Lighting a Trangia

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
MartinBrice

Re: Lighting a Trangia

Post by MartinBrice »

Thanks, Crazydave789, is this what you meant?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263332305674

if it fits my mil burner, I'll use it in Spain in March.

or maybe one of these?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272706036248
roberts8

Post by roberts8 »

May be late but I dip a twig into the meths, light it then light the trangia.
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

MartinBrice wrote:Thanks, Crazydave789, is this what you meant?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263332305674

if it fits my mil burner, I'll use it in Spain in March.

or maybe one of these?

yep the top cross thingy - will fit but its tight so take a file to the outer cutout a little bit.

the lower one you can simmer with if you use a regular trangia simmer ring.
MartinBrice

Post by MartinBrice »

Thanks, I have ordered the lower of the two. Ordered it in early December, it's not arrived yet. It's coming from China.
When it gets here I'll let you know how it does the job.
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

MartinBrice wrote:Thanks, I have ordered the lower of the two. Ordered it in early December, it's not arrived yet. It's coming from China.
When it gets here I'll let you know how it does the job.

the proper trangia stand takes the mil burner too, but your pot sizes are restricted to bigger pots.

for me its more space over weight
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

On that shape of stoves, I've used the Bushbox one and it's very nice. Folds down smaller than a single CD 8) and it's nicely sturdy for the use.
What I like is the ability to use wood, meths burner or Esbit/Hexamine tablets; I think it's the most useful stove in respect of multi-fuel possibilities, plus can take different size of pots with only a few sizes not been covered.
The downside, is that it requires a windshield, but that can easily be done with kitchen foil, or a reusable one with the bototm of a large disposable roasting tray

https://www.bushcraft-essentials.com/en ... stove.html

Btw, price has gone up quite a bit! :?
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
MartinBrice

Post by MartinBrice »

Many thanks to all for your help, I ordered this

for £2.75 on December 7 and it arrived on January 24. It was supposed to arrive by January 22 so I contacted the seller who replied promptly, saying the festival (Christmas or the Chinese New Year) had delayed the post.
It's ideal - light, packs to almost nothing and strong enough to take a pan with a litre of water. I'll take it to Spain as I'll be areas with few cafes, and I can make decent coffee in the mornings - many albergues have no kitchen facilities for travellers.

Here are some pics with a tape measure to show its dimensions. The burner is a Swedish military one, so slightly larger than the standard Trangia issue.

So - recommended.
Penfold
Location: Black Country in the heart of England (Gods country)

Post by Penfold »

I would think this has been mentioned....But all I use is a gas cooker lighter from Tesco (and others) its like a ciggy lighter with a long plastic tube on so goes straight to the burner and your fingers are well away....Simples 8)
I keep my ideals, because in spite of everything,
I still believe that people are really good at heart.
- Anne Frank

There is a forgotten, nay almost forbidden word, which means more to me than any other. That word is England.
- Winston Churchill
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Penfold wrote:I would think this has been mentioned....But all I use is a gas cooker lighter from Tesco (and others) its like a ciggy lighter with a long plastic tube on so goes straight to the burner and your fingers are well away....Simples 8)

Yes but those are prone to fail I see this at home: sometimes they don't work.
While a flint-stone is 100% proof will work in any conditions that you can light the burner 8)
Penfold
Location: Black Country in the heart of England (Gods country)

Post by Penfold »

Only fail when you run out of gas.....Takes about 3 months for that to happen. Just buy new before you go on a trip or fill your old one....Simples :D
I keep my ideals, because in spite of everything,
I still believe that people are really good at heart.
- Anne Frank

There is a forgotten, nay almost forbidden word, which means more to me than any other. That word is England.
- Winston Churchill
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Penfold wrote:Only fail when you run out of gas.....Takes about 3 months for that to happen. Just buy new before you go on a trip or fill your old one....Simples :D

Nope.
They DO fail: I've 3 of them in my kitchen and they have gas in, yet no flame comes out. Why using something more complicated and with parts than can brake, when a simple (a real simple one) is already there? The spark of a lighter is not enough to light a meths burner.
For a ligther, it only takes some breeze, cold or damp to not work; a flint rod won't care and just make a spark regardless.
MartinBrice

Post by MartinBrice »

Hmm, I'm unsure how effective sparks from a striker would be when meths is cold, it often doesn't like to light in those circumstances. I'll take both the long ciggy lighter and the striker.
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

MartinBrice wrote:Hmm, I'm unsure how effective sparks from a striker would be when meths is cold, it often doesn't like to light in those circumstances. .

Yes, harder in cold, but one can use a small nalgene bottle to preheat it in ones pocket as walk to lunch :) . But I would always have some spare matches.
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
JakobW

Post by JakobW »

Thapir wrote: Ferrocium rods and a steel is a reliable method for lighting stuff but not user friendly with meths stoves IME.

I've found even my cheap ebay firesteels never need more than 2 or 3 strikes at most to get the Trangia going; the only downside is that you get small specks of the rod in the bottom of the burner.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Thapir wrote:Anyway if matches always work for you why not use it? Ferrocium rods and a steel is a reliable method for lighting stuff but not user friendly with meths stoves IME. BTW even "water and wind proof" matches can get ruined if too wet.

Also, when they work they're pretty smelly and smoky compared to "normal" ones IME.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...