reclaim the word 'cyclist'

Vorpal

reclaim the word 'cyclist'

Post by Vorpal »

Something we've discussed on here in various forms the entire time I've been a member, 'What is a cyclist?'.

Here is an interesting take on the use of that word.

http://cycle-space.com/reclaiming-the-w ... rked-term/
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: reclaim the word 'cyclist'

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I remember the days when I rode motorcycles...................I was called a biker..............that was some what a derogatory word used by maybe people from the sixties to describe youth in leather clad, even though at the time I had no leather jacket.

Cyclist is OK, the media use other words tapped on.....................Bloody Cyclist used by some car drivers and I remember the days when any pedestrian would scowl at you for even pushing a bike along a pavement.

I admit there are words I add onto some groups who get paid for very little or are connected by association.
I am definitely at the bottom of the heap.
Branson is at the top and has had to change his stance on the words he uses to describe groups.
The difference is it wont affect my profile or pay at all :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

all the effete types of cycling and cyclists will be the ones with marked terms
I take umbrage at their use of effete which I take (in part) to differentiate between those who ride in daily clothes and those who dress for the job in hand, be it touring or racing. I also think they have their ideas back to front by saying
Just as we take the word “driver” to mean someone driving for transport
. If that were true we would not have motoring journalists waxing lyrical about a "driver's car" meaning one which provides some enjoyment/stimulus to the operator. For transport use I think most would say "motorist".

I do however think we should have a term for a cycling enthusiast, be that touring or racing or club riding or just enthusiast approach as distinguished from utility use only. We have terms for other activities- see my comment above about "driver", and we use walker and hiker to mean something different to pedestrian. That term should be "cyclist". We have the invented term of POB (meaning person on bike, or pedestrian on bike because that is the behaviour pattern), but we are virtually forbidden from using it by some on this forum who immediately scream "we are all cyclists". Why can the others not call themselves "utility cyclist".
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

pedal cyclist is not a tautology...

The cycle refers to the wheels, so a pedal cycle is different from a motor cycle...

Kind of wipes the rest of the article from my mind...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

I'm not sure what I am - I like cycling and walking, to get to my destination I use the bus, or train, or car, and sometimes I tow a caravan behing the car. The bike or my walking boots/trainers will go with me.

So - what am I?

I'm a caravanner sometimes.

I'm a motorist sometimes.

I'm a walker getting there by car, or train, sometimes.

I'm a cyclist ditto.

With the caravan I'm a (derogatoryword) caravanner.

In my sports car I'm a (derogatoryword) old (derogatoryword) (a common phrase I've found that is used in my direction when I have the roof off, perhaps I'm fair game)

When I'm walking I'm a walker - or maybe hiker - or maybe pedestrian (but never heard a derogatory word yet to describe it)

In my youth I was a motorbiker, and I cycled and walked as well.

Can anyone help with my identity crisis please? or am I simply well-rounded :wink:
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

I am a cyclist who rides a bike, so I can use the word 'cyclist' or 'bike' with equal effect or bicycle if I wish. It does not matter if motorcyclists also use 'bike', that is also their choice.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Yes............"On My Bike"...........but that is normally used when the other person/s understand you ride a M/cycle or pushbike :)

Cycle means something else altogether :mrgreen:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
pwa

Post by pwa »

I don't accept that the word "cyclist" has been generally restricted to lycra wearers on road bikes. I've never used it in that narrow way. And, more to the point, I hear people who are not themselves regular cyclists referring to people on bikes as "cyclists" regardless of their dress, the style of bike or their apparent mission. The article looks to me to be the work of someone trying to find something to write about.

Can I also point out that "biking" and "biker" are motorcycling, by convention, and using them for cycling creates confusion. A "bike" can be a motorcycle or a bicycle, depending on context.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I've commented on this many many times, but I'll repeat myself.

Mrs Mick F can ride a bike, and she does from time-to-time. I've asked her this question.
"Are you a cyclist?" Answer = "No".
"Ever, even when you're actually riding?" Answer = "No. You're a cyclist, and I'll never be."

Basically, I'm a cyclist. Full stop.
I don't need to be riding a bike to be a cyclist.
I can be running around in the garden, or climbing a tree, or kicking a ball, or even driving the car .................... I'm still a cyclist.
People know me as a cyclist.
That's what I am.
A cyclist.
Mick F. Cornwall
pwa

Post by pwa »

Mick F wrote:I've commented on this many many times, but I'll repeat myself.

