The Tragic Proliferation of ‘Drive-Cycling’

recumbentpanda

The Tragic Proliferation of ‘Drive-Cycling’

Post by recumbentpanda »

I am lucky to live close to some very good ( and practically useful ) off road cycle paths. It is very noticeable over the last ten years that there has been a significant increase in people driving to the paths in order to cycle, to the extent that on weekends and in school holidays, parking is becoming an issue.

Does any one agree with me that it is a thoroughly bad thing that cycling becomes a thing like skiing or kayaking, that you have to go somewhere to do, rather than something you do to go somewhere?

Now before this thread, if it becomes a thread, is inundated with anecdotes about how people absolutely MUST drive to ride, for a dozen different reasons, all of them incontrovertible, I would like to say that if we are at all successful in changing the culture of drivers on our roads, the dwindling of this particular piece of ‘sensible insanity’ will be a good index.
reohn2

Re: The Tragic Proliferation of ‘Drive-Cycling’

Post by reohn2 »

The problem with cycling to go somewhere for many is a stressful experience,that's because of the lack of cycling infrastructure and the agressive nature of drivers toward cyclists on UK roads.
As a result people,especially families feel the need to drive and ride on offroad facilities.
It's that simple,and until something is done such as providing safe quality infrastructure that goes places instead of only somewhere to go to,to ride,it will remain part of UK cycling life.
Though I wouldn't hold my breath for this situation to change anytime soon with the current government outlook on transport and cycling facilities.
Nor would I count on UK cycling bodies to make any dent in government policy especially CUK,as it's funding may be cut if it makes too much of the wrong noise.
It's what you get with salaried execs and a gravy train to ride on.
YVMV mine won't
Last edited by reohn2 on 31 Jan 2018, 8:53pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Yes it is a tragedy but not quite as bad as the twitchers who drive hundreds of miles to see (they think) a special bird
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

A source of regret, but some way short of a tragedy, I'd say.
hemo

Post by hemo »

I thinks it's a one up man ship/car thing and you can't have fun riding with out going by car to show off your possessions a bit like roof bar skiers in their Audi's. Though some folk don't always tie their bike on properly only last week I heard a clatter as two mtb;s fell off a car roof on to Chalkpit Road in Dorking.

I probably can't talk as all my riding is electric assisted but everywhere I go by ebike is from home nr Gatwick so whether it's mtb to Surrey Hills/ North Downs 15/16 miles or to the S/Downs 18 odd miles nearest to bottom of downs, but I do at least cycle and have to pedal to get where I'm going to & ride a route before riding for home which I do all year round. Contrary to a lot of belief ebikes still wear you out if you ride far enough.
I can ride a 60% off road route to the North and a 80% cycle route to the South if I wish to, planning is everything and all viable routes can be found on OS Explore maps or opern streel maps etc.
whoof

Post by whoof »

recumbentpanda wrote:I am lucky to live close to some very good ( and practically useful ) off road cycle paths.

Firstly,Some people aren't.

I used to drive to races. If you considered this in isolation it appeared to increase the amount of motorised traffic on the road. However as I needed to train and make the most of my time I commuted far more miles each year than I drove to races. I stopped racing 12 years ago but I still commute more than 5000 miles a year. You have made some assumptions which may or may not be true.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Nonsense.
I live on top of a big hill in S. Yorks.
The first 10 - 15 miles of every ride-out covers the same roads .... boring roads.
So sometimes i drive to Gainsborough, do a 50 mile loop across new pastures and drive home.
I drive to the start of sportives, and ride the loop.
I even get the train away and ride back.
The latest "Drive-Ride" was from Bawtry .... 40 miles of new roads and good fun.
Taking the Girls for a cycle by the canal is an 8 mile drive to the start, but the 6 and 8 year olds love their rides on a Sunday.
Shall i stop them having such fun and exercise.
The only thing "Tragic" about this post is the lack of choice it raises and the need some people have to make others feel bad about Cycling !
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

landsurfer wrote:Nonsense.
The first 10 - 15 miles of every ride-out covers the same roads .... boring roads.
So sometimes i drive to Gainsborough, do a 50 mile loop across new pastures and drive home.
The latest "Drive-Ride" was from Bawtry .... 40 miles of new roads and good fun.
Taking the Girls for a cycle by the canal is an 8 mile drive to the start, but the 6 and 8 year olds love their rides on a Sunday.
The only thing "Tragic" about this post is the lack of choice it raises and the need some people have to make others feel bad about Cycling !

I love riding the same way again and again, the weather and colours change each time and I can not get lost
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Cyril Haearn wrote:I love riding the same way again and again, the weather and colours change each time and I can not get lost

Fair comment, well made ....
Be more Mike.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Phew. I thought this was going to be a rant against the growth in 'park and pedal'.

I wouldn't worry much. Eventually, they'll feel able to ride all the way, or they'll be so many that the cycleways get extended to the nearby homes to ease the car parking problem.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
landsurfer wrote:Nonsense.

I love riding the same way again and again, the weather and colours change each time and I can not get lost

I think this shows a little about how everyone's different. Is there really any need to put our viewpoints on others?

There's nothing wrong with driving to cycle somewhere. There's many reasons why but tbh why should anyone have to justify their decisions to anyone.

However if you want to know my reasons they include safety for my 5 year old (and when he was younger). Not many off road cycleways nearby. The ones we have we've ridden so many times and even the local ones take time and distance to get to. If you're with a child who only has limited miles in his legs then skipping the closest parts to explore more is needed.

With a young child you have to keep their interest in the activities you like to do. Cycling the same, single off road route from our door we'd soon lose his interest in cycling. It's only the same as walking which we also do by driving places first. Only there's more walking routes from our house.

Any activity we do outside work is about enjoyment and release. Putting restrictions on how we go about our free time could affect that. If shopping is your thing then would you get your fix by going to the village shop or do you need to drive an hour to get to the Trafford Centre? How about holidays? We're an island nation so wherever you are you're not far from the sea, why fly to Spain for a beach holiday? Whatever your leisure activity the likelihood is you'll travel to do it at some point.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

deliquium of this parish does it right, he cycles only, 10 000 miles a year, no bus no car :D
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

If it happens enough, it raises the prospect of increased cycling resulting in increased motoring. But I guess the motorists would be driving to other leisure activities if they weren't going cycling - so perhaps not.

Anyway, here's a very old (and crappily drawn) picture I did many years ago on the subject.

riding 3.jpg
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Cyril Haearn wrote:deliquium of this parish does it right, he cycles only, 10 000 miles a year, no bus no car :D

Let me guess ... Single ? :D
Be more Mike.
rickd

Post by rickd »

Before I took up cyclng I was a walker and most weekends drove up to the peak district to do some walking. My cycling involves much less use of the car - in part because its more hassle and takes away time I could be cycling. However I sometimes use the car to travel to an audax in a new or interesting area; other times we might go as a family to ride one of the trails in the peak district for a day out. To me its not either or its a balance.