water fountains how not to get something "bad"

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

water fountains how not to get something "bad"

Post by mercalia »

not sure where to put this item on water fountains. but could apply to any cyclist wanting to top up their water bottle,. I have never thought much about it until this article mentioned oral herpes that got my attention :lol:

fountains.JPG

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/shortcuts/2018/jan/23/how-to-drink-from-a-water-fountain-without-catching-something?utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GU+Today+main+NEW+H+categories&utm_term=261603&subid=23601318&CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2
Cyril Haearn

Re: water fountains how not to get something "bad"

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The rats of the air!

Actually it is a serious matter, I read about drinking fountains being set up so less bottled water would be bought

I always take my own tap water from home
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mjr

Post by mjr »

"The risk of getting herpes from the spout is almost negligible ... disease outbreaks from municipal water fountains are extremely rare and tend to be isolated cases ... Modern designs of water fountains are likely to pose a negligible risk to your health."

Basically, it seems unless you're going to lick it, it's about as likely to poison you as a water bottle that's been standing in a shop getting touched by mucky hands for days.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I was wondering about less lethal things like flu or just colds viruses. And the pigeon pictures make me wonder.

And to extend it further - the escalator plastic handles or the metal piping in buses we may handle.
Adnepos

Post by Adnepos »

I worry about the muck that comes off the road and settles on my water bottle.

A 'bit of grit' in the mouth is unpleasant but what germs or poisons might there be?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mercalia wrote:I was wondering about less lethal things like flu or just colds viruses. And the pigeon pictures make me wonder.

And to extend it further - the escalator plastic handles or the metal piping in buses we may handle.

Better to wear latex or nitrile gloves and a surgical face mask at all times when in public,just to be on the safe side :wink:
Last edited by reohn2 on 25 Jan 2018, 11:33am, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Adnepos wrote:I worry about the muck that comes off the road and settles on my water bottle.

A 'bit of grit' in the mouth is unpleasant but what germs or poisons might there be?

You can buy bidons with a cover over the drinking spout
W H Auden
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Adnepos wrote:I worry about the muck that comes off the road and settles on my water bottle.

Germs and poisons (i.e. impact on me) don't worry me unduly - just I don't really want to consume that stuff so I use a water bottle with a clip over cap (e.g. Nalgene ones).

Ian
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

I've filled up my water bottles on numerous occasions in France where this seems to be more common. A good opportunity to wash the lid during a long, hot day on the bike. I suspect the benefits of have plentiful water and the chance to give the cap a rinse far outweighs the perceived risks.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
ubert767

Post by ubert767 »

Has anyone heard anthing about the ending of the outrageous bottled water scam when passing through to airside at UK airports? I've searched high and low at Gatwick to find a useable water source to refill a water bottle, no joy.
cyclemad

Post by cyclemad »

there was a tv programme a couple of years ago that did tests on drinking bottles / fountains / taps etc and the most bacteria was found on cycle / gym refillable water bottles....I ALWAYS put my bidons in weak Milton fluid after every use...keeps the nasty at bay

I always worry about using communal taps after seeing a scrote letting his dog drink from a drinking water tap on a camp site...I ''pointed out the error of his ways'' politely ( almost ) but he just said he knew where his dog had been - ( having recently cleaned its buttock and balls no doubt it was a clean animal ! )
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

My Mam used to say "everyone eats about bucket of dirt in their lifetime and it doesn't do any harm" :mrgreen:
W H Auden