Thorn resistant tyres?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Scunnered

Re: Thorn resistant tyres?

Post by Scunnered »

Another puncture! :evil:
I don't usually get many punctures, but this winter has not been good. The previous puncture left a bit of thorn embedded in the tyre which required pliers to remove. It was dark and I didn't have pliers with me, so no point putting in a new tube, I ended up walking home, fortunately just a few miles.
I considered getting Schwalbe Marathons + Slime tubes, I have decided to bite the bullet and try tubeless.
Keithp

Post by Keithp »

I have had success with putting “Slime” the puncture sealant in the tube. Have had a thorn in tyre and not defated using this product. Have now put puncture resistant tyres with a kevlar centre on bike with added slime in tube as well. I hate punctures, especially when its raining ! No defated tyres since. Patches on my inner tube did fail with “slime” in the tube. I always carry a spare inner tube as well.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Scunnered wrote:The previous puncture left a bit of thorn embedded in the tyre which required pliers to remove. It was dark and I didn't have pliers with me,

I've added a pair of small poundshop-type pliers to my puncture kit after spending 15 or 20 minutes getting two thorns out of my tyre with the aid of a SAK. I'll remove them after the hedge flailing season is over and the roads have cleared.
The first had a lump of attached twig, but it didn't seem to be leaking much so I just left it there for the next couple of weeks, the twig having worn off by the time I got home (needed pumping about once in 2 or 3 days). Then my tyre went flat, and pumping only lasted long enough to put the pump away and get back on the bike. It turned out to be a new thorn that wasn't self-sealing :(

Those who used slime tubes, or tubeless tyres, should be warned that some considerable time may be required to de-sharp a tyre before you can fit a (new) inner tube, should you get a puncture or tyre cut that the sealant fails to deal with. Not only have you to deal with the cause of the current puncture, but also with the causes of all the previous punctures that did seal. If you don't, one spare tube is unlikely to be enough.
Scunnered

Post by Scunnered »

andrew_s wrote:Those who used slime tubes, or tubeless tyres, should be warned that some considerable time may be required to de-sharp a tyre before you can fit a (new) inner tube, should you get a puncture or tyre cut that the sealant fails to deal with. Not only have you to deal with the cause of the current puncture, but also with the causes of all the previous punctures that did seal. If you don't, one spare tube is unlikely to be enough.

Fair point, so probably a good idea to remove the tyres every few months to inspect for sharps and replace sealant. More work, but work in the garage is preferable to the road side.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

same goes for when you fit a tube inside a tubeless tyre. Only it is almost invariably x10 more difficult to get the tyre on and off as well.

BTW to remove a thorn, a 2mm allen key will usually push it out from the inside. Broken off flush is actually easier if you are doing it this way, so once you have found a thorn, try pushing it out without breaking it by all means, but if it breaks it is no big deal; just don't lose track of where it is in the tyre, exactly. :wink:

If you want to carry a simple tool for pushing unbroken thorns out with, there is a lot to be said for carrying a thimble (sewing variety). It will be small and light enough that you can leave it in your kit all year round.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Scunnered

Converted to tubeless

Post by Scunnered »

I finally decided to try tubeless, but with a twist - what to do with my collection of part worn tyres? Could any of them be mounted tubeless?

I decided not to take any chances with the front and bought a 'proper' tubeless tyre (Specialized Roubaix Pro 2Bliss), but for the rear I decided to try a lightly used Vittoria Voyager Hyper. Both mounted on tubeless rims without any problems - I inflated with a tube first to seat one bead, removed the tube and seated the other bead with a few vigorous strokes of a 'track' pump, then added sealant and re-inflated. The Roubaix sealed immediately, the Voyager had to be left overnight to fully seal. These are both largish tyres, so inflated to ~50psi.

First ride at the w/e - no problems (altho' I'm carrying a tube just in case)
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I carry a mini Leatherman. I unfolds into pliers, pocket knife, file, bottle opener, etc. All things I have found useful on occasion, including removing flints and thorns. 8)
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Which model Leatherman? I've been thinking of getting one for a while but there are so many different models. I carry a swiss army knife but it doesn't have pliers.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

LollyKat wrote:Which model Leatherman? I've been thinking of getting one for a while but there are so many different models. I carry a swiss army knife but it doesn't have pliers.

They don't actually make mine anymore. The closest is the Juice C2. It has most of the same things on it. It is slightly longer folded, and has a different arrangment. The bottle opener doesn't appear to be quite as good (mine is the width of the handle, so it has two hooks, rather than one). On the other hand, it has a phillips head, which mine doesn't.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Roadster

Post by Roadster »

LollyKat wrote:Which model Leatherman?

With meaningful pliers, the Rev is the pared-down economy version:-
http://www.leatherman.co.uk/rev/423.html
Street price is ~£35 or possibly less if you shop around.
chris_suffolk

Post by chris_suffolk »

LollyKat wrote:Which model Leatherman? I've been thinking of getting one for a while but there are so many different models. I carry a swiss army knife but it doesn't have pliers.

Some Swiss Army Knives have pliers, and whilst not a real replacement for pliers in many instances, would be perfectly good enough for thorns and the like. Wouldn't be without mine.
John_S

Post by John_S »

Hi All,

I've just been reading tho and thanks to everyone above for the tips on getting thorns out of tyres.

I had a thorn go straight through my Schwalbe Marathon tyres just over a week or so ago now and the thorn was a bit of a pain to get out but following this it's given me a few ideas about having the right tool for the job.

Thanks,

John
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Vorpal wrote:

They don't actually make mine anymore. The closest is the Juice C2.....

Roadster wrote:With meaningful pliers, the Rev is the pared-down economy version...

Thanks - I have a birthday coming up and requests for present ideas :D .