Braking training for novices

For discussions within the Cycle Training profession.
Vorpal

Re: Braking training for novices

Post by Vorpal »

pjclinch wrote:* "hold your hands out with the palms facing down... okay, your right hand is the one with the thumb on the left"

The left hand makes an 'L'.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

And we need to bear in mind that teaching is progressive and just because someone might start with back brake doesn't mean they'll finish there.

This is Cycling Scotland's summary video on L1 Braking. I extend this by putting more emphasis on keeping weight back and building up speed over the session so by the end they're stopping from realistic speeds. One lad managed a pretty impressive stoppie one year ("What didn't you do Millen?"; "I didn't push my weight back enough"), but nobody's been over the bars thanks to working it up from slow to fast over several runs.

[youtube]iiCmdVd0XjQ[/youtube]

I alter the circle stops one by adding more cones and shouting out a number which is the number of cones I want them to slow down (but not stop) over. This (hopefully) get people in to the idea that brakes aren't binary off/max affairs.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
drossall

Post by drossall »

I hadn't seen that, but as it happens I did the circle thing last year off my own bat. I knew that we would be riding in groups, and I wanted something that required the participants to stop whilst being aware of other riders, and therefore in a measured way.

This year, the trainer did a sort of tag game (on a field), which again required riding, trying to avoid the people who were "It", and avoiding collisions, all at the same time.
bertgrower

Post by bertgrower »

I have come accross quite few adults who do not know their left from their right.

I ask them to give me their left hand and see how long they take to respond. If there is problem I concenrate on that to begin with they soon get it.. My girl friend was a good example of this.
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

I don't train kids, but I train adults in braking as part of the L1-3 MIAS sylabus, both in and off road braking techniques. I don't know how it works in the Scouts, but I'd be checking the competence of those under my supervision before leading a ride. My insurance insist upon it.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
drossall

Post by drossall »

We have Scout insurance. As I mentioned, I did quite long sessions before I led rides in Scotland. The later event that I mentioned was more by way of a sequence of training-oriented activities, so it was different.