Cycle magazine not in plastic please.

Cyril Haearn

Re: Cycle magazine not in plastic please.

Post by Cyril Haearn »

mjr wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:
mjr wrote:Don't bin them. Put them in the larger supermarkets' plastic bag recycling bins.

So they can bin them?

Oh please not that old myth again!

I read the small print on food packing

Some can be recycled, some can not

I understand a lot of it is burnt
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mjr

Post by mjr »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
mjr wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:So they can bin them?

Oh please not that old myth again!

I read the small print on food packing

Some can be recycled, some can not

Indeed, but nearly all clear mailing wrappers are LDPE, although not all are stamped with the 4 in the plastics recycling triangle.

Cyril Haearn wrote:I understand a lot of it is burnt

Where do you understand that from? Do you mean the LDPE recycling or the residual (black bag) waste?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

In Germany a lot is burnt, what happens to paper for recycling depends on the market price, if money is to be made private firms get involved

What happens to non-recycleable stuff in the recycling bags?

A lot of plastic waste is exported to China, but this will soon be greatly reduced

What really happens to rubbish is rather mysterious but a couple of big tips near me have open days, maybe I will go along and ask some questions
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

mjr wrote:.....
Indeed, but nearly all clear mailing wrappers are LDPE, although not all are stamped with the 4 in the plastics recycling triangle.

One of the challenges with recycling is how to actually recycle a lot of recyclable things. (My understanding) the clear magazine wrappers cannot be put in the recycling bins in my area so I'd have to find somewhere else to put them (and my local supermarket does not have special bins - not that I've seen but I'm still reusing plastic bags from before the charge scheme started - they last ages).

I think it's a significant problem for recycling and not something I have any answers to. In my area a selected range of common recyclables are all put in the "Green Bin" and the Council sorts them out (but they don't accept e.g. magazine plastic bags and they get a lot of non recyclables in those bins). My parents have to do loads of sorting into quite a few different bins meaning their Council recycles a far narrower range of materials and spends more collecting them (but less sorting them).

And then there are quite a few products I suspect many don't bother to recycle because "it takes a bit more trouble" - e.g. I have a box that gradually accumulates used batteries and every few years it gets taken to a supermarket.

But how many people know how to responsibly dispose of energy saver bulbs (CFL) which contain some nasties (admission: I don't know).

Ian
mjr

Post by mjr »

Psamathe wrote:But how many people know how to responsibly dispose of energy saver bulbs (CFL) which contain some nasties (admission: I don't know).

There are collection boxes at Norfolk tips for light bulbs. The one at King's Lynn is usually half-way round by the small electrical items bin.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
rjb

Post by rjb »

The copies in my local library are on the shelf. Available to all and definitely not in plastic. :D
Just discovered them by accident and as i didnt renew my membership it useful to know. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

We have a couple of subscriptions to magazines which come in plastic wrappers, neither with any guidance about the plastic used. I try to be conscientious to the point of being obsessive about getting the recycling right, but anything with my name and address on is rendered illegible then into the black (general waste) bin. I don't want anybody coming round checking to see if, as a Radio Times subscriber I have a dog licence. :wink:

IME, a lot of supermarket packaging has useless info like "Plastic: check local recycling" without explaining what sort of plastic it is to facilitate a check.

Matt, the front page cartoonist in the Daily Telegraph, recently celebrated thirty years in the job. When interviewed for the telly, he mentioned how he had become like his readership, giving the example about worrying over his bins. That's me :oops:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

In Germany all packaging has to be recyclable and is marked
Packaging, plastic, bags, tins go in a yellow bag or bin, paper & cardboard go in a blue bin, food waste goes in a compost bin, glass goes in a special container
Alles in Ordnung!
roger

Post by roger »

That sounds like one of those European ideas that could have been forced on us.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

roger wrote:That sounds like one of those European ideas that could have been forced on us.

It's our planet - it's our habitat - we all live here - and if the Europeans are ahead of us in learning about the destructive damage we're doing, and learning how to get our act together to attempt to stop it, then good for the Europeans and it's time that we learnt.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

personally I would prefer Cycling to have an online option, similar to Velovision. It would save the need to recycle Paper as well, those who want a paper version could still get one, but you would have the option of a PDF format would bring it into the 20th century.
NUKe

Post by JohnW »

NUKe wrote:personally I would prefer Cycling to have an online option, similar to Velovision. It would save the need to recycle Paper as well, those who want a paper version could still get one, but you would have the option of a PDF format would bring it into the 20th century.

I understand the principle, and what I presume to be the ethical reasoning behind it, but I personally would still opt for the paper copy.

I think that a change back from polythene bag to paper envelope would be the right move.

Just my opinions.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Cycle will be delivered in recyclable plastic packaging* from the June/July issue: https://twitter.com/WeAreCyclingUK/stat ... 6236192769

*Whatever that means :wink: .
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

gaz wrote:Cycle will be delivered in recyclable plastic packaging* from the June/July issue: https://twitter.com/WeAreCyclingUK/stat ... 6236192769

*Whatever that means :wink: .

...............yes, whatever - in my ignorance I didn't know that the current plazzie bag isn't recyclable - just a plain, simple polythene bag/envelope isn't it? - not recyclable? Are there any boffins out there who know the facts?
PH

Post by PH »

I was pleased the latest edition of Arrivee, the Audax UK magazine, arrived in a paper envelope. It'll have a much smaller distribution than Cycle, but still to large for it to be someone doing it by hand.