Modifying a 2015 Croix de Fer for touring

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
greencelery

Modifying a 2015 Croix de Fer for touring

Post by greencelery »

Hello, I hope someone can help - I have a 2015 Genesis Croix de Fer which has been excellent so far for both day rides and longer tours. However, I'm planning a bigger trip (think year long escape) and with the expectation of a slightly heavier load than usual was hoping to modify my current set up to give me some lower gears for long/steep climbs.

Currently I have the following components:
Shifters Shimano Tiagra ST-4600
Rear derailleur Shimano Tiagra RD-4601-GS
Front derailleur Shimano Tiagra FD-4600
Chainset Shimano FC-R565 50/34T
Cassette Shimano CS-HG62 11-32T 10 Speed

One option would be to change the entire groupset to a triple. I was thinking Shimano 4703, https://www.bike24.com/p2137674.html, which comes in at around 350€ and gives a lowest gear ratio of 30/32 instead of my current 34/32....

But I'm sure that there must be a more conservative option rather than an entire replacement, but I'm a little bit lost as to my options. Could I just switch the rear cassette to one with more teeth at the lower end (34T+) (and presumably the rear derailleur too), will I have to change my shifter?

Is switching the entire groupset worth it? What other options do I have?

Thanks!
Brucey

Re: Modifying a 2015 Croix de Fer for touring

Post by Brucey »

an inexpensive option is fit a super-compact double chainset. You can have 24T inside chainring and a 44 or 46T outer, and this will give a lot more low gears for climbing.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

If I were embarking on a year on the road the last thing I'd want to be worried about is if the kit is upto the job and if I gearing to to what I want it too.
Using something day in day out has to work without compromise and I recommend you buy a triple square taper chainset such as the Spa' s own that will handle small rings such as a 24/34/44 or 46t,with a Shimano 115mm UN54 BB,and operated with a downtube or bar end lever,similarly so for the rear mech to,replacing the STI's with a pair of Tektro brake levers of the correct cable pull which should be RL340,will save you a packet not be as vulnerable as STI's in a fall.
I would also swap the cassette for a 10sp 11/34 Or 11/36 If your current rear mech will handle the 36t biggest sprocket.
The most important things are wheels,you need to have full confidence in the wheels your riding on so they need to be bombproof,and don't scrimp on racks Tubes steel are the best.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Brucey wrote:an inexpensive option is fit a super-compact double chainset. You can have 24T inside chainring and a 44 or 46T outer, and this will give a lot more low gears for climbing.

For example: https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s109p33 ... cral-Rings.
You'll also want a 115 mm UN54 or UN55 square taper bottom bracket, but they are generally a lot longer lasting than the one you've got.

There are super-compact doubles for your existing BB, but they cost (eg Sugino OX601)
greencelery

Post by greencelery »

Thanks all, I'll take a look at your suggestions and see if I come back with any more questions!
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

I use my CdF for touring. With a 42/26 chainset and 11-36 (10 speed) cassette, it happily got me and four panniers (loaded with camping/cooking gear) up over the bealach na ba and a bunch of other pretty hilly roads in NW Scotland the last couple of years. I use Tubus racks front and rear and they seem to handle the load really well, the bike has been nice and stable. I use the wheels it came with (alex rims 32 spokes) with 38c Vittoria Hypers. No problems so far. I've also found just using the "big" ring fine for winter riding with my local club.
PeterBL

Post by PeterBL »

gloomyandy wrote:I use my CdF for touring. With a 42/26 chainset and 11-36 (10 speed) cassette, it happily got me and four panniers (loaded with camping/cooking gear) up over the bealach na ba and a bunch of other pretty hilly roads in NW Scotland the last couple of years. I use Tubus racks front and rear and they seem to handle the load really well, the bike has been nice and stable. I use the wheels it came with (alex rims 32 spokes) with 38c Vittoria Hypers. No problems so far. I've also found just using the "big" ring fine for winter riding with my local club.

What model is your chainset?
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

PeterBL wrote:What model is your chainset?

I deliberately didn't post details of my setup so as not to confuse things in this thread. My post was more about the ratios that I use and how they work. My setup uses a mixture of SRAM MTB and road components. So for instance I use a SRAM X5 chainset.
Last edited by gloomyandy on 16 Jan 2018, 7:43pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeterBL

Post by PeterBL »

gloomyandy wrote:
PeterBL wrote:What model is your chainset?

I deliberately didn't post details of my setup so as not to confuse things in this thread. My post was more about the ratios that I use and how they work. My setup uses a mixture of SRAM MTB and road components. So for instance I use a SRAM X5 chainset.

Thank you. MTB doubles are a nice starting point for a trekking double with a small inner ring and outboard bearings, but often you have to change rings to get there, which I presume you did as well.
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

I did change the inner ring, but I didn't really have to. The X5 comes with 42/28 as a standard configuration. I happened to have a 26 which fits, so put that on.
IanH

Post by IanH »

Dear All,
I have a 2017 Croix de Fer 20 with the standard Tiagra 4700 34/50 chainset and 34 teeth rear cassette. When I asked about lower gearing in my LBS, I was advised there was no facility to fit smaller chain rings, although a 36 tooth rear cassette could be fitted. They advised that I could upgrade the wheels/tyres and fit a carbon fork. I'm not planning a tour, and I'm torn between aggressive hill-climbing on the standard setup and an option to slow down and admire the view. I wonder if anybody can add some useful info as ammunition before I return to my LBS?
Regards, and thanks for your time!
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

I think I might be looking for a new LBS. In fairness what they have said is true if you follow the Shimano book of rules (which will doubtless say only use Shimano components designed to work together), but a really good LBS will have people that can think outside of the book and come up with a solution. I'd be looking at something like the setup the 531Colin suggested above.

Having said that, 34 to 34 is a relatively low gear if you are not touring, so maybe you need to consider how much you want/need lower gearing? What part of the country are you in, what sort of roads do you ride? Perhaps just going to the 36 sprocket will be enough?
IanH

Post by IanH »

Hi gloomyandy. Thanks for yr response. I think you're right about my LBS, but they've given me an excellent service for many years.
I'm torn about the gears. 34/34 is indeed quite low and there aren't many hills that I can't manage. I live in Wellington, Somerset, so I go south into the Blackdown Hills, north onto Exmoor, the Brendon Hills and the Quantocks. It's great cycling country with NCN routes, lanes, towpaths, bridleways, etc. That just leaves the Somerset Levels if I go east. (I also have other bikes!)
So the TdF will be my keep-fit bike, maybe with a 36 sprocket. My NHS health check has advised me to raise my heart rate! Anyway that's today's plan...
greencelery

Post by greencelery »

Thanks all! In the end I went for a double from spa cycles with 44/28 https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s109p33 ... cral-Rings and a new 115 mm UN55 square taper bottom bracket. It's time for the cassette to be switched too, so I'll replace that with a 10 sp 11-34 to sneak in an extra couple of teeth that my derailleur allows :)
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

greencelery wrote:Thanks all! In the end I went for a double from spa cycles with 44/28 https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s109p33 ... cral-Rings and a new 115 mm UN55 square taper bottom bracket. It's time for the cassette to be switched too, so I'll replace that with a 10 sp 11-34 to sneak in an extra couple of teeth that my derailleur allows :)

Please do let us (me) know how you get on with this set-up. I have a Croix de Fer (2014) which is great for day leisure rides around where I live but I will face similar needs when I go touring (camping/laden) and have been wondering about mods to get a granny gear or even considering changing bike.

Ian