train fares...how much did you pay???

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
lauriematt

train fares...how much did you pay???

Post by lauriematt »

hi guys

just on www.trainline.co.uk checking train fares from shropshire to penzance & truro

to penzance its going to be £23.00

from thurso ( coming home ) its £120.00

does this seem reaonable to you???
is there anyway ( tho i dont have a saver-card ) of getting it cheaper???

***sorry i guys ive edited this post...i entered wrong destinations...im not with it AT ALL these last few days***
Last edited by lauriematt on 28 Jul 2008, 11:17am, edited 2 times in total.
WHAT DOESNT KILL YOU .... CAN ONLY MAKE YOU STRONGER
Tommo

Post by Tommo »

Cheaper to go to the further destination? That is hardly surprising, I can't make any sense of trains any more. The fee to Penzance seems pretty reasonable to me, although I wouldn't be in a hurry to pay more to go to Truro unless I desperately wanted to be exactly there. I think getting a few hundred miles on a train for £23 is as good as you will get and the earlier you book the cheaper it is so don't hang around too long.
Basil W Bloke

Post by Basil W Bloke »

A lot of the price differences depend on the popularity of the route and the time of day/week.

I can usually find cheap tickets as long as I'm pretty adapatable to when I need to travel.
Don't travel on Fridays or Sundays and just forget anything within a couple of days of a bank holiday.

It's simple economics, I'm afraid. If you wish to travel when everyone else does, it will cost you more.
We are normal and we want our freedom
We are normal and we dig Bert Weedon
PH

Post by PH »

As Basil says it's as much about when as where.
It sometimes pays to break the journey up and buy separate tickets. Scotrail don't seem to be offering any cheap tickets, so Edinburgh to Wick is around £50, then you can get Edinburgh to Birmingham or Crewe from £30, and last time I went from Brum to Shrewsbury it was around a tenner.
So a bit cheaper but nothing like the bargains that were about before the recent price restructuring. I paid £35 Derby - Wick a couple of years ago.
cranky1

Post by cranky1 »

I managed to get darlington - penzance for £25 and wick - hartlepool for £30, I purchased the tickets in march for travel in may. I suppose as your traveling a bit further south the cost would be a bit more. I can remember having to wait a bit until the cheap tickets for the return journy were released and I didnt buy on the internet however as i wanted to reserve a bike space and couldnt work out how to do this on line so i went to the mainline station and bought my tickets there and recieved lots of tickets for the bike as well.

good luck.
BlueMeldon

Post by BlueMeldon »

£36 from Warwick to Penzance on a saturday with changes at Banbury and Reading ......seemed reasonable.
Trainline only seemed to show 1 train a day from Thurso and Thurso to Warwick was something like £100+, so I'm planning an extra day to get somewhere like Invermess for a quicker/cheaper train.
Shaun
ericonabike

Post by ericonabike »

By booking as soon as the tickets became avail;able [12 weeks before travel] I bagged Peterborough to Thurso for £50 and Penzance to Birmingham for £36.50. Curiously, if I tried to add the last part of the journey [to/from Leicester] the price doubled! Book early, and try a few alternative routes seems to be the answer. I just checked and the prces now, for travel in two weeks time, are £120 and £90.
GARRYABBOT

Post by GARRYABBOT »

Three of us are doing the ride at the end of August and need to get back from JOG to Leighton Buzzard (Beds) by train. By splitting the trip (Wick to Inverness; Inverness to Glasgow: Glasgow to Leighton Buzzard ) we managed to get a fare of £36 each. Booking a through journey resulted in a cheapest fare of £106 each. Madness!
lauriematt

Post by lauriematt »

got my ticket today...13th Aug bout half 6 in the mornin down to Penzance

£31.00 with the bike reserved most of the way
WHAT DOESNT KILL YOU .... CAN ONLY MAKE YOU STRONGER
tridantri

Post by tridantri »

I went from Birmingham to Penzance then Thurso to Preston for a total of a little over £30.
boink

Post by boink »

I got back to Stoke on a tuesday night for 30 quid. The trick is to buy a ticket from Thurso to Glasgow and one from glasgow to wherever. Advance singles v. cheap. We had to change stations in Glasgow but just a 5 min walk really.

Mike
bikepacker

Re: train fares...how much did you pay???

Post by bikepacker »

lauriematt wrote:hi guys

just on www.trainline.co.uk checking train fares from shropshire to penzance & truro

to penzance its going to be £23.00

from thurso ( coming home ) its £120.00

does this seem reaonable to you???
is there anyway ( tho i dont have a saver-card ) of getting it cheaper???

***sorry i guys ive edited this post...i entered wrong destinations...im not with it AT ALL these last few days***

Try breaking down your journey to smaller sections. On a recent journey you would know. By buying tickets from Worcester to Cannock and Birmingham to Shrewsbury when going from home to Sbury, I saved myself £5 on this short journey.

Don't ask me why it is cheaper to go from Worc to Cannock than to Bham when you have to change at Bham, but it is. So I always get a ticket to Cannock when just going to Bham.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
Si

Post by Si »

Don't ask me why it is cheaper to go from Worc to Cannock than to Bham when you have to change at Bham, but it is.

I recently found this when booking to get me and bike to Lanivet- it was cheaper to get a ticket to St Austal despite the train stopping at Lanivet on the way there! :roll:
dodger

Post by dodger »

Si, that's probably because there's no station at Lanivet yet. In fact, no railway so perhaps they're charging you for the taxi as well!
Si

Post by Si »

D'h, did I say Lanivet? That's where I was last time, I meant Liskerd! :oops: