How to get fit again

oldmanonabike

How to get fit again

Post by oldmanonabike »

I fell of my bike two weeks ago.
The bruising on my shoulder,side and leg has just about gone but the fractured ribs are a bit of a pain.
Still these will heal unlike the cycling coat, overshoes and helmet which will need replacement.
I've been told I should be back on the bike in about six weeks so four to go
I need to be ready for a Lejog ride taking place the last week in June and the first week in July.
Can anyone suggest a training plan to get me ready for then?
At 70 years of age things like going to work or taking days off are not a problem, spending large amounts of cash would be
I'm not getting older,just gaining more experience
PH

Re: How to get fit again

Post by PH »

I'm no expert other than having come back from several bouts of illness or injury.
Were you fit enough before the fall, or were you on a training plane that's now behind? If it's the former, then I wouldn't worry too much, try and keep active while off the bike and you should be able to get back to where you were in roughly half the time you've had off - so three weeks.
When the time comes, little and often would be a good start, once you're comfortable with an hours riding, listen to your body, the ideal is to come home tiered but recover within a reasonable time. If you haven't recovered in the same time you've ridden, you're doing too much and should back off. That "recovery time = ride time" is what you're probably aiming for on Lejog, even if you start with an hour, so one hours ride and an hour off and fit for another one hour ride, it just scales up.
If you were already on a training plan, I'm not sure how you'll ramp it up, but the same idea not to push too hard still applies.
Good luck
horizon

Post by horizon »

I'm not an expert but from what you describe I would say that rebuilding your confidence would be tougher than rebuilding your fitness. You don't say what happened but given your age (well, actually any age) I'm very impressed that it's the fitness that bothers you! Great!
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

Well I fractured my rib a while ago and they said 4 weeks, back on my bike in two so it depends on your level of pain threshold :-)

Seriously you will lose fitness but during the injury are you able to walk, if so with no real time constraints do that. Then when back not he bike, plenty of time left, they say for every week off you lose a month of fitness, no so sure on that as others say the base takes a long time. If back say mid March I would say do what you normally do but maybe stick on an extra 20-30 mins of low intensity ride to the end of each one.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Here you go Oldman https://landsend-to-johnogroats.co.uk/t ... ign=buffer
There’s loads of time you can even revert to the 8 week plan
Meanwhile I’d agree with loads of walking.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Ask your GP for advice, and listen to your body. Pain means stop, otherwise you will delay the healing process.

That said, as soon at you can breathe well enough for it, without too much pain, start using a turbo trainer or spinning bike. If you don't have one, there is likely to be a council run facility near you that has spinning bikes, or maybe you can borrow a turbo trainer from someone. You will likely be able to use a turbo trainer or spinning bike long before you can ride on the road. That was my experience, at least.

In the meanwhile, take gentle exercise, walking or swimming, as soon at it doesn't hurt too much.

When you can cycle again, cycle often and build up the miles gradually adding 10 miles every 3rd or 4th ride should be good for both gradual increases, and getting to your goal. Chances are, if you keep as active as you can manage, that won't lose much in the way of endurance muscle; you will lose some fitness, especially saddle-fitness, and it's mostly that you will need to rebuild.

Don't push too hard, and don't fret about it. You will still have plenty of time to train for LEJoG.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I had 4 months off the bike last year. Didn't ride for the whole of August, Sept, October and most of November. I started off just doing short, steady 20 milers but I can do back to back 50 milers now, so more or less back to normal. You just need to ride your bike, take it steady to start with, but fitness soon comes back. I broke away from the group with 3 miles to go to the cafe today, and was keeping up 17-18 mph average, going through and off with another guy and had no problems doing my turn.

I still lack a bit of top end speed and my climbing is not the best, but stamina comes back pretty quickly.

I tried walking and was doing 10,000 steps a day, but it doesn't maintain your aerobic fitness, which had completely gone. First ride out, my wife was dropping me on every little rise and I was struggling to do 12 mph.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

5 months might not sound much but it's really a long way off! I had the misfortune of a 15 week layoff due to illness last year, returning to the bike in July. I've lost almost 15kg and gone from struggling to do 10km to rides of up to 170km - not full fitness for me but there again i'm not quite 55!

In 3/4 weeks you will have lost some fitness of course and as has been mentioned, some confidence. Start small and don't push things, building up slowly. You don't need to get into epic ride mode for months so just enjoy riding again, maybe add 10% distance per week over 6 weeks, gradually increasing intensity.

Steady will get you there and remember that rest is essential in any fitness plan so allow yourself time to sit and do nothing after a ride, it will aid muscle recovery and so allow a quicker return to a given fitness level.

Good luck on your ride
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
mjr

Post by mjr »

I posted it a while ago, but my ideal scaling-up plan when I'm back on the bike is 2 miles (village shop and back), 7 miles (doctors' or next village's shop and back), 10 miles (town and back), 20km, 30km, 25 miles, 50km, 40 miles, 50 miles, 100km, 75 miles, 150km, 100 miles, repeating each distance until it comes easily enough that I feel I can move up to the next without wiping myself out. I mostly look for group rides that I can incorporate into this, especially for the longer distances, as it simplifies route-finding, motivation during the ride and any incident recovery should it be needed. It also gives a nice progress of milestones, hence the mix of metric and imperials. Mmmmm mint imperials...
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

Thanks for all the advice , the past year helping organise the lejog for June gives me the motivation to continue and get fit enough to take part.
I will train based on what's been said and refer back for inspiration
Lambo

Post by Lambo »

I crashed on a downhill right hander, result, broken collarbone, ribs, damaged shoulder blade, numerous grazes including face arm and both knees. Hurt like hell at the time and for some months afterwards. Doc said no cycling until recovered, prob 6 to 8 weeks. This was beginning of October, couldn't stand the inactivity, so, 2 weeks later, back in the saddle on the gents tourer, flat bars etc, minimal discomfort and a steady 11 miles with a mate, just in case, felt much better for getting out on the bike again.
Initially my collarbone didn't heal as fast as doc was expecting, but last weeks xray has confirmed everything ok again.
Broken ribs were feeling pretty much ok by December but Friday after Christmas, a simple slip on black ice busted the same ones again and just about ok now and back up to speed again.
Take it steady and do what you feel is ok healthwise, good luck, Lambo
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

Lambo wrote:I crashed on a downhill right hander, result, broken collarbone, ribs, damaged shoulder blade, numerous grazes including face arm and both knees. Hurt like hell at the time and for some months afterwards. Doc said no cycling until recovered, prob 6 to 8 weeks. This was beginning of October, couldn't stand the inactivity, so, 2 weeks later, back in the saddle on the gents tourer, flat bars etc, minimal discomfort and a steady 11 miles with a mate, just in case, felt much better for getting out on the bike again.
Initially my collarbone didn't heal as fast as doc was expecting, but last weeks xray has confirmed everything ok again.
Broken ribs were feeling pretty much ok by December but Friday after Christmas, a simple slip on black ice busted the same ones again and just about ok now and back up to speed again.
Take it steady and do what you feel is ok healthwise, good luck, Lambo

You're a braver man than me
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

You'll never know if you don't try it.
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

Thanks for all the replies and advice.
I had my first short 5mile ride yesterday and it felt great but tiring.
I have 103 days to get ready for the planned LEJOG so no time to waste
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

oldmanonabike wrote:Thanks for all the replies and advice.
I had my first short 5mile ride yesterday and it felt great but tiring.
I have 103 days to get ready for the planned LEJOG so no time to waste

+1 we are with you all the way
Do keep us updated please
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies