Electric vs high quality pedal

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
reohn2

Re: Electric vs high quality pedal

Post by reohn2 »

The utility cyclist wrote:You could get this as a low cost punt https://www.merlincycles.com/merlin-lon ... 85952.html (£295 here https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Merlin-Londo ... Sw0GJZnE5~ ) and still leaves you with enough money for a nice non electric. 40 mile range and hub drive, 8 hour charging.

Day in day out commuting needs a reliable vehicle, a £500 pedelec doesn't equate to reliability IMO.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Phileas wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:...I don't get that sort of speed in the winter...

Interesting, my speed doesn't change much from one season to the next (on an upright bike).

Mine changes alot due to studded tyres, snow and ice, warmer clothes, heavier boots, etc.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Phileas wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:...I don't get that sort of speed in the winter...

Interesting, my speed doesn't change much from one season to the next (on an upright bike).

Yeah - you don't switch vehicles. I go from a bike to a trike...

I am probably only a mile an hour or so slower in winter than summer on the trike (except when the studded tyres are on), but the raptobike is several mph faster (and only used in dry weather).
Of course this actually only amounts to a few minutes journey time...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

reohn2 wrote:
The utility cyclist wrote:You could get this as a low cost punt https://www.merlincycles.com/merlin-lon ... 85952.html (£295 here https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Merlin-Londo ... Sw0GJZnE5~ ) and still leaves you with enough money for a nice non electric. 40 mile range and hub drive, 8 hour charging.

Day in day out commuting needs a reliable vehicle, a £500 pedelec doesn't equate to reliability IMO.

£1000 actually and how do you know it isn't reliable, have you used one, you have a source of information on that model, one from a well known brand?
Please let's hear some facts not baseless waffle based on price!
I clearly said it was a punt to see if it might work out, the practicalities of the journey itself and the charging without hrowing a huge wedge of cash. Maybe even just for certain days if not feeling great but whatever, you basically said it's crap based on price alone.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

when considering purchase of an e-bike, it is as well to fret about the reputation of and guarantee applicable to the battery pack itself. Typical battery packs cost three or four hundred pounds to replace; you can often buy used e-bikes with dodgy batteries for peanuts, because replacing the batteries is so expensive. In fact many such bikes are virtually worthless, except as a source of spare parts for similar machines.

Poor quality battery packs can fail inside two years and good ones may go five or so before they deteriorate to a point of virtual unusability.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Greenbuilder

Post by Greenbuilder »

Hi Ryan
Can I recommend you look at a BMW e-bike. We bought one a year ago for about £1600 and have now put 1500 miles on it. It's a Bosch crank drive 700c hybrid. Rides much better than a hub motor MTB which we used to have. Range of at least 25 miles in hilly Cornwall. I think Ocean BMW still have some in their sale.
I also built a couple of Brompton Nano motor conversions for some friends and I would be happy to ride 15 not-very-hilly miles with one.
Tony
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

The utility cyclist wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

£1000 actually and how do you know it isn't reliable, have you used one, you have a source of information on that model, one from a well known brand?
Please let's hear some facts not baseless waffle based on price!
I clearly said it was a punt to see if it might work out, the practicalities of the journey itself and the charging without hrowing a huge wedge of cash. Maybe even just for certain days if not feeling great but whatever, you basically said it's crap based on price alone.

Check the link,it's a £500 s/hand ebike.
The OP is looking for reliability he can trust,he has £2.5k to spend,as Brucey say,a quality battery will be much better than the unknown quantity of a £500 s/hand one.
The OP is seeking advice,so perhaps some facts from you about the bike you've recommended wouldn't go amiss
FWIW we've no idea where the OP lives and Merlin cycles based in Leyland Lancs,and cleary state it's collect only.
You could be 100% right in your recommendation but weighing the odds in that way,isn't the best way to buy a bike unless you know your stuff.
It seems the OP doesn't,though I could be wrong,that's why I recommended he go to the Pedelecs forum where people do know the ropes.
You and I have had a difference of opinion in which I didn't say the Merlin bike was 'crap' merelymthatmit was cheap and cheap electrical doesn't usually mean solid and reliable.
If you don't mind I'd ask you to respond a little more adult and stop getting so personal,it's becoming a habit with you and there's no need for it .

To the OP,don't buy anything with suspension unless you have to as it just adds weigh won't add much comfort unless going off road,and is just something else to service,and most ebikes have cheap suspension fitted anyway.,
W H Auden
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

NB if you commute by bike/e-bike and don't use the train much you will do about 6000 miles per year. You will need something pretty decent and pretty reliable to withstand that kind of use.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Brucey wrote:NB if you commute by bike/e-bike and don't use the train much you will do about 6000 miles per year. You will need something pretty decent and pretty reliable to withstand that kind of use.

cheers

Or two things pretty reliable (so one can be having maintenance whichnputsbitnoff road for a couple of days)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Brucey wrote:NB if you commute by bike/e-bike and don't use the train much you will do about 6000 miles per year. You will need something pretty decent and pretty reliable to withstand that kind of use.

cheers

Agreed,the last thing anyone wants when commuting is breakdowns and punctures,so good reliable kit is the order of the day.
W H Auden