do we really need a traditional cooker anymore?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

Re: do we really need a traditional cooker anymore?

Post by mercalia »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Can they bake a cake?

i havent tried but seems some people do

https://recipes.sparkpeople.com/great-recipes.asp?food=halogen+oven+cake
RickH

Post by RickH »

Traditional cooker?

Ours is a 35 year old coal fired Aga! :D
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Can they bake a cake?

Yes, you can make a cake. I also made some very nice bread in it once, though it was a bit small as my Mum, being on her own, had the smallest size Remoska.
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

I got one of these halogen cookers. Too big for my kitchen and not really all that much use. It was cheap so off to the local charity shop ( which does take electrical stuff). Instead I went back to a Remoska which is much more useful. We had one before for our motorhome and it was great but then my late wife who had Parkinson’s and could get a bit confused washed the lid in the sink. I was not aware of this and it blew all the site fuses! Not a popular move but we used that site a lot and they forgave us.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Vorpal wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:12 years ago I installed an induction hob, the greenest and most powerful hob you can buy.

We have a partly induction hob (2 burners, the other 2 are ceramic) that came with our house, and the thing is absolutely awful. It has put Mr. V completely off induction hobs.

Even the conversion plate, which is designed for induction, doesn't work. We've tried cleaning it the hob, putting a little water between the hob & plate/pan, etc. Nothing works.

Ours is a Neff, sounds like yours is a Naff! :lol:

I bought a John Lewis induction saucepan. It took 3 times as long to boil a litre of water than the saucepans we already have! I took it back and got a refund. John Lewis werent interested in my complaint. The cheap thin steel Judge steel saucepans boil and heat the fastest. Expensive le Creuset cookware is also very good.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

al_yrpal wrote:
Ours is a Neff, sounds like yours is a Naff! :lol:

:lol: :lol: sounds about right!
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
cyclemad

Post by cyclemad »

I have a 4 oven AGA...wouldnt be without it.. Tried other modern fancy halogen etc and couldn't get my head round it ..Plus points ...its lovely and toasty in the kitchen while I type this :)
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

cyclemad wrote:I have a 4 oven AGA...wouldnt be without it.. Tried other modern fancy halogen etc and couldn't get my head round it ..Plus points ...its lovely and toasty in the kitchen while I type this :)

ah the glass bowl isnt for putting your head in, thats your mistake :wink:
Pastychomper

Post by Pastychomper »

ambodach wrote:We had one before for our motorhome and it was great but then my late wife who had Parkinson’s and could get a bit confused washed the lid in the sink. I was not aware of this and it blew all the site fuses! Not a popular move but we used that site a lot and they forgave us.

Don't worry, you were doing them a favour by finding the flaw in their wiring. If more than one fuse blew then the first one wasn't doing its job. 8)
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

I use a mix of oven/steamer/microwave

In the home, veg in the steamer, meat in the oven (or frypan, depending)

In the caravan, veg in the microwave, meat/pies etc. in the little gas oven.

Wouldn't be without an oven, far too useful.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
SmilerGB

Post by SmilerGB »

I use my slow cooker far more then I use my oven.
The bicycle is a simple solution to some of the world's most complicated problems.