Mrs Mick F can ride a bike, and she does from time-to-time. I've asked her this question.
"Are you a cyclist?" Answer = "No".
"Ever, even when you're actually riding?" Answer = "No. You're a cyclist, and I'll never be."

Basically, I'm a cyclist. Full stop.
I don't need to be riding a bike to be a cyclist.
I can be running around in the garden, or climbing a tree, or kicking a ball, or even driving the car .................... I'm still a cyclist.
People know me as a cyclist.
That's what I am.
A cyclist.

But you are other things as well. Husband, ivy cutter, diesel hater, and a million other things. It is just that much of the time, when you are in public view, you are cycling. So that's how people picture you.

I am a cyclist, a recreational walker, a couch potato, a motorist, a swimmer and an occasional tree climber. I'd hate it if I were given one short label.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, of course.
If I went for a swim, I'd be a swimmer I suppose .................. but I'd still be a cyclist.

Is Andy Murray a tennis player when he's riding a bike?
Is Tony Blackburn a Radio2 DJ when he's driving a car?
Mick F. Cornwall
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

My wife gets about by bike. She has done since she was 4, but there again she's Dutch so of course that's the case...

She has remarked that she never realised she was "a cyclist" until she came to live in the UK.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

I suppose we are talking about people who just ride a bike, cyclists and proper cyclists or in various degrees. People may be trying to distinguish between committed cycling enthusiast like most cycling club members and other who may ride to the shops or around the village. Of course they are all cyclists but some cycle for more than just practical purposes, they cycle for sport, enjoyment, freedom and even as a way of life.
ps today I cycled 16 miles to do some shopping, a few items, I could have walked to shops closer, gone by car or bus, but I chose to cycle, the shopping part was a secondary factor.
Last edited by Steady rider on 13 Jan 2018, 4:43pm, edited 1 time in total.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mick F wrote:Yes, of course.
If I went for a swim, I'd be a swimmer I suppose .................. but I'd still be a cyclist.

Is Andy Murray a tennis player when he's riding a bike?
Is Tony Blackburn a Radio2 DJ when he's driving a car?

The term cyclist refers to someone riding a bicycle or tricycle,(though technically they're tricyclists),so you are only a cyclist when not on the bike to those who know you.To those who don't know you you'd need to explain that you're a cyclist as that's your hobby/interest/enthusiasm otherwise you're just another person.
To insist on being termed as a cyclist and not a person is like an enthusiastic Tiddlewinks player insisting on being described as a Tiddlywinker to everyone they know.
Your definition of 'cyclist' and insistence on that definition is purely yours others don't share your enthusiasm.

The two examples you give are professionals at what they do and are still doing,if Tony Blackburn retires(I wish he would)he'd be known as a former disc jockey.
You aren't a professional cyclist but you are a cycle enthusiast and a cyclist when riding,yes people trying to descripe you may say "Mick,oh yeah I know him he's the cyclist from up the village" but it's only a parochial reference.

After reading the OP's link I thought it was just more of someone trying to define a term that's wide and all encompassing,and TBH found it to be more hair splitting without reason or necessity.

I once had a chat with a very intelligent lady(ex headmistress)who insisted that cycling was her 'religion' after some explanation of the meaning of the word religion* she was quite put out that I insisted on explaining it,she insisted cycling was her 'religion'.it wasn't/isn't her religion but it is her obsession,some people obsess without realising it.
Some people are bonkers :?

*religion:- belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power,especially a personal God or gods.
Last edited by reohn2 on 13 Jan 2018, 4:50pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

reohn2 wrote:After reading the OP's link I thought it was just more of someone trying to define a term that's wide and all encompassing,and TBH found it to be more hair splitting without reason or necessity.

I once had a chat with a very intelligent lady(ex headmistress)who insisted that cycling was her 'religion' after some explanation of the meaning of the word religion* she was quite put out that I insisted on explaining it,she insisted cycling was her 'religion'.it wasn't/isn't her religion but it is her obsession,some people obsess without realising it.
Some people are bonkers :?

*religion:- belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power,especially a personal God or gods.

For the term, I don't think it is a problem that Mick is a cyclist when he's not a bike. The problem is that the term is currently owned by people who are cyclists when they aren't on bikes. And it needs to include Mrs. Mick F, as well as Mick F.

As for religion, I don't see why religion has to include gods, or any higher power. I think it could be adherence to any spiritual philosophy. Not all Buddhists believe in gods, for example. If that spiritual philosophy includes cycling, why not?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom