Lon Las Cymru Elan valley area

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
fausto copy

Lon Las Cymru Elan valley area

Post by fausto copy »

Has anyone ridden the section between Elan Valley and Llanwrthwl lately?

The last time I did it (quite a few years ago) there were fallen trees across the lane and most of it was completely unrideable.
I'm just wondering if it ever got tarmacced as I'm hoping to take a few 83 year-olds over that section later in the year.

fausto.
whoof

Re: Lon Las Cymru Elan valley area

Post by whoof »

I rode from Rhayader to Aberystwyth via Elan Village and the reservoir, this wasn't recently but more recent than you (17 months ago). I think we either did it on the 81 route or the road that runs next to it. 'Road' bikes and 25 mm tyres and no problems. In terms of traffic please see below from Google Streetview, rush-hour- two blokes on bikes and the Street-view car.
r1.jpg
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

Hi Whoof, yes, you were on the main road, whereas I want to be on the narrow lane turning south after leaving Elan Valley visitor centre (B4518 near Dolafallen) towards Llanwrthwl.
pwa

Post by pwa »

See if you can find it on googlemaps streetview.

Edit. If it is the road I think it is, it looks like a very nice, narrow tarmac lane on Streetview at several points I looked at. Perfect cycling.
Tail End Charlie

Post by Tail End Charlie »

I did that loop in August last year. Road surface is fine and there was no traffic. There are some hilly parts though. I hope I could do it at 83!
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

Hi chaps, for some reason I never imagined that the googlecar would have got up those lanes and hence didn't even bother to look.
Having now done so, the route seemed rather familiar and I reckon we must have ridden it since the trip I spoke about. :roll:
Anyway, it's now firmly entrenched in my 40 mile guided ride, happy in the knowledge that the 83 year-olds will have no problems at all.......
though us younger ones may struggle. :wink:

Cheers, fausto.

As an aside, wouldn't it be great if instead of having to click on streetview for each stepped photo, one could view it as a fairly seamless video.