutes Wales as being weird. :wink:
PH

Post by PH »

Cyril Haearn wrote:

Quiet roads and scenery.
Plus the relaxed access laws which allow off site camping.
But I am a bit wary of the Highlands, looking at the OS maps, huge wildernesses and slopes so steep that the contours merge

I don't think I've ridden anything is Scotland that's any tougher than the rides I've done in Wales.
dodger

Post by dodger »

It's the space, the scenery but mainly the people.
Not a Scot, but the ancestors were, until they were forced out to make a living.
Gone soft now, after generations of Southern easy life, but what a joy it would be to be resident - except for the midges and maybe the weather!
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

puzzle why do you get all the midges up there? I assume its a cold damp place do they like that type of climate?
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

sorry fausto copy I was just being a bit mischievous. I used to go to sell and buy at Wales Craft Council Trade Fairs. Met mostly friendly Welsh people there but the first year we heathens were stuck in an annex as far away as possible from the main event and there was definite hostility towards us. This was at Builth Wells agricultural showground tho' we stayed at Llandrindod where all the restaurants closed bar one for a major event with hundreds or perhaps even thousands of potential customers. The waitress who served us would not admit to not being able to understand my accent and simply did not bring anything until I contacted the manager. I am not complaining as we thought it was all a bit comical. An alternative view of Wales.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

PH wrote:Quiet roads and scenery.
Plus the relaxed access laws which allow off site camping.

There have been some problems with that. I think it's been highlighted on this forum - but too many of the 'wrong sort' of campers have caused some environmental problems - including the decimation of (if not pristine) then very pleasant habitats.
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

ambodach wrote:sorry fausto copy I was just being a bit mischievous. I used to go to sell and buy at Wales Craft Council Trade Fairs. Met mostly friendly Welsh people there but the first year we heathens were stuck in an annex as far away as possible from the main event and there was definite hostility towards us. This was at Builth Wells agricultural showground tho' we stayed at Llandrindod where all the restaurants closed bar one for a major event with hundreds or perhaps even thousands of potential customers. The waitress who served us would not admit to not being able to understand my accent and simply did not bring anything until I contacted the manager. I am not complaining as we thought it was all a bit comical. An alternative view of Wales.

I'm not sure Llandrindod Wells has changed much over the years, but I'll be able to tell you better later in the year as we're basing our Mayfest there, with around 20 cyclists attending. It has had a bit of a reputation as the new drug capital of Wales recently (allegedly :wink: ) so I hope the more genteel of our members will not be too alarmed. :roll:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Llandrindod is so quiet, like Scotland was a few decades ago, +1
It really should be the capital of Wales because it is "right at the centre" **

**slogan for Leicester which should be the capital of England
hondated

Post by hondated »

Cyril Haearn wrote:I do love Scotland, I have even cycled there, and walked in the Southern Uplands

Wales is big enough for me, but the Scots invented porridge and Robbie Burns, he will be celebrated on St Dwynwens Day, 25.1

Because I have toured the very often on my motorcycle.
I wont bore you with all the details but once enroute to Scotland I managed to blow myself up in a tent in Keswick. As a consequence of this I formed a friendship with a landlady in Fort William who thirty years later is still a family friend to myself and my wife.
So another reason to visit Scotland bi annually.
I love the ruggedness of the Highlands in comparison to the chocolate box scenery of the Lakes.
If only I could summon up the courage to island hop with my bicycle !