"A taste of freedom". Really?

horizon

"A taste of freedom". Really?

Post by horizon »

Well here's some insight into what we are up against:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... mpowerment

The "taste of freedom" come later in the article. I think the sight of children stuffed up in cars unable to play safely or indeed ever cycle on the road as youngsters says more about the effect on freedom than not being able to drive.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Cyril Haearn

Re: "A taste of freedom". Really?

Post by Cyril Haearn »

So: fewer young people are learning to drive, +1!
Maybe some will learn later, maybe some will never learn, +2!
I have seen the future and it works - London!
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Driving is not a necessity for the modern person, unless your job depends on it (delivery driver / builder etc,) I can see both sides.

I like driving so I am biased, a lot of drivers wish they did not have too.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Horizon
Did you read the comments?
The article is a glimpse backward to another time,things are changing,very,very slowly but there are signs.If the government can see and invest in a different future travel policy the pace of change may quicken......
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Clickbait? We can maybe be glad that a lot of opinion-forming goes on in London
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Clickbait? We can maybe be glad that a lot of opinion-forming goes on in London

Yep that that'll be about right.
The article is published at a time when car sales are falling so it's really an advertisement to go out and learn drive,as the open road beckons.
The thing is though reading the comments it appears to have backfired(sorry)on whoever funded it :wink:
W H Auden
horizon

Post by horizon »

reohn2 wrote:Horizon

I did (or at least some of them). My own impression is that fewer young people drive because it's quicker, easier and cheaper to cycle or use public transport or, in extremis, call on Mum and Dad (aka parents). Cheap flights are probably also a driver of this (if you'll excuse the pun): driving to Rhyl on holiday slightly pales in contrast to a couple of cheap flights to Ibiza. We're apparently at peak car.

And yes, Cyril Haearn, the article probably was clickbait. :D
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

horizon wrote:

I did (or at least some of them). My own impression is that fewer young people drive because it's quicker, easier and cheaper to cycle or use public transport or, in extremis, call on Mum and Dad (aka parents). Cheap flights are probably also a driver of this (if you'll excuse the pun): driving to Rhyl on holiday slightly pales in contrast to a couple of cheap flights to Ibiza. We're apparently at peak car.

Rhyl has an excellent train service, the lovely old semaphore signals are still in use and Llandudno is not far away
Rydwyn hoffi Cymru, we love Wales!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

horizon wrote:

Have you been to Rhyl? :shock:
W H Auden
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

reohn2 wrote:
horizon wrote:

Yes, several times, love to walk on the beach, made a special trip to ride on the miniature steam railway, stopped at Siop-y-Morfa the Welsh bookshop
Prestatyn is good too, one can walk up the main street and keep going till one gets to Chepstow
Penmaenmawr is the best place on the top of Wales mind
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
horizon wrote:

Yes, several times, love to walk on the beach, made a special trip to ride on the miniature steam railway, stopped at Siop-y-Morfa the Welsh bookshop
Prestatyn is good too, one can walk up the main street and keep going till one gets to Chepstow

You need a trip to Newborough beach on Anglesey,the most beautiful beach in North Wales by any stretch of the imagination :)
W H Auden
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

reohn2 wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Have you been to Rhyl? :shock:

You need a trip to Newborough beach on Anglesey :wink:

We both need a trip to Penrhyn Castle by Bangor, I have not been there but I read that the museum now shows history from the point of view of the labourers, not just the caPitalists
You "must" stop at the Marble Church too!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:

You need a trip to Newborough beach on Anglesey :wink:

We both need a trip to Penrhyn Castle by Bangor, I have not been there but I read that the museum now shows history from the point of view of the labourers, not just the caPitalists
You "must" stop at the Marble Church too!

Yes it's been a long time since we went to Bodelwydden :)
Not been to Penrhyn castle even though we're NT members thanks for the heads up :)
W H Auden
Wanlock Dod

Post by Wanlock Dod »

Guardian wrote:for many young people it’s an act of empowerment

Although it's only really an act of empowerment if people who can't drive (young, old, poor, disabled) are effectively excluded from the transport network because it is very heavily car focused. If we were to invest in good quality walking and cycling infrastructure perhaps young people wouldn't feel that they have been deliberately excluded from society. It is the ability to travel independently that is empowering, and cars only facilitate this in places where other modes of private transport are suppressed through high levels of motor traffic and a lack of safe facilities.

Do cars represent the same level of empowerment for young people in the Netherlands?
pwa

Post by pwa »

If my 18 year old daughter would learn to drive, and pass her test, I would experience more freedom. She would be able to ferry my elderly and infirm parents for medical appointments, freeing me up to get out on my bike a bit more. She would be able to drive herself to places hard to get to by public transport, freeing me and my wife from that job. She shows no interest in cars and I doubt she would ever become a heavy user.