Cycle magazine not in plastic please.

BobSweet

Cycle magazine not in plastic please.

Post by BobSweet »

Yesterday I binned the plastic bag that cycle magazine comes inside. The circulation is 51,000, we each get six magazines a year, that is 306,000 plastic bags in the bin, nearly a third of a million every year. Time for a change to paper envelopes I think.
Cyril Haearn

Re: Cycle magazine not in plastic please.

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Or no envelopes, just an address sticker on the mag
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Or no envelopes, just an address sticker on the mag

Even better - then all the advertising rubbish can be discarded from the post office floor
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

When will be the last, the very last [P Larkin]... printed mag?

It could be mailed as a pdf, anyone who wanted could print it (or just the interesting bits)

How many members do not have e-mail? I bet there are some!
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

All the subscriptions I have are electronic these days.
Can't be bothered with paper magazines, apart from all the space they need the annual clear out is just depressing for the amount of waste it generates.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Don't bin them. Put them in the larger supermarkets' plastic bag recycling bins.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Cyril Haearn wrote:When will be the last, the very last [P Larkin]... printed mag?

It could be mailed as a pdf, anyone who wanted could print it (or just the interesting bits)

How many members do not have e-mail? I bet there are some!

A newspaper article tells us that people are beginning to reject e-readers and rediscovering the tactile experience of books. Like many, if reading a long article I much prefer a hard copy. It is all very well saying you can print bits you want to read, but that too goes against the ideals of a paperless future.

I dislike the modern thinking that assumes I have facilities such as printer, digital camera, and worst of all the plethora of cycling "aids" that assume I have a smartphone.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

tatanab wrote: ... A newspaper article tells us that people are beginning to reject e-readers and rediscovering the tactile experience of books. ...

And did that include newspapers? That's according to a newspaper.

For a long read, I too prefer a print version. I don't miss the CTC mag in any version.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The Independent newspaper stopped printing on paper nearly two years ago, will the dm follow soon?

I read a lot on my smartphone but have lots of books too, it is great to keep them

I do love books! There are enough books in the world to see us out and plenty more are being printed. Some bookshops close, but new ones open too, the Guardian reported that the number of "independent" bookshops has risen slightly after declining for some years
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 24 Jan 2018, 7:38pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Magazines were always delivered rolled up and held together with a sticky address lable. Whatever happened to them?
As a child our paper was delivered by the local service bus. The driver used to slow down and fling the paper across the front of the bus to land on our lawn. There’s another lost skill. :)
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
robgul

Post by robgul »

The label on a loose magazine is the best solution - I'm surprised at the number of catalogues that are sent that way (Boden has been doing it for ages - my wife, you understand, is a customer :roll: )

The "rolled up with a label" method went out when the sorting and handling processes at the General Post Office (as it was then) became more automated .... they need "flat" items to scan/code/handle.

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
mark a.

Post by mark a. »

It might be one of those things where sending the magazines in plastic is *more* environmentally friendly than dealing with returns / replacements / re-deliveries of less-protected magazines that get ripped, sodden etc. The latter requires more paper, more carbon from the delivery vans etc.
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Is the plastic used recyclable?
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

mjr wrote:Don't bin them. Put them in the larger supermarkets' plastic bag recycling bins.

So they can bin them?
mjr

Post by mjr »

Tangled Metal wrote:
mjr wrote:Don't bin them. Put them in the larger supermarkets' plastic bag recycling bins.

So they can bin them?

Oh please not that old myth again!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.