Changing to more recent Campag. shifters

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
PaulCS

Changing to more recent Campag. shifters

Post by PaulCS »

Hello. Last week I was asking for advice on Shimano Sora shifters and compatibility. Just to recap my Roberts Roughstuff has Campag 10 speed Veloce shifters which must be over ten years old and do not work very well. The rear mech is Ultegra RD6600 10 speed and the cassette is 8 speed. The chainset is a Sugino triple with a 15 year old triple front mech.
I may need to get the shifters renovated but is it possible to use more recent Campag 10 speed Veloce shifters orXenon 10 speed shifters?
Wiggle and Tredz are advertisng these at about £70. Perhaps it is just wishful thinking but worth asking.
De Sisti

Re: Changing to more recent Campag. shifters

Post by De Sisti »

They would work. However (in my opinion) if they were ever to become 'faulty' they wouldn't be repairable,
(or so I've read), whereas the ones you have (providing they are the Ultrashift type) are.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

All Campag' 10 speed right hand shifters will match your 8 speed Shimano rear derailleur.
It is the left shifter that has changed away from the multi-point to less "clicks". If your running a double crank then I would expect no problems. With your triple chainset then that needs more consideration.
Some Campag' right shifters have also altered the number of "clicks" that can be moved in "one" press. My Centaur right Ergo moves about 3 sprockets from small to large but going the other way will only move one sprocket per click.
My older Veloces move a good number of clicks both ways on the right Ergo.

As a note :- 11 speed Campag' match 9 speed Shimano mech's.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

'15 year old front mech'?

Your kit is outdated and trying to keep it alive can be an expensive frustration. I switched from Campag 10 triple to Shimano 10 triple a while ago.
I should coco.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

PaulCS wrote: ....is it possible to use more recent Campag 10 speed Veloce shifters orXenon 10 speed shifters?
Wiggle and Tredz are advertisng these at about £70. Perhaps it is just wishful thinking but worth asking.

They will work, but only briefly if they are the cheaper type.

These have plastic parts in the shifting mechanism that just wear out (in a year or two if you ride much) and cannot be replaced. To repair, you have to buy a new shifter body that is only a bit cheaper than a complete new pair of shifters.

These shifters can wear out even faster if you use random mechs (front or rear) with them; most older mechs have strong springs in them and the new (cheapo) shifters don't like it and clap out even faster than they do anyway.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PaulCS

Post by PaulCS »

Thanks everyone for your advice. I have decided to renew the cables and slightly change the routing on the bars. I will outwardly clean the shifters mecanism. By that I mean I will not disassemble the shifters but try to gently lubricate them.
Any advice on the best cables to use?
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

campagnolo cables to fit those shifters use slightly different nipple sizes vs shimano ones, so not every cable will fit. Current campag cable sets are slightly different too (eg in housing diameter I think), but are meant to be backwardly compatible with that vintage of shifter. There are plenty of aftermarket cables that will work in campag shifters too.

FWIW if you are in any doubt about the shifters themselves, I suggest that you install the new cables, secure them to the handlebars, and test ride the bike thoroughly before you bother to tape up the handlebars properly. The reason for this is that if you need to remove the shifters again, this is exactly the sort of thing that makes a mess of new bar tape.

Campag shifters of that era usually go 15-20k miles between needing new G springs and/or index wheels. Obviously if they are badly lubricated this may not apply. For example if not kept lubricated, the pivots on the upshift buttons often seize up; sweat gets into the bushings I think.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BFn

Post by BFn »

Brucey wrote:
PaulCS wrote: ....is it possible to use more recent Campag 10 speed Veloce shifters orXenon 10 speed shifters?

They will work, but only briefly if they are the cheaper type.

These have plastic parts in the shifting mechanism that just wear out (in a year or two if you ride much) and cannot be replaced. To repair, you have to buy a new shifter body that is only a bit cheaper than a complete new pair of shifters.

These shifters can wear out even faster if you use random mechs (front or rear) with them; most older mechs have strong springs in them and the new (cheapo) shifters don't like it and clap out even faster than they do anyway.

cheers

Could someone please advice if there is a combo of Campagnolo shifters and Shimano 8 sp derailleur/cassette that is likely to be more long-lasting?
I have recently replaced my Veloce 10 sp after a fairly short lifespan, because of the problem described above.
PeterBL

Post by PeterBL »

BFn wrote:Could someone please advice if there is a combo of Campagnolo shifters and Shimano 8 sp derailleur/cassette that is likely to be more long-lasting?
I have recently replaced my Veloce 10 sp after a fairly short lifespan, because of the problem described above.

You can exchange the mechanism with UltraShift: https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-mech ... anism.html. I’m the OP in that thread and the shifter is still perfect. But also notice that the PowerShift mechanism should have been improved with regards to durability according to the clever people in that thread.
BFn

Post by BFn »

PeterBL wrote:
BFn wrote:Could someone please advice if there is a combo of Campagnolo shifters and Shimano 8 sp derailleur/cassette that is likely to be more long-lasting?

You can exchange the mechanism with UltraShift: https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-mech ... anism.html. I’m the OP in that thread and the shifter is still perfect. But also notice that the PowerShift mechanism should have been improved with regards to durability according to the clever people in that thread.

Thank you for that thread. Very interesting and also a bit promising.