How do you Prefer Your Hills?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

How do you prefer to conquer a mountain pass?

1 mile of 25%
11%
2 miles at 12-13%
14%
5 miles at a steady 5%
36%
5 miles of a mix of mostly uphill and level, with the occasional downhill bit. Steepest gradient of 10%
21%
20 miles at 1.25%
7%
100 miles, where climbing is on and off, never steeper than 3-4%
11%

Total votes: 28

tooley92

Post by tooley92 »

The infamous Rosedale Chimney used to be on one of my training routes many years ago (I lived in Pickering), the worst bit was trying to keep the front wheel on the road on the left hand hairpin, however I always found the straight after the hairpin the worst - legs burning by now. The descent into Hutton-le-hole being well worth the pain, my PB max was 62mph on the tri bars(phew) - Just look out for the sheep though.
Crazydave

Post by Crazydave »

I've found the tallest hills aren't necessarily the harshest climbs. There is only one road (a dead end) within a day return's ride of home, but there are enough 1 in 4s and 1 in 5s around here to keep you going. They're all buried on side roads, and are only locally famous. In fact the big hill names locally aren't the steepest -they're just the steepest main road climbs.
Cyril Haearn

Re: How do you Prefer Your Hills?

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I do wish the laws of physics could be changed so that one might cycle uphill without having to ride down again

One may still vote!
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

I prefer my (up) hills to have verges full of flowers.
And my (down) hills to be fast and sweeping with good surfaces.
And far reaching views from the top.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

how do i prefer my hills? flat. if I have to choose either a very very very very slight gradient for a 100 miles or a very very very very step gradient for 100 yards then flat so I can get off and walk
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Bwlch Llyn Bach from the south is one of the best
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
gaz

Post by gaz »

Hills where I can indulge my inner nemophilist. Bridleway MR11 from Nashenden Valley to the Robin Hood is an excellent example.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

For me the main thing is the visibility going downhill. Struggle uphill, then have to sit on the brakes going downhill on a single track road with loads of bends, high hedges/walls so you can't see what might be coming round the next corner and have to keep your speed down for safety.

Ian
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

I live in bristol and tend to prefer the back streets getting about as they're less polluted so I'm used to the short and sharp approach. I'm more Hoy than Frome in build as well.

Get it over with and have a breather at the top :lol:
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Stevek76 wrote:I live in bristol and tend to prefer the back streets getting about as they're less polluted so I'm used to the short and sharp approach. I'm more Hoy than Frome in build as well.

Well yeah - but a mile at 1in4 is a bit hefty.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Stevek76 wrote:I live in bristol and tend to prefer the back streets getting about as they're less polluted so I'm used to the short and sharp approach. I'm more Hoy than Frome in build as well.

Well yeah - but a mile at 1in4 is a bit hefty.
SmilerGB

Post by SmilerGB »

I like enjoy hills regardless I see each one as I challenge that needs to be conquered & the great feeling of accomplishment as you reach the brow.

Short & steep, treat it like a interval

Long & gradual, sit in & pace myself
The bicycle is a simple solution to some of the world's most complicated problems.