The top of Britain: we love Scotland!

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cyril Haearn

Re: The top of Britain: we love Scotland!

Post by Cyril Haearn »

What a shame the coastal ships no longer run, that must have been a great way to go UP to Scotland
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I love Scotland because Whenever ive been away over the Border I’m always pleased to get back. My spirits usually lift as I enter Cumbria. I like the people, scenery, and quiet roads. Some days I don’t like the weather but I’ve experienced similar weather all over GB and seen similar abroad when watching grand tours on the TV. A hill shepherd most of my life I can still find some of the Highlands barren and intimidating.
I do like going away to many parts of England but, apart from possibly somewhere between Lancaster and Ulverston, I don’t think I could return to live there.
As for Wales believe me guys I’ve tried honestly. I was in Usk and some of the valleys there last Spring and everything/one was lovely. Whenever I’m in the North I always seem to come across someone who rubs me up the wrong way. As for the herds I used to meet at International Sheep Dog Trials aaarggghh don’t get me started :lol: :lol:
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

You don’t need courage to island hop by bicycle. It is easier than by car as you are more flexible in accessing ferries. If you start in say Oban and just work your way north and return south via Skye then back through Mull to Oban. You do not want to be restricted to a very tight schedule. Flexibility is important.
Best to carry a tent and sleeping bag even if you do not intend to use them as you can be delayed by weather so an emergency shelter.
Warning to Oban parkers. A & B Council are going to charge for every space they possibly can and there will be time restrictions also. If you want to park in Oban check carefully.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I know Wales much better than Scotland but somehow Wales is stranger because the Welsh language is ubiquitous even in the lowlands, unlike Scottish Gaelic
I can read/understand Welsh a bit, mind

And Ireland is a bit like both, the main difference is the higher risk of meeting American and German tourists :wink:
That is good, one can experience strange cultures and languages without travelling far, +2
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

Reasons for moving to Dalbeattie,Dumfries and Galloway.Great network of quiet,roads.Good offroading 5mins away,essential for riding when the roads are icy.Few tourists.Lovely coast.Intricate landscapes,full of nooks and crannies."big country"riding in the galloway forest and moors.No midges to speak of.Friendly people.A wife who is immensely happy to be living here(most important).P.S. I,m not Scot,s born.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

cyclop wrote:Reasons for moving to Dalbeattie,Dumfries and Galloway.Great network of quiet,roads.Good offroading 5mins away,essential for riding when the roads are icy.Few tourists.Lovely coast.Intricate landscapes,full of nooks and crannies."big country"riding in the galloway forest and moors.No midges to speak of.Friendly people.A wife who is immensely happy to be living here(most important).P.S. I,m not Scot,s born.

Plus the names, Rhinns of Kells.. The Scottish Book Town, and the local dialects
Only minus - no train station?
hondated

Post by hondated »

ambodach wrote:You don’t need courage to island hop by bicycle. It is easier than by car as you are more flexible in accessing ferries. If you start in say Oban and just work your way north and return south via Skye then back through Mull to Oban. You do not want to be restricted to a very tight schedule. Flexibility is important.
Best to carry a tent and sleeping bag even if you do not intend to use them as you can be delayed by weather so an emergency shelter.
Warning to Oban parkers. A & B Council are going to charge for every space they possibly can and there will be time restrictions also. If you want to park in Oban check carefully.

Whether that was directed at me or not ambodach that is a really positive contribution to this thread. Some years ago I suggested on here that I would like to tour Scotland and someone posted a message offering a parking space for my van and if that person is reading this I have tried finding your name to let you know what happened but I could never find it so apologies.
I say your contribution is positive as its an idea that could achieve great results for comparatively little effort. I also like the idea of not having a time restraint so if there are days when it feels too hard to cycle I could take a rest day.
The thought of island hopping also appeals as I am forever wondering what they are actually like in reality rather than watching videos of others visiting them.
As for Scotland I discovered it far too late in my life and now I cannot get enough of it.
Username

Post by Username »

Cyril Haearn wrote:I do love Scotland, I have even cycled there, and walked in the Southern Uplands

But I am a bit wary of the Highlands, looking at the OS maps, huge wildernesses and slopes so steep that the contours merge

Wales is big enough for me, but the Scots invented porridge and Robbie Burns, he will be celebrated on St Dwynwens Day, 25.1

Why do you love Scotland?

Done a bit of motorcycle touring there in the past. Also hiked up Ben Nevis. It was one of the best times of my life, amazing landscape and I didnt even get that much rain. No really, I didnt get that much rain at all! .............Dont believe me then :D

The western coast and around Glen Coe was my fav. Ofcourse Loch Ness and Lomond are also memorable. Isle of Skye is also a must for anyone wanted to tour Scotland. If you ever get the chance, just go!

Ofcourse Wales is also nice, toured a lot of that too. But Scotland has more of what Wales has, and in bigger doses. You get to travel more between towns which is great, just make sure you dont let your fuel run as low as you would generally. The biggest downside to Scotland is the A9, at 99 miles it is where you will find Britain's longest speed trap so avoid that if you will be motoring.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

One hopes very much that the safety cameras are hidden!
Pastychomper

Post by Pastychomper »

North of Inverness at least, they're average speed cameras and very visible on large yellow frames, and they seem to be effective. I imagine they do reduce accidents, though in my limited experience most crunches on that route happen on change-over days in the summer when thousands of non-local drivers are trying to squeeze through at much less than the speed limit.

I do love the North Highlands for those close contours and the amazing landscapes that come with them, also for the space, the coos, the horses and the general friendliness of most of the people.
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

More and more children up there are learning Gaelic, Scotland may catch up with Wales eventually :) +1

Next Thursday is Burns Night, unfortunately I am a vegetarian so I will stick to porridge

25.1 is celebrated in Wales too - St Dwynwens Day :wink:
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

I too love Scotland, but the isles more. I still own a cottage at Voe which I'll move back to when the youngest finishes school.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Cyril Haearn wrote:More and more children up there are learning Gaelic, Scotland may catch up with Wales eventually :) +1

Next Thursday is Burns Night, unfortunately I am a vegetarian so I will stick to porridge

25.1 is celebrated in Wales too - St Dwynwens Day :wink:

Vegetarian Haggis? It’s not bad I buy it weeks later when it’s short dated and reduced in price.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

What a shame the coastal ships no longer run, that must have been a great way to go UP to Scotland

Three Coasters berthed at Inverness today, one tanker & 2 log boats.......doubtful they'd take passengers, you could always dress up as an illegal immigrant & some bleeding heart would let you on board (oooops, sorry!)

Fine place to live, not so many people & even fewer cars. They had the Strathpuffer 24 hour MTB marathon this weekend which saw a lot of hardy souls thrashing around the woodlands just North of Inverness, great stuff,

All the best, Simon
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

A couple of good books about Scotland by Ian Mitchell: Isles of the West, Isles of the North, sailing journies with lots of opinions and observations
I really must stowaway, I mean hitch a lift on a boat some time