Tempted by a more expensive bike ( than originally planned )

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
weewards

Tempted by a more expensive bike ( than originally planned )

Post by weewards »

Hi everyone, I have been looking at the BTWIN Triban 540 & rode around the store at Decathlon & I was just about to purchase it when the wife said what about this one the Ultra 900 CF 105 at twice the price!

It was a lot lighter and a fantastic bike but much more than I was expecting to pay.

Will I regret purchasing it or should I stick with the very capable Triban 540 bike bearing in mind that in my late 50’s I probably won’t be entering competitions but would appreciate it’s ability to help me get up those hills :D

Any advice greatly appreciated.
Last edited by Graham on 6 Jan 2018, 5:53pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title
Roadster

Re: Newbie seeking advice

Post by Roadster »

Do not be distracted by sweets displayed at the checkout. Stick to your original plan.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

if it were 2lbs lighter that will make you about 1% faster up the hills, (assuming that you and the bike are 200lbs total).

Ride and be happy!

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Brucey wrote:if it were 2lbs lighter that will make you about 1% faster up the hills, (assuming that you and the bike are 200lbs total).

Ride and be happy!

cheers

If you were 2lbs lighter (or emptied your pocket of non-essentials before a ride) this would have the same effect!

If you want help getting up the hills, look again at the gearing - if you haven't ridden for a while, you might find the 105 gearing just isn't low enough.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

Come on, your onto a winner here, your wife suggested a more expensive option???? Fill your boots.

Or consider this model which has a reputedly higher spec groupset, still quite light, good quality alloy frame for those scared of carbon, and a little cheaper:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/ultra-720-a ... 31274.html

Think it's only available in small or large though.

All the best, Simon
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

rmurphy195 wrote:...If you want help getting up the hills, look again at the gearing - if you haven't ridden for a while, you might find the 105 gearing just isn't low enough.

I would agree in general terms, but as the OP is comparing these two bikes they would appear to have identical gearing.

weewards wrote:Will I regret purchasing it or should I stick with the very capable Triban 540 bike bearing in mind that in my late 50’s I probably won’t be entering competitions but would appreciate it’s ability to help me get up those hills.

If you can afford it buy it. If you can’t don’t. I’ve yet to meet a cyclist who wished they had bought a cheaper bike.

Having said that, the 540 has provision for a pannier rack and mudguards, if you plan to ride in all weathers and carry a bit of stuff on the bike. However, its Tektro brakes are inferior to those on the 900. Whichever bike you choose, weewards, I hope you get plenty of enjoyment out of it.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Quote I have seen; 'Life is too short to ride **** bikes'. If you buy the one will you always have that nagging what if..... in the back of your mind.
When we young Dad had a Triumph but what he really wanted was the Dolomite.... and spent the next few years regretting and lusting after Dolomites.

I don't think the Triban is rubbish it is a good entry level bike, but you are being given a green light to buy a more expensive, lighter upgrade... go for it.... and enjoy.
Last edited by eileithyia on 5 Jan 2018, 12:05pm, edited 1 time in total.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

You could buy two different cheap bikes

I don't think paying much more is necessary, often cheaper bikes/other things are simpler, more robust
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Why not try them out and decide for yourself if it is worth the extra money?

Try some bikes at other shops, too. I'm certain that the Ultra is the better bike, and it gets good reviews, too.

What do you want to do with the bike?

Just buying a bike and getting out and riding it is a good way to return to cycling.

However, you may find in a few months, or a year or two that you want a different bike. Or that you want to try touring. Or mountain biking. In which case, it may be better to have saved the money for the next bike :D

On the other hand, if you get the one you like best, you may be more likely to ride it.

Only you can decide about things like that.

A few bits of advice, if you want them...

Get the shop to set it up for you, or do a fitting.
Don't start with the handlebars lower than the saddle.
Have a look at http://wheel-easy.org.uk/uploads/docume ... 02017a.pdf
If you want to ride on any cycle paths, you probably want the fattest tyres a road bike will take (25 or 28 mm wide, typically)
Keep an eye on your tyre pressure. The skinnier your tyres are, the more important that is.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
the snail

Post by the snail »

I think the riding position would sway my decision, the 540 looks fairly relaxed, the other one is too full-on racer for me. If I hadn't ridden a road bike before I think I'd play safe and get the 540. It looks good value, well specced for the money, and rack/mudguards mean it's a versatile bike. OTOH, the 900 looks great if that's the type of ride that suits you.
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

go with what you wanted originally.

I bought a second hand bike last year 15 year old MARIN with less than 500 miles on it that cost around 900 new. the guy got it as a retirement present then never used it. I see too many people pay expensive for a benefit they will never see like my neighbour who spend 500 quid 'upgrading' perfectly good wheels because someone said it would make him go faster.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

of course she might be testing you - "well if he can fork out that much money for a ****** bike then I deserve a XXXXXXXX, how can he say no? 8) " You already know hwo much she wants to spend on her self now :lol: snip it in the bud before you regret it
Roadster

Post by Roadster »

You didn't go looking for that more expensive carbon jobbie, did you? You hadn't even noticed that bauble until it was brought to your attention, nor had you even thought of buying a bike like that until it was suggested to you.
With respect, this is not the best way to choose a bicycle. You should do more research, decide on the type of bike best suited to your intended use and then look around for the best deal. Have a clear plan and stick to it.
SmilerGB

Post by SmilerGB »

Its all down to you at the end of the day, personnel I've had bikes from the lower end of the scale & they have been nothing but problems & a horrible ride.

I actually own a B'twin ultra 720 af now, the difference was unbelievable compared to the lower end bikes, better ride & reliability I've had no issues since purchasing it last year & have not ever regretted my decision to invest in a higher end bike. :D
The bicycle is a simple solution to some of the world's most complicated problems.
Phileas

Post by Phileas »

I see no reason to spend more. Stick to the original plan.