Attaching lights, computers, bottles to recumbents

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
Tangled Metal

Attaching lights, computers, bottles to recumbents

Post by Tangled Metal »

Just got a HPV streetmachine and need to equip for use on the roads. Lights, water holders, computers, etc.

What do you use?

Most of my lights are seat post attached. Another one fits on a bracket to my rack, but I can't now because I've got a full set of reflectors (compliant to regulations for the first time since a kid) and want to keep them.

Any recommendations? I've only found a thread relating to trikes and I think two wheeled recumbents are more than enough different to deserve their own thread on this matter.
NUKe

Re: Attaching lights, computers, bottles to recumbents

Post by NUKe »

Replace the rear light on the rack with rear with integral reflector, front you can attach to the post for your front mech. My front is a B&M dynamo I have this attached via one of the screws in the mech stub

Bottles I have a rucksack on the seat back, if I am carrying bottles I use the side pockets, but I cant reach behind to get one out (might just be my lack of flexibility) If I am on a longer ride and want to be able to drink on the go. I use a bladder in the rucksack with a drinking tube. Which sits behind my head when not in use. There are some under seat mounting points for a bottle carrier, but you need the HPV mounting kit though.
NUKe

Post by [XAP]Bob »

On the rapto I have a reflector on the (ICE) headrest (which is borderline, the reflector should be attached to a moving part of the vehicle - mine isn't, but it's on P Clips, so that it can spin out of the way when the tailbox is opened).
There is also a toplight mini on the rear of the tailbox itself.
I also have a battery blinky on a metal bracket which is held in place by the QR skewer.

At the front end there is a proper light mount, so the dynamo light just bolts on as designed.

For drinks I have a bottle cage on the back of the seat, but I don't like using it. If I am doing a long ride (more than an hour) then I'll pop a bladder in the tailbox - I have a tube hole in the front which brings the tube nicely over my shoulder (but is closed off with a nylon nut and bolt when not in use)

When I need a computer I strap it onto the frame just between my legs, which puts it only a little way under my natural eyeline.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Alll sorts of options, but the quickest and cheapest is the minor SpaceGrip... old style

Fit it on the derailleur stem and fit the same lights you would on a normal bike

On the rear, dismantle the SpaceGrip and drill a small hole through the seat and mount the metal u shaped bracket to the seat

Then fit the end piece and the actual bar either upright or horizontal depending on the requirement

For the computer the simplest option is a handlebar bracket such as the Profile Design:

Fits around the bars and allows any handlebar computer to mount
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

For drinks, the Camelbak "Unbottle" works wonders

A couple of webbing straps around the seat and it fits unnoticeably bin the dead space behind the seat

Flick the tube over your shoulder and you are away
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Not sure fitting anything to the bars would work on USS. There's a bottle cage sticking out the front of the boom so I guess there's two bolts. There must be some bracket that bolts to that which can take a horizontal bar for lights but also keep the bottle cage. I vaguely remember seeing something like that.

My current bike light setup includes a very good light with lasers that create two red lines on the ground either side of your bike as well as a 250 lumens daylight light option. It needs an angled vertical bar to attach to. Basically a seatpost. I don't want to screw holes into the CF seat so that leaves the end of the rack. Ideally something that fits under the existing reflector. I guess that'll take some bodging. Not my strong point.

I had an insulated bladder once like the unbottle. In fact I think it was the original version of it. There were strapping points to attach to the outside of a rucksack. IIRC I used it that way strapped to the side of my rucksack because it was easier to refill.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Tangled Metal wrote:Not sure fitting anything to the bars would work on USS. There's a bottle cage sticking out the front of the boom so I guess there's two bolts. There must be some bracket that bolts to that which can take a horizontal bar for lights but also keep the bottle cage. I vaguely remember seeing something like that.

My current bike light setup includes a very good light with lasers that create two red lines on the ground either side of your bike as well as a 250 lumens daylight light option. It needs an angled vertical bar to attach to. Basically a seatpost. I don't want to screw holes into the CF seat so that leaves the end of the rack. Ideally something that fits under the existing reflector. I guess that'll take some bodging. Not my strong point.

I had an insulated bladder once like the unbottle. In fact I think it was the original version of it. There were strapping points to attach to the outside of a rucksack. IIRC I used it that way strapped to the side of my rucksack because it was easier to refill.

The handlebar mount worked on mine for many years

Beware of the bottle mounts

I mounted a simple length of old handlebar tube on the Gekko fittings, and mounted a pair of Hope Diablos

They tore out the braze-on from the frame

When I queried this with HPVelotechnik they were clear that there they are designed ro share the weight of a bottle and the hat a set of lights mounted in this way were outside the design and performance parameters
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

CF seat? I think that was an option, but fibreglass was the standard, and it should take careful drilling and/or glueing okay for your whizzy back light. You might put bottle holders behind your hips that way too, I'm pretty sure the "official" ones go there, as seen on:

I use an Ortlieb bottle holder that mounts on a pannier in the same way as their detachable pockets. It's accessible on bags on either the rear rack or the lowrider. I have used a bladder sat on the rack, but ICBA with the faff any more.

Front light on mine is a dynamo one that sits on a mounting spar on the underside of the front of the of the boom. I'd think the derailleur post would be the easiest to put something on.

Can't help with the computer, never had one on any of my bikes.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...