BBC or CTC

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Re: BBC or CTC

Post by reohn2 »

Si wrote:Given that every other tv news report seems to have half of its time dedicated to vox pop interviews with random people in the street, i dont think you are missing anything by reading randon people on a forum!

And why does the newsteam sat in a cosy studio need a reporter stood outside in the piddling down rain reporting from in front 65 Railway Ridings,Chelsford,telling them and us about the daring rescue Fire fighters undertook getting a *cat out of a tree? :?

*insert your own heartstring tugging story.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Ben@Forest wrote:
Stradageek wrote:About 10yrs ago I resolved never to watch another TV news bulletin and have never looked back...

It seems therefore that (on Tea Shop at least) you are taking a lot of news or views from people who don't own TVs (looking at the Licencing thread!). Maybe you are also TV-free, but I'm not sure you're getting a better picture on here, the mainstream TV channels are better regulated for impartiality than the newspapers and commentators on here.

There some good comments and conversations but some start with or attract statements that are blatantly untrue - I can tell you any thread about forestry/tree management or the legal issues around either comes up with some real corkers!

you clearly are a child of the TV Age - No TV means one dont have a clue whats happening in the world! I think TV gives a rather shallow view of whats happening. You have the BBC news website, the various online newspapers and of course The Local ( I just add that one for you to snipe at :wink: ) some times gives ideas whats happening in various EU and other countries
Last edited by mercalia on 11 Jan 2018, 5:22pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

The tree needs to have been there long enough for the ivy growing on the floor to grow up the tree trunk.
It then takes it's time, perhaps growing a few inches a week. Maybe a foot a month.
Leave it to grow, and it'll wrap itself round the trunk base and there'll be fingers of it six or eight feet up.
Leave it a year, and you won't be able to pull it off manually as it'll be so thick.
Birch and willow is the best for ivy, oak is ok too. Ash is a bit too shiny and smooth for it, but it'll still do it.

Give it long enough, and it'll hold on so tight and thick that it'll stop normal growth of the tree. The tree will still grow, but not normally. The ivy will stop side shoots growing out of the tree so the tree becomes tall and thin, especially birch and oak. Willow grows too fast for ivy to catch up perhaps.

When the ivy gets a good hold and runs out of tree side shoots and branches, it branches out and builds up a big bushy head. Rain will saturate the head and make the tree top heavy. More rain, more growth, and a bit of wind, and the tree falls. Meanwhile it's weedy and weak, so the roots aren't strong.

As I say, come to the valley, and I'll show you. Ivy kills trees.
Mick F. Cornwall
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Each morning when i arrive at work my second task is to read the Headline, Opinion and Letter pages of the Telegraph and the Guardian. From this I take my snapshot of the day and ignore all tv or other news reports.
On those early start days i listen to the Shipping Forecast and the papers review on the Today programme ....

Thats enough news for me ...............

Then i log onto this forum and learn the Truth !!!
:lol:
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

landsurfer wrote:Each morning when i arrive at work my second task is to read the Headline, Opinion and Letter pages of the Telegraph and the Guardian. From this I take my snapshot of the day and ignore all tv or other news reports.
On those early start days i listen to the Shipping Forecast and the papers review on the Today programme ....

Thats enough news for me ...............

Then i log onto this forum and learn the Truth !!!
:lol:

Do you spend a lot of working time on these fora? :wink:

What is your first task?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
pwa

Post by pwa »

Stradageek wrote:About 10yrs ago I resolved never to watch another TV news bulletin and have never looked back. I am no longer assaulted by alarmist or trival or over-hyped 'stories' designed purely to increase viewer numbers or at worst to support an 'establishment' agenda.

How do I keep in touch with the world? I found that a quick scan of the BBC News web page would be enough to collect all the salient data whilst allowing me to avoid any headline that looked alarmist or trival or over-hyped.

However, I now find that just about all the website 'news' items have become alarmist or trival or over-hyped, so what do I do next?

A rhetorical question because today and for many prior weeks I have found it far preferable to log on and listen to you guys chatting about anything, everything or nothing in particular. Move over BBC, well done CTC

Keep it up

Interesting. I do think we can take in too much news if we are not careful. From all sources. And most news is bad news, because stuff going smoothly and according to plan is not news.

Congratulations in choosing the BBC News website as your initial source of non-TV news. At least the people who work for the BBC are trying to strike a balance, even if they don't always get it right. You just know that Trump would hate the BBC News, so it must be okay. If it seems to hype stories a bit, just use your internal filter, tut-tut to yourself and take what you need.

Sounds to me like you have your head screwed on and don't need advice, but you raise a good topic.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Here's some good news:- Trump has cancelled his visit to the UK in February :D
W H Auden
pwa

Post by pwa »

Mick F wrote:The tree needs to have been there long enough for the ivy growing on the floor to grow up the tree trunk.
It then takes it's time, perhaps growing a few inches a week. Maybe a foot a month.
Leave it to grow, and it'll wrap itself round the trunk base and there'll be fingers of it six or eight feet up.
Leave it a year, and you won't be able to pull it off manually as it'll be so thick.
Birch and willow is the best for ivy, oak is ok too. Ash is a bit too shiny and smooth for it, but it'll still do it.

Give it long enough, and it'll hold on so tight and thick that it'll stop normal growth of the tree. The tree will still grow, but not normally. The ivy will stop side shoots growing out of the tree so the tree becomes tall and thin, especially birch and oak. Willow grows too fast for ivy to catch up perhaps.

When the ivy gets a good hold and runs out of tree side shoots and branches, it branches out and builds up a big bushy head. Rain will saturate the head and make the tree top heavy. More rain, more growth, and a bit of wind, and the tree falls. Meanwhile it's weedy and weak, so the roots aren't strong.

As I say, come to the valley, and I'll show you. Ivy kills trees.

Ivy is a major source of nectar for bees at the end of the season, so keeping plenty in a woodland is vital. But it can damage tree health by taking over the canopy. So in one of my former roles, as a woodland manager, I tackled ivy each winter when the vegetation is reduced and I could see what I was doing. I cut the stems of the ivy close to the base of the trees, but only on the worst affected trees. Which in practice meant something like a fifth or less of all the trees. I allowed ivy to grow up the trees until it was getting close to the leaf zone. I also took it off very young trees. This left lots of ivy for the bees but kept the trees happy. And it was easy to do.

(Few topics go as wildly astray as this! Well done!)
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
reohn2 wrote:Here's some good news:- Trump has cancelled his visit to the UK in February :D

:D See we can agree :mrgreen:
Not date set for official state visit...........................never happen I reckon... :wink:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
reohn2 wrote:Here's some good news:- Trump has cancelled his visit to the UK in February :D

Not date set for official state visit...........................never happen I reckon... :wink:

We live in hope :wink:
W H Auden
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Do you spend a lot of working time on these fora? :wink:

What is your first task?

Coffee and bickkies ... :)
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
dodger

Post by dodger »

The trouble with "news" from any source is that it's been filtered endlessly by people we never see or know, based on what they think is worth broadcasting. (Or more to the point, what they think will grab the public's attention) The worst media organs also simply surf for news stories that somebody else has gathered or concocted and then reproduce them without any checks.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

reohn2 wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,

We live in hope :wink:

I think Trump's state visit has proven very very useful. It is been a very clear indication as to May's poor judgement, that she will rush in, make mistakes and then blindly ignore those errors of judgement and no nothing to correct them. Says a lot about Saint Theresa it does.

Ian