Do you like / love driving a motor vehicle? Vote now please!

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

Do you love driving?

I do not drive any more
5%
I have never driven
6%
Yes, I love it as much as cycling
21%
Yes, it has to be done
9%
Sometimes
36%
In theory yes, in practice no
10%
In theory no, in practice yes
1%
I hate driving but have to do it
11%

Total votes: 80

mjr

Re: Do you like / love driving a motor vehicle?

Post by mjr »

pwa wrote:The reality is that most couples these days have both partners working, and their journeys to work are often in different directions.

I'm pretty sure that the census data suggests that isn't true. It's probably still common enough to be a significant obstacle to reform, but not "most" so let's not make it a bigger problem than it is.

pwa wrote:Aim for something that can be achieved. If you go out and tell Mr. or Ms Average that you dream of a future without cars their eyes will glaze over and they will put you in the same pigeon hole as the folk who promote Hare Krishna. But tell them that you think they could have a better life if they used the car less and walked or cycled more, and you might see some interest.

What poverty of ambition! I say let's aim for what we actually want, but that doesn't mean we should tell Mx Average it the first time we meet them - let's tell them what we think they'll support at first, like the suggestion of above.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

At least a third of car commutes were a comfortably cycleable distance (under 5 miles) in the 2011 census. I think even under 3 miles is close to a third.

Cars aren't going to go anywhere, much like they haven't gone anywhere in the Netherlands, but we use them far too much.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

landsurfer wrote:Every month i have a meeting in Inverness.
Could fly, but drive.
I take my kayak sometimes, my fishing gear another, and often my bike. In good weather i camp for the night near Perth rather than use a hotel.. in winter snow the views are amazing ... and it's only 7 hours drive each way ... positively local ... :lol:

Madness! Obviously driving far too far is far too attractive :(
Don't you work in the railway industry?
Get the Caledonian Sleeper and save everything: cash time resources nerves!
zzzzzzz :D
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

pete75 wrote:Britain isn't that high up the world league table for vehicle ownership https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... per_capita particularly in comparison with other so called advanced nations. High ownership appears more related to the wealth of a nation rather than how good it's public transport is. For example Germany, Switzerland and the Netherlands have much better public transport networks than the UK. All have higher vehicle ownership. All are wealthier. It seems that if people can afford to buy cars they will.

First of all, the biggest factors are history of car ownership, capitalist economic development (rather than wealth), and population density.

Second of all, that table is rather misleading, although only a typically statistical way. They show you the average without the distribution.

In the UK, there is a big gap between households with a median or higher income and low-income households, where more than half do not have a car. The UK, however, has many households with two or more cars, and the poor are disproportionately disadvantaged by not having cars. They have more difficulty accessing necessary services, and spend more time commuting and travelling to and from services than people with cars. In addtion 2/3rds of poor job seekers do not have a car, which limits their access to jobs. Although some households int he UK choose not to have cars, the majority are car-less households are in transport poverty. Since 2002 there have been more households with access to two or more cars/vans than without any access at all. (see figure 13 of https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulation ... ailability)

In the Netherlands, which holds a very near place on the linked table, fewer households have two or more cars, and those that have no cars, are less liekly to experience transport poverty.

Here's a study about the economics of car ownership across several countries. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 1214602429

Here's a paper about transport poverty http://eprints.whiterose.ac.uk/94663/1/ ... lectic.pdf
Some statistics about transport poverty http://www.poverty.org.uk/75/index.shtml

And just for a bit of fun, a study about the role of the bicycle in a transport poverty... https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Ka ... rlands.pdf
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
landsurfer wrote:Every month i have a meeting in Inverness.
Could fly, but drive.
I take my kayak sometimes, my fishing gear another, and often my bike. In good weather i camp for the night near Perth rather than use a hotel.. in winter snow the views are amazing ... and it's only 7 hours drive each way ... positively local ... :lol:

Madness! Obviously driving far too far is far too attractive :(
Don't you work in the railway industry?
Get the Caledonian Sleeper and save everything: cash time resources nerves!
zzzzzzz :D

My 16 foot Wilderness Systems Sea Kayak does not fit in the Caledonian Sleeper i'm afraid ... :)
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Then you could paddle up there, simples :wink:
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 24 Dec 2020, 4:20pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Thread resurrection alert

Just been driving again, 1050 km (three trips), minusplus. Glad I shall not have to drive again for a while :wink:
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

I quite like the drive to and from work at present. It’s taking 10 minutes, it used to take about 30 before all this kicked off.
carpetcleaner

Post by carpetcleaner »

Marcus Aurelius wrote:I quite like the drive to and from work at present. It’s taking 10 minutes, it used to take about 30 before all this kicked off.

Why didn't you cycle to work when traffic was heavy?
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

carpetcleaner wrote:
Marcus Aurelius wrote:I quite like the drive to and from work at present. It’s taking 10 minutes, it used to take about 30 before all this kicked off.

Why didn't you cycle to work when traffic was heavy?

I did / still do. The main reason being the traffic made cycling quicker than driving. However I have to start at 6 am in the morning on every other ( 12 hour ) shift rotation, so cycling in can be a pain in the buttock on those shifts. Now that the return journey home isn’t as jammed up, the car seems a better option.
Cyril Haearn

Re: Do you like / love driving a motor vehicle? Vote now please!

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Thread resurrection alert!

I upgraded my status* and reopened the poll, vote now please!

* Used to be a very experienced driver. Given up now, maybe permanently :wink:
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

A previously-resurrected thread being re-resurrected.

The Third Coming :D
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

With good reason, to entertain and inform, even educate maybe :wink:

Other peoples circumstances may have changed too, besides we have many new members, and of course more votes=representative sample
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Are you the BBC perhaps?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Yes, except that I am a noble unpaid volunteer, not funded by a tax on the innocent €$€¥ :wink:

Bet there are other threads worth resurrecting, it would be good if others dug some up
No-one is obliged to read them of